Engine Heater ideas?

Flyersguy172

:
none
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone installed any kind of engine heater on their CX-5, or had any suggestions to help keep the engine/oil warmer in freezing temperatures. I live in central PA and we had a particularly long and cold winter last year, and it was absolutely painful to listen to the engine in my old Mazda 3 try and start on those cold days (to its credit, it started every time...I loved that car).

Anyway, I bought a new CX-5 in November and the temps are just now starting to dip well below freezing at night. I have seen some forums where people just use a work light in the engine bay or next to the oil pan to keep everything warm....seems like a cheap and reasonably effective solution. I have also seen some magnetic block heaters such as this - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0653_-1_-1&pt=N0653&ppt=C0076

I think the magnetic block heater might be a good idea...but would anyone know if our oil pans/engines are aluminum? If so, I'd have to figure out somewhere else to attach it.

Thanks for any info.

Another option is oil pan heaters that glue on. Then you can just unplug and go.

With any heater I would use a grounded plug and run a ground wire to a bolt on the car. You don't want to come out some morning and lean on the car in order to unplug it and get a shock.

The problem with oil pan heaters is all they do is keep your oil warm. But your entire coolant system would still be exposed.

The typical block heaters that replace a freeze plug keep the coolant, and engine warm, which really makes the big difference when you start your car, and dont want to wait the 5 minutes till there's some heat.

The most efficient electric engine heater is the type that heats the coolant. The heated coolant will circulate around the engine via convection.

But with the recommended 0W20 synthetic oil, there is no need for a block heater unless it's below -40F. I would be more likely to want a small space heater inside the car that came on automatically an hour before planned departure to defrost windows and warm the interior.

Minnesota owner here. We get quite a bit colder here than you get there and I have never used a block heater on any of my cars. My CX-5 has never failed to start no matter how cold. We were down to -24F last winter. A bit wimpier this winter as we've only been down to about -14.

Wouldn't a block heater help on gas mileage though? I find it gets very bad gas mileage when it's cold, and I'm not even talking about freezing cold.

Yes, a engine operating a proper temperature will burn much more of the gas in the combustion cycle compared to a cold motor.

Wouldn't a block heater help on gas mileage though? I find it gets very bad gas mileage when it's cold, and I'm not even talking about freezing cold.

Yes, less gas expense but more electricity expense. Since a block heater will not allow the catalytic converter to come to temperature significantly sooner, the main fuel savings would come from less friction due to warmer oil and the combustion chamber warming up slightly faster. These savings would be unlikely to be significantly more than the electrical cost of a block heater because the combustion chamber heats up significantly faster than the coolant.

Yes, less gas expense but more electricity expense. Since a block heater will not allow the catalytic converter to come to temperature significantly sooner, the main fuel savings would come from less friction due to warmer oil and the combustion chamber warming up slightly faster. These savings would be unlikely to be significantly more than the electrical cost of a block heater because the combustion chamber heats up significantly faster than the coolant.

Who gives a flying potato about cost? The cabin heater gets happening a lot faster with a block heater.

Last edited:
^ Thats kinda my reasoning for one. Its the difference of having a warm drive to work, or a cold drive to work. or going out there like 15 minutes before i leave and starting it, while hoping it doesnt magically drive off. Yes i lock the door and keep the key, but a running car is alot easier of a target then a none running one to a thief.

Who gives a flying potato about cost? The cabin heater gets happening a lot faster with a block heater.

Pull your head out. I was responding to someone who was inquiring about fuel economy.

Not everyone has plenty of extra money left over at the end of each month and for you to imply money is not an issue for anyone shows how out of touch and insensitive you are.

As far as the cabin warming up faster with a block heater, yes, it will be three minutes or so ahead of the game. But the more efficient solution I mentioned previously, namely putting a small forced air heater in the cabin w/automatic timer turning on 30 minutes before departure, is a more efficient solution with numerous advantages even when excluding cost;

1) Your windows will be already defrosted and fog free.
2) Your steering wheel will not start out freezing cold as it will with a block heater.
3) Your seating surfaces will be pre-warmed.

If you are worried about the electrical cost of running a block heater all night, consider doing what I do for both my diesel tractor and diesel Samurai (VW diesel motor). Put the block heater on an outdoor rated light timer. I have both of mine timed to go on at 6 a.m. and off at 11 a.m. That way they are ready to go in the morning by 7 a.m. or so. Set the timer on yours as you need it. Cost is about $5-$8 per month for BOTH on the electric bill.

If you are worried about the electrical cost of running a block heater all night, consider doing what I do for both my diesel tractor and diesel Samurai (VW diesel motor). Put the block heater on an outdoor rated light timer. I have both of mine timed to go on at 6 a.m. and off at 11 a.m. That way they are ready to go in the morning by 7 a.m. or so. Set the timer on yours as you need it. Cost is about $5-$8 per month for BOTH on the electric bill.

They make and market timers specifically for block heaters, like this one at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-Di...ly-Settings-3-Conductor-Black-50016/203638982

Back