Door sill protection

What we really need to be talking about is the area behind the door handles. :( I can't believe how bad mine look there.

What we really need to be talking about is the area behind the door handles. :( I can't believe how bad mine look there.
Mine were done when I had the Xpel installed on the front end. If you don’t want to try it yourself I’m sure a shop could do just the door cups for a minimal charge.

Mazda used to sell oem part film for that area.
I have it on mine, part of the "dealer forced addons" heh ..but it does work nice to protect.
I can give you the part numbers if you want to look im ebay or some old stock somewhere.
On Amazon I am sure there are lots of other options as well.
behind door handles and the door edges are areas which are prone to scratches.

Those can also be found on amazon and eBay, but can be harder to install due to trying to fit a 2D object around a 3D form. - like trying to giftwrap a baseball

Mazda used to sell oem part film for that area.
I have it on mine, part of the "dealer forced addons" heh ..but it does work nice to protect.
I can give you the part numbers if you want to look im ebay or some old stock somewhere.
On Amazon I am sure there are lots of other options as well.
behind door handles and the door edges are areas which are prone to scratches.
I have the ppf installed on the door cuffs and door edges on a 21 GTR Turbo AWD (maybe from factory or dealer) but it was not indicated on “window sticker” or anywhere.

Btw the door edge ppf is kind of loose on top what should I do?

heat and reapply/push or change it.
my experience shows these door edge films dont help much. One stronger hit to a wall and the film distorts or tears.
but the ones behind the door handle help.

Mine were done when I had the Xpel installed on the front end. If you don’t want to try it yourself I’m sure a shop could do just the door cups for a minimal charge.
Mine are so bad at this point I'd need to get them painted first.
I've never noticed this on any car before and was going to complain... until I took a closer look at my Volvo. It's there, too. It isn't nearly as noticeable though because the car is white.

Last edited:
I am curious if these are genuine Xpel ppf?
I haven't purchased this yet but there are reviews going back to 2014 and I didn't see any allegations of fake material. Timely topic for me, I was drying my CX-5 last weekend I found what appeared to be tiny rust spots on the driver's door sill where the rubber seal makes contact. I was able to remove them with some Meguiar's scratch remover and lots of elbow grease. I haven't had this happen on any other cars I've owned (I usually keep my cars around for over twenty years) so it's not owner or environmentally caused. I haven't decided whether to give this material a try or just take the car back to my Xpel guy that wrapped the front end.

i noticed similar things on mine. I havent cleaned that area in a while so may be that contributes.
Plus it seems the paint and coat is too thin and fragile as well.

IMG_20210613_173551947.jpg

Here are the factory (the $280 version) on my car illuminated. So a little dark for the rest of the picture.

Too much $$ lol
Worth it, you tightwad. :D

And like mentioned early, Mazda has increased the price of these to.... $499. Mazda CLEARLY want's to be BMW... And I honestly don't think I like that...

Worth it, you tightwad. :D

And like mentioned early, Mazda has increased the price of these to.... $499. Mazda CLEARLY want's to be BMW... And I honestly don't think I like that...
I agree these are expensive even @ the $275 I paid but they still make me smile every time I open my door. After spending $31.5K on my GTR & being a member of this forum, there are numerous accessories I didn't know I had to have. This forum can be both a curse & a blessing.

If you think the old one is expensive ($275), wait until you see the new one for 2022.
MSRP=$599. On Mazdaswag.com, it is on sale for $460.
Or you can get it from Japanparts.com for $342.. (not sure about S&H).

I agree these are expensive even @ the $275 I paid but they still make me smile every time I open my door. After spending $31.5K on my GTR & being a member of this forum, there are numerous accessories I didn't know I had to have. This forum can be both a curse & a blessing.
If you think the old one is expensive ($275), wait until you see the new one for 2022.
MSRP=$599. On Mazdaswag.com, it is on sale for $460.
Or you can get it from Japanparts.com for $342.. (not sure about S&H).
Whats the diff between 22 and 21?
Anyways thinking of just PPFing it and call it a day lol

Back