Floor Mats and Foot Rest

Smiley2010

:
Mazda 3, GS W/Comfort Package 2010
Hi Guys,

I just recently picked up a OEM rubber mat for my new Mazda3 hatch. It was pretty pricy at $85 (dealer made this whole show about how they were giving it to me at 30$+ discount). It’s a bit pricier than what you can pick up from hadware stores but it fits the car perfectly so I can't complain. Looks pretty sharp too with very thick good rubber materials.

One issue that I do have is that the driver side mat does not cover the left foot rest. I drive a stick so my left foot is resting on that side quite often and the whole reason behind getting the mats was for the winter when the weather turns nasty and I'm going to be treading salt in to the car.

I'm thinking about picking up some foot rest/+racing pedal covers. Anyone know if I can just drill/screw on the foot pedals on the left side? I'm just worried about puncturing through the metal (corroding it or what not).

Let me know if you guys have any cool pics you've come across.

Thanks for your input!

Sucks you bought those ones, you could have got weathertech ones for just a bit more and they cover up that area perfectly. I picked up a set.

Hi Guys,

I just recently picked up a OEM rubber mat for my new M 3 hatch. It was pretty pricy at $85 (dealr made this whole show about how they were giving it to me at 30$+ discount). Its a bit pricier than what you can pick up from hadware stores but it fits the car perfectly so I can't complain. Looks pretty sharp too with very thick good rubber materials.

One issue that I do have is that the driver side mat does not cover the left foot rest. I drive a stick so my left foot is resting on that side quite often and the whole reason behind getting the mats was for the winter when the weather turns nasty and I'm going to be treading salt in to the car.

I'm thinking about picking up some foot rest/+racing pedal covers. Anyone know if I can just drill/screw on the foot pedals on the left side? I'm just worried about puncturing through the metal (corroding it or what not).

Thanks for your input!

When/if you do pick up some "racing" or aftermarket pedals, be aware that the 3's pedals are so damn small and awkward that you need to get a slightly beefy pair of replacements. I tried to swap mine out with these small thin garbage things and they looked like crap, and the install was nearly impossible.

I noticed the same as well...didn't make much sense to me either. The drivers side mats is unbelievably small. I might actually be lookin into the weathertech as well...the standard just doesn't look like it's gonna guard much...

Sucks you bought those ones, you could have got weathertech ones for just a bit more and they cover up that area perfectly. I picked up a set.

slightly more ($99) for the fronts but as a set it's $160 for front and rear. it's $80 for front and rear for the stock set. not saying the stock set is better...the amount that these cover is actually VERY good...just quite pricey.

i'm curious though...are they thicker rubber or are they just plastic covers?

Well I don't have people in the back of my car so I couldn't care less about those. And I mean you can get them in group buys elsewhere for less than 160$.

They are thin molded rubber and I assume some plastic for strength. And they cover the entire floor.

I can see the appeal of the WeatherTechs for folks who want to protect everything but to my eye they are a bit excessive. I want to keep my carpet clean because I enjoy the look of it. I don't want to completely cover it.

That said, I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I'll be going with the OEM rubberized floor mats because they're closest to what I'm look for but I share his frustration about the lack of coverage an the lack of a dead pedal.

slightly more ($99) for the fronts but as a set it's $160 for front and rear. it's $80 for front and rear for the stock set. not saying the stock set is better...the amount that these cover is actually VERY good...just quite pricey.

i'm curious though...are they thicker rubber or are they just plastic covers?

They're thick. Almost an inch. Got a very good feel and very good quality materials. It just doesn't cover much surface area. And ofcourse the short sight of not covering the left foot rest for standard transmission cars. Not sure if this is due to a difference in design between the Automatics and Standard transmission foot rests...

Cool. I did hear about those liability issues somewhere.

As for the mats that I got I love them its just the lack of coverage that I'm concerned about. For rain I'm on the same boat it should be fine. Infact with most of the snow I saw accumulated on the OEM mats. Not much spillage as it does a nice job of pooling it. I'm worried about getting the salt from the sidewalks into the carpet. I remember once you do that the carpet never really looks the same after that (unless maybe you get it shampooed)

As for that idea of having some garbage bags under the OEM mats I think I'll do that on mine for the driver side. Thanks for the tip!

The Mazda driver's side stock mat is JUNK with a stick; I wore a hole in it with my accelerator foot in 12,000 miles - there's no heel pad! Clutch side is wearing, too. I'll be buying some aluminum plate this weekend and fix that. The Weathertechs fit almost perfect for my winter driving.

Also - why would Mazda carpet the dead pedal on the left? A nice rubber patch or metal plate would have been nice.

Now, next week I get to install the Corksport dual exhaust on my toy 2.5s (shipped out tonite) and the intake a week later. Jason - when will we see the short shifter?

Last edited:

I had the same issue.

So I picked up a set of these pedals from Xenon Expert.

IMG_4792.jpg

Last edited:
i finally got my mats. they rock! it covers about 2/3 of the dead pedal. the other side covers ALL the passenger carpet. a detailer's dream! :D

i finally got my mats. they rock! it covers about 2/3 of the dead pedal. the other side covers ALL the passenger carpet. a detailer's dream! :D

Nice. I only use the bottom 2/3 of the dead pedal area anyway. Once my foot is off the clutch, I just rotate it on my heel until I can rest it one the dead pedal area. Seems like these will be perfect :)

I ordered mind Saturday, hopefully they will be here sometime this week.

Hi Guys,

I just recently picked up a OEM rubber mat for my new M 3 hatch. It was pretty pricy at $85 (dealr made this whole show about how they were giving it to me at 30$+ discount). Its a bit pricier than what you can pick up from hadware stores but it fits the car perfectly so I can't complain. Looks pretty sharp too with very thick good rubber materials.

Thanks for your input!
I have been looking for an alternative to OEM for a while. Here is a great solution I found: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It has color options too.

Back