factory tint levels

edmo

:
Mazda 3 2010
Does anyone know what the factory tint levels are on the 2015/2016 CX5 GTs? I want to get a 2016, but one of the things I don't like is the two tone effect of the windows.

I was wondering if I got the front side windows increased to the same tint as the rear side windows if that would pass state inspection (front side windows must let > 25% of light in).

Does anyone know the exact tint spec of the rear side windows?

25% is very close to what the backs are someone had it " gauged" and it was some odd number like 26%. I'm surprised you can go that dark down there, but then it is Texas! Most folks go 35% on thr fronts and that looks decent.

I got 35% on my fronts and it's definitely a shade lighter. Interesting thing is the guy said if I went with their next darkest tint it would have been a shade darker than the backs. I didn't ask what percentage it would have been though.

Yeah, I believe the backs are between 20-25%. I had the front side windows tinted to 35%, which is the lowest legal limit for Washington state. I was tempted to go 30% but eh... I'd rather not deal with the chance of getting pulled over. :p

I have a 2015 CX-5 GS. When I went to get my front windows tinted the guy said it was 20% in the back. In Ontario the most you can do up front is 35%, but the back can be as dark as you want.

I'm thinking about getting the Sport and then tinting the rear windows to look just like a Touring or GT. I have no idea what that would cost though. Can anyone give me some idea?

I'm thinking about getting the Sport and then tinting the rear windows to look just like a Touring or GT. I have no idea what that would cost though. Can anyone give me some idea?

Why not go to the horses mouth and call a few tint shops?

I went with 30% and it's a pretty close match to the rears. It's slightly lighter, but not enough for me to care/notice. I paid $60 to have both fronts done.

cool thanks for the info. $30 per window is very reasonable

Last edited:
We did 20% on the fronts. It is a bit darker than the factory rear tint, but the extra light coming in though the clear windshield makes it look like an almost exact match.

I have the '15 CX-5 GT and had the front windows tinted day of purchase, but last week got the rear windshield tinted darker for more privacy at the dealership. I could have also applied another layer to the other windows but didn't need to look suspicious...or make moving my girl at night hard to see.

Poor Ol' White Boy

What is the standard factory tint? Ours appears to have all windows tinted to about 35 or 40 percent.

Hi. I bought a 2016 CX-5 T recently and have the same question. I know the rear door windows have some tint on them as I can see the difference between them and the front door windows. What I don't know for sure is if the front door windows and the windshield have any tint on them at all? I'm a poor old white boy and have very little pigment in my skin to protect me (I burn, don't tan).

I'm having my front windows done in about a week. I told the guy to make the call on what would look best. He said he would meter them and let me know what the rears were and tint the front as close as he can. He did say if anything it's a bit more common for people to go slightly darker in the front rather then slightly lighter as the front windscreen lets in so much light. When it's a bit darker it looks to be closer match. I'm thinking it will be either 30% or 25% either way I just hope it matches. I'll report back with pics when it's done.

I didn't read all the replies, so excuse me if it's been answered!
I had my windows done a few weeks ago, and I had them meter the factory windows in the rear, so my fronts would match.
my 2016 GT metered out at 16% for factory.
I had the fronts done at 15%. You cannot tell the difference at all from the outside but, if you are on the inside, you can see the slight difference.

I wonder why they went with an odd % like 16% instead of something more common like 20%? I got my front ones done the day I bought my '16. I wanted to go 20% since both the tint guy and myself thought it looked like 20%. Unfortunately, the legal limit in MO is 30%, so I went with that. Was close to going with 20% until both the guys in the shop said they've been pulled over multiple times and fined $150 for 20% and less. Didn't want the hassle and worry, so stuck with 30%.

27% is the legal limit here. Every car I have ever owned, that got tinted, was tinted to 20%. I have been pulled over, more times than I should admit, and have never gotten a ticket (knock-on-wood) I am though, a little worried about the 15% now. The city and County of Denver seem to be the place where they really hand out the window tint tickets.

Back