Factory Navigation Installed Tomorrow

zoomzoom1587

:
Mazda CX5 Touring AWD
Although the reviews for the Factory Navigation have been average at best, I decided to include it on my Christmas list this year and will be having it installed by my local dealership tomorrow.

To me it will get me from point A to B, with a few bells and whistles that I did not have in my old Garmin portable unit (updated traffic, red light cams etc, voice control etc) The most important thing to me was integration and that is what sold it for me; its plug and play ease.

Hopefully the installation goes off without a hitch! ;)

Let us know what you think of the Navigation, and if you could, it would be interesting to see what updates it needs when you go on TomTom home. I think you are the first one I have seen adding it on, so your feedback will be well recieved.

I've thought about adding it too. I know the common comments are more in favor of a portable one but the biggest plus for me is always having it one button push away.

I don't like leaving a portable one up all the time as it is just too tempting for someone to smash the window and walk away with it. And, for me, it is too much of a pain always taking down a portable one, unplugging it and stashing it away. Plus the little suction mark on the window tells everyone that you've probably got one in the car.

But I find it would be nice quite often to have one up and running. Not have to dig it out and plug it in and waiting for a portable one to find the satellites; especially while moving can seem to take a long time.

There is one point on my commute where I can turn off the freeway and cut across on surface streets but it adds about 5-10 minutes to the drive. If I know there is bad traffic ahead on the freeway then it makes it worth it to turn off and deal with the traffic lights for half the commute. If the traffic updates are good then it would be a huge help there.

The plus of having it always ready to go and not screaming "steal me" out the side windows when parked could outweigh a lot of negatives for me.

Hopefully the installation goes off without a hitch! ;)

It should, Mazda made it about the easiest install. They just pop out the little storage tray and plug the unit in and then snap it into the spot where the tray was.

Let us know what you think, especially going from a Garmin to it.

I purchased one from EBay and installed myself--that took about 3 minutes. Literally you just pop out the little tray, plug in 3 connectors and pop t in

Last edited:
So far so good. Still playing around with it, but I like it so far. Took the guy 5 mins to install.

Will update when I get a chance to sit down and play with it more.

I added one and comming from Garmin it took a while to get used to. Biggest pain is the safety lock for US customers as suggested by new regulation. In the how to area I posted a how to update the operating system and your one time map update..

I bought the one off ebay, and it was an exact fit. It's quite easy to install.. even though I cut my hand removing it witha hard yank. The GPS system is kinda slwo and voice command doesn't work as well as you'd like.. oh.. and you can't input addresses while driving. that sucks,

Installed it today in literally about 1 minute, setup took about 5. Updating on the computer was a pain, had to manually push the update to the card, but updating the car was simple. After the update it was much faster responding. I even downloaded the 3 cx5 cars to replace the arrow. The dark gray is close to my black :)

Just had it installed today and it is not as responsive as I thought it would be. When will they ever release a nav system that feels like an ipad. Voice command worked fairly well and finding restaurants by voice is easy enough. Typing an address is disabled while driving but the voice command can be used to do so. I haven't played around with it long enough but it seems to drive you to the nearest POI or restaurant and not give you any other options. If I say find restaurants it just takes me to a random one that is closest to me.

Back