Display Album Art?

Nyrjoe

:
2017 CX5 GT
2017 GT, no album art with XM. Album art does show for HD Radio. Infotainment firmware is 59.00.504. Is this normal for the 2017 GT with XM?

My understanding (for a 2016.5) is that there is no art with XM or the HD radio, at least there's none with mine. I'll bet that the 2017s are the same in this regard.

FYI, this should be posted in the Audio section.

2016 GT here no Album art with XM but I do have album art with HD Radio and Pandora
Same here, from everything I've seen/read this is normal. Makes no sense though, I would think XM should be able to display album art but sadly it does not.

I would think XM should be able to display album art but sadly it does not.

I was in a friends new Forester a few weeks ago and the XM did display album art. So, XM can do it. It seems XM in a Mazda just doesn't.

Drove a '19 CX-5 and XM displays album art with station graphic above. Nice.

Still not so on my '18 - only a square outline where it should be. And I recently had Apple CarPlay installed by dealer so I assume I have latest software.

This has been a complaint of mine since I bought my 18 GT last June. I mentioned it to the dealer and opened up a case with Mazda Corp.

Sadly the XM radio on these are crippled. Not only does it not show the album art (yet shows the box) it also has a hard limit on how many characters are displayed in the song title, etc. This is such an incredible gaffe as sports scores are often impossible to tell if you reach the 15(?) character limit and it truncates. "Jets 13 Dolphins 1" huh, what's the score- impossible to tell. And don't hold your breath about it being fixed with a firmware upgrade- it won't be.

One of the reasons I upgraded the trim level was for satellite (and at the time Android Auto wasn't available). If I knew this I would have seriously given thought to not purchase given the amount of time I spend in the car and rely on satellite radio. It's a Mazda implementation not an XM limitation. There are many other features of satellite that are also absent (DVR like controls, favorite artists, etc.) and frankly I'm surprised their isn't more of an uproar about this.

HD Radio / other car apps / streaming do not have this limitation as they show album art and titles are not truncated. It's only satellite and that's due to Mazda's implementation not XM.

Last edited:
Same with bluetooth. Disappointing. I mount my phone just to see the album art.

The album art is hit & miss on the XM stations I listen to on my 2019 GT-R.

The station graphic appears in the upper right-hand corner as a small graphic, and then there's the larger spot that either has the album art or it has a larger (duplicate) station graphic.

I was surprised that there is no rhyme or reason to when there is and is not album art. I payed more attention to it today because of this thread, and as I cruised around the rock channels, I bet only one out of every 4-5 songs had album art. I had to search to find one with album art. This is mainstream rock...it's not like it was just missing on old 40s songs or obscure jazz artists. So some of this is on XM's end. But that spot I think Spudly is referring to is never blank on mine...a second station logo seems to be the fallback display.

Curious, anything new on this? I've got the new USB hub on my 16.5 and am running the latest F/W. However, when the dealer leant me a '20 CX-5 GT the XM radio had album art. I've heard of some others having it also. Really odd. Bummed I don't have it either.

There is something odd about how the display shows album art. I was listening to some Rory Gallagher that is loaded onto a USB drive and was recorded from several CD's.
The artwork on the display was some file photo of Gallagher and was not the album cover art from any of the CD sources. How and where did the infotainment system find that photo ? I always thought that some CD's contain a limited amount of metadata like the album cover and depending upon the playback source could display it. But the display was from who knows where in that case.

There is something odd about how the display shows album art. I was listening to some Rory Gallagher that is loaded onto a USB drive and was recorded from several CD's.
The artwork on the display was some file photo of Gallagher and was not the album cover art from any of the CD sources. How and where did the infotainment system find that photo ? I always thought that some CD's contain a limited amount of metadata like the album cover and depending upon the playback source could display it. But the display was from who knows where in that case.
Don't these systems use Gracenote databases?

As a side note, I just read an article on how to update/repair metadata on ripped audio files using native WIN10 technology.

Back