First post. differences vs model yearS?

Let me start by saying Hello! and also, this is awsome.. one of 3 forums i have found that get past our firewalls and filters here at work. AND it is for the car i am thinking of getting. (though just the 3, not the speed)

On that note, is this for the 3 AND the speed3, or just the faster one...?
My main question is, what is the differences between all the model years. I'm thinking of the 5 door and it looks like the 04's were the first model year? and comeing down to sub $15,000. When have any major changes been done? engine, overall performance, anything else? even minor details... Thanks a lot in advance, and i hope i can post on here more often to keep be awake at work!

Let me start by saying Hello! and also, this is awsome.. one of 3 forums i have found that get past our firewalls and filters here at work. AND it is for the car i am thinking of getting. (though just the 3, not the speed)

On that note, is this for the 3 AND the speed3, or just the faster one...?
My main question is, what is the differences between all the model years. I'm thinking of the 5 door and it looks like the 04's were the first model year? and comeing down to sub $15,000. When have any major changes been done? engine, overall performance, anything else? even minor details... Thanks a lot in advance, and i hope i can post on here more often to keep be awake at work!

Hi-

Everyone here will reccomend the "fast one" In all of our honest opinion, there is no other choice.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase that to get at least one more answer... is there anything mechanical that would persuade me to get an 06 over an 05 or 04 mazda3 becides the fact that it is a year or 2 newer? I want to know if it is worth the extra money to get a newer model. thanks again!

Assuming the reg. 3 has the same warranty as the speed, at least get one that is still under factory warranty. 3 year 36k miles. If it is an 04, make sure that you know the "in service date" or date of purchase. That is the start of the 3 year warranty.

Good luck with a purchase.

Biggest difference I would say is that 04 and 05 have the 4 spd auto transmission and the 06,07,08 have 5 spd auto transmission (on higher trims I think, S I believe it is in the US)
All years of 5 spd manual. The Speed3 has 6spd manual.
The 5 spd cars should get better fuel mileage.

The rest is pretty much the same. There is an mp3 jack in the 07's and higher.

Back