Poll Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

• Yes

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I have both

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • In the market and leaning towards the CX-5

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • In the market and leaning towards a German SUV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had a Gen 1 RDX. Liked the size, handling, speed with turbo and reliability. But that model's newest generation had outgrown my garage so I was seriously shopping smaller German models, despite reservations about price and long-term maintenance costs and reliability. Almost reluctantly was leaning to the X2. Then, bingo, the CX-5 Signature appeared. Generally delighted with it, though surprised by the amount of torque steer with the AWD.

Interesting...I was at a Lexus showroom here in Japan once checking out the lineup on display and I recall the sales associate telling me that Lexus used twice as many layers of paint compared to Toyota (I know same company). I want to say he told me six layers versus three but it was a few years ago and I can't recall exactly.

I'm certainly not a paint expert but I would think higher quality paint jobs involve multiple layers and extremely thorough prep work...I believe you need layers to create depth as well...That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Auto Manufacturers try to strike a balance between paint and weight...Meaning even paint is factored into a vehicle's overall weight and how it will effect fuel millage etc.

There's also cost, with German cars and suvs, their higher prices may allow for a more expensive / elaborate higher quality paint process.

I had a Gen 1 RDX. Liked the size, handling, speed with turbo and reliability. But that model's newest generation had outgrown my garage so I was seriously shopping smaller German models, despite reservations about price and long-term maintenance costs and reliability. Almost reluctantly was leaning to the X2. Then, bingo, the CX-5 Signature appeared. Generally delighted with it, though surprised by the amount of torque steer with the AWD.
I'm surprised you say that. I've always been a RWD owner, and the tq steer doesn't seem to bother me. I can detect it at times, but it's never been surprising, especially with 310# torque at 2K. That said, depends on your roads. San Antonio for example has the slippriest roads I've ever driven, even in the summer. It's super weird. Part throttle I AWD drifted by accident in my CX5 last time I was there. Legit insane. My WS.6 would rolling-burn in 2rd gear just tipping into the throttle. Stock. On new F1GSD3 tires! 275 wide. Craziness. So if your environment is like that, yeah, I can see it.

Interesting...I was at a Lexus showroom here in Japan once checking out the lineup on display and I recall the sales associate telling me that Lexus used twice as many layers of paint compared to Toyota (I know same company). I want to say he told me six layers versus three but it was a few years ago and I can't recall exactly.

I'm certainly not a paint expert but I would think higher quality paint jobs involve multiple layers and extremely thorough prep work...I believe you need layers to create depth as well...That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Auto Manufacturers try to strike a balance between paint and weight...Meaning even paint is factored into a vehicle's overall weight and how it will effect fuel millage etc.

There's also cost, with German cars and suvs, their higher prices may allow for a more expensive / elaborate higher quality paint process.
The paint on my Z06's fenders weighed more than the fenders themselves. It was very hard paint.

Mazda's specialty paint is one of the most complex in the industry until you hit the uber high end like Rolls, etc. The closest competitor is MB's special paints. This is a royal pain if you ever need body work done and I honestly wish they hadn't. It's akin to designing the Miata in such a way that you must remove the engine to change the oil or something. It's just nuts at that price level.

Our daughter and her hubby took possession of a brand new 2018 Lexus NX with "Sport" package 2 years ago and were bubbling about all its neat features. Two weeks later, my wife and I showed up at their place with our brand new 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT with 'Tech' package upgrade and promptly burst their bubble! The adaptive LED headlights and HUD feature on our CX-5 is not even available on their Lexus which they paid over $8000.00 more for than our Mazda! I've driven their NX 2-3 times now and I'll keep my CX-5 for sure. Seats in the Lexus are stiffer and more narrow. The ride is more firm but it doesn't actually handle any better than our CX-5. The 10-speaker Bose sound system in our CX-5 sounds better than what the Lexus has, for $8K more.

If Mazda finds a way to add another 50hp to their 2.5 motor and tosses in upgraded wheels/tires, the German SUV builders are in for a lot of trouble! P.S. I know the Lexus is not German but still as pricey as similar Bimmers, Audi, etc. You buy these cars for the prestige they present, not to show how smart of a shopper you are.

Last edited:
Although not a German SUV, I was looking at a Volvo XC40, I needed a new daily driver after my Lexus was totaled by a distracted driver and noticed a red CX-5 on a car lot and decided to give it a go, glad I did, really liked the XC40 however it hasn't really been out on the market very long, the CX-5 has more of a track record that's been positive so far, It's been along time since I owned a Mazda.

I had a 1987 Mazda B2600 pick-up Mitsubishi built,years ago, fun little truck had to trade it in due to rust.

Almost had another Volvo to compliment my 09 C30.

1588046950349.png

1588047168164.png

I chose the CX-5 (2016) over a Tiguan or Rav-4. The VW had great driving qualities and is reasonably attractive. I am leaving a 2004 Passat diesel, which we loved, but which was expensive to maintain. The build quality of the Passat was every bit as good as our Benz 320. However, the VW did require various sensor replacements etc; the car was not mechanic friendly, was unnecessarily complex and the dealers rapacious.
The Rav-4 was less interesting to drive and had a less attractive cabin.
The CX-5 also has terrific driving qualities, I believe it will be quite reliable and simple to work on. I like Japanese engineering and design, really A1 and the car is manufactured in Japan. My Passat was made in Germany, but the Tiguan is made in Mexico. One is not clear on where the steel comes from - I would not trust steel from China. I learned years ago when I lived in England to only buy cars made by workers who are gung ho about their product. I know Mazda is, can't be sure about Mexican car plants.

I chose the CX-5 (2016) over a Tiguan or Rav-4. The VW had great driving qualities and is reasonably attractive. I am leaving a 2004 Passat diesel, which we loved, but which was expensive to maintain. The build quality of the Passat was every bit as good as our Benz 320. However, the VW did require various sensor replacements etc; the car was not mechanic friendly, was unnecessarily complex and the dealers rapacious.
The Rav-4 was less interesting to drive and had a less attractive cabin.
The CX-5 also has terrific driving qualities, I believe it will be quite reliable and simple to work on. I like Japanese engineering and design, really A1 and the car is manufactured in Japan. My Passat was made in Germany, but the Tiguan is made in Mexico. One is not clear on where the steel comes from - I would not trust steel from China. I learned years ago when I lived in England to only buy cars made by workers who are gung ho about their product. I know Mazda is, can't be sure about Mexican car plants.
I dont know about Mexico, but I know 1st gen out Mexican workers in America, by and large, have an excellent work ethic. Many are trying to support families in Mexico until they can get here, as well as need to maintain positive presence while waiting on permanent citizenship, or they have become citizens and are excited to take advantage of the opportunity America offers. Whatever the reason, they do quality labor. I would imagine a car manufacturer is pretty Gucci and I bet they do quality work in mexico or they can get on with one, too.

I couldn't agree more with your appraisal of 1st gen Mexican workers work ethic. They are diligent, do not stop and are generally terrific and have great family values as well. I have the same feelings about the Cubanos, the Venezuelans, the Chileans, Ecuadoreans and Argentines from personal contact. I haven't met the others. They all suffer from poor and corrupt governments that adversely affect their cultures. But these are ideological questions which is not why we are here.
German autoworkers in the past and probably now go through a lengthy apprenticeship and are very highly qualified. I suspect the same is true of the Japanese auto workers. As I said, I am not sure of Mexico. Either way. I think it is more a management question than worker quality question - training etc. Could be wrong. I am also concerned with the quality of the steel. I read that the quality of Chinese steel is highly suspect and I suspect that the steel used in Mexican manufactures generally comes from China. Japanese steel, on the other hand, has an impeccable reputation.
In any case, the question we are answering is whether we chose Mazda over other products and why. I have given my reasons and I am not trying to persuade anyone else. It was a pragmatic choice for me, not an ideological one. I love the Mexicans as much as anyone and wish them well.

Let’s not forget the “German” X3,4,5,6 and 7 are made in South Carolina, the Mercedes GLE, GLS, an C class are made in Alabama, the “Japanese” Lexus RX, Rav 4 and Civic are made in Canada, and most “American” cars
have US, Canadian and Mexican components. My last true import before my CX-5, was my 1996 Integra from Japan.

I couldn't agree more with your appraisal of 1st gen Mexican workers work ethic. They are diligent, do not stop and are generally terrific and have great family values as well. I have the same feelings about the Cubanos, the Venezuelans, the Chileans, Ecuadoreans and Argentines from personal contact. I haven't met the others. They all suffer from poor and corrupt governments that adversely affect their cultures. But these are ideological questions which is not why we are here.
German autoworkers in the past and probably now go through a lengthy apprenticeship and are very highly qualified. I suspect the same is true of the Japanese auto workers. As I said, I am not sure of Mexico. Either way. I think it is more a management question than worker quality question - training etc. Could be wrong. I am also concerned with the quality of the steel. I read that the quality of Chinese steel is highly suspect and I suspect that the steel used in Mexican manufactures generally comes from China. Japanese steel, on the other hand, has an impeccable reputation.
In any case, the question we are answering is whether we chose Mazda over other products and why. I have given my reasons and I am not trying to persuade anyone else. It was a pragmatic choice for me, not an ideological one. I love the Mexicans as much as anyone and wish them well.
There is a reason all of the guns I use spec US, german or Japanese cert materials. China makes junk. They have horrible metallurgic qa/qc and are down right liars about certs.

Let’s not forget the “German” X3,4,5,6 and 7 are made in South Carolina, the Mercedes GLE, GLS, an C class are made in Alabama, the “Japanese” Lexus RX, Rav 4 and Civic are made in Canada, and most “American” cars
have US, Canadian and Mexican components. My last true import before my CX-5, was my 1996 Integra from Japan.
I have only owned true JDM. 01 Infiniti g20, 2012 370z, and my 2 cx5s. If i buy Japanese, it is Japanese.

Yes. Check the reliability ratings of the Beamers and MBs mentioned. Both brands, done in Germany, were excellent.

Interesting points about vehicles manufactured in their country of origin vs elsewhere and how that may affect quality and reliability.

I'm assuming the majority of Mazda models are still manufactured in Japan, correct?

How about for the German makes? What models sold in North America are manufactured in Germany?

Spot on. When anyone questions the quality of outsourced production it seems to always generate an idealogical debate, but there is no questioning the fact that experience and training are king. It has nothing to do with work ethic. Plus, as you mentioned, the source materials might differ based on the production location.

I've seen threads in car and electronics forums where owners have successfully correlated issues with the build location (for models with split production) and factored that into their buying decisions.

BMW production locations (as of 2019): https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/03/where-is-bmw-made-.html

Audi: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/05/where-is-audi-made-.html

Mazda: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/02/where-is-mazda-from-and-where-are-mazdas-made-.html

Keep in mind that Mazda and Toyota are working on a production facility in Huntsville Alabama that's due to start production "in 2021." They had anticipated a Spring opening, but The Virus has made them push it out until "later in 2021."

3rd party articles say they will be making up to 300,000 vehicles (Mazdas+Toyotas), but I don't know what models of each and whether 300,000 is the starting point or if it is plant capacity.

Keep in mind that Mazda and Toyota are working on a production facility in Huntsville Alabama that's due to start production "in 2021." They had anticipated a Spring opening, but The Virus has made them push it out until "later in 2021."

3rd party articles say they will be making up to 300,000 vehicles (Mazdas+Toyotas), but I don't know what models of each and whether 300,000 is the starting point or if it is plant capacity.
When the i6 SaX engine makes it into a CX5, I'll buy one 1-2 years out, CPO, is the plan.

When the i6 SaX engine makes it into a CX5, I'll buy one 1-2 years out, CPO, is the plan.

I think I'd probably do the same. If it makes it into a CX-9, it'll replace my 2018. But if they put it into the Mazda6, it would replace my trusty old Civic.

Back