Detailing Products

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Hi all. I purchased my 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring a couple of days ago. It's the first BRAND NEW car I've ever owned, and as such I want to keep it looking like new for as long as I can. I came across this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123832411-2013-CX-5-Detailed looking for advice on cleaning products. It seems the products this gentleman used are catered more towards professional detailers. I also would have to order them all online. Does anyone have any recommendations for safe products I can find at my local AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc.? I've always taken my vehicles to a wash/detail place but would like to start doing it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

After quite a bit of research I went with the following:

Interior: Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer.
- I really liked this, it cleans well, smells clean and leaves the new car smell, isn't glossy

Exterior wash: Meguiar's gold class
- excellent product

Exterior wax: Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax
- car is white and looks great. easy to buff off

guess i really like the Meguiar's products :)

Well.. since you only want to shop local, not too much choices then.

Wash: Meguiar's Gold Class or Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax

Exterior Wax: Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Liquid/Paste Wax

Clay: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit

Compound: Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. If you have a DA Polisher, get Meguiar's M105/M205.

For online purchase..
Get Blackfire Total Polish & Seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal, Blackfire Wet Diamond, and some other products.... Also, get some nice microfiber towels for detailing/wax/etc. and a waffle towel for drying.

Well.. since you only want to shop local, not too much choices then.

Wash: Meguiar's Gold Class or Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax

Exterior Wax: Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Liquid/Paste Wax

Clay: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit

Compound: Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. If you have a DA Polisher, get Meguiar's M105/M205.

For online purchase..
Get Blackfire Total Polish & Seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal, Blackfire Wet Diamond, and some other products.... Also, get some nice microfiber towels for detailing/wax/etc. and a waffle towel for drying.

Skip that Gold Class wax. Durability is very poor as it is practically a show wax. Meg UW is by far the best off the counter wax you can buy at any Target, Walmart, parts store, etc.

I like the Turtle wax ICE. It's rated almost as good as Nufinish by Consumer Reports but it doesn't leave that white residue in the black trim like Nufinish does. You can use Turtle wax ICE on the black trim if you wanted too. Don't get the liquid though, like most liquid waxes it doesn't have good durability.

Hello All...

Meguiar's Ultimate products all the way. I can't believe how water just rolls off the paintwork. Amazing.

I use:
- Ultimate Wash n Wax,
- Ultimate Quick Wax,
- Ultimate Quick Detailer,
- Ultimate Liquid Wax,
- Ultimate Protectant (for the plastic trims).

I really can't complain.

I read somewhere the Ultimate Wash n Wax wasn't completely safe for newer paint so I went with the Gold Class shampoo/conditioner for now. Maybe when this runs out over the next year or so I can move to the Ultimate. By then I'll be able to afford more of the products BaronVonAwesome recommended/used on his detail job though :)

gold class shampoo is excellent car wash, if youre actually going to wax the car, stay away from the "Wash n wax" products (IMO)

For corrections, I used to use the tan bottle Meguiars "Mirror Glaze" pro line,
but some of that is being replaced by ultimate polish and ultimate wax. It is really good and cheaper to boot.

if youre shopping locally,
Gold class wash
ultimate polish (if you have a dual action polisher)
ultimate wax

will give you very good results.

you should need any heavier corrections on a new car unless your dealer gave you really bad "dealer installed swirl mark option"

i have a small scratch on the exterior of mine already. Are there any scratch removers that i could get at WalMArt/Target/AutoZone that anyone has had success with??? My CX-5 is the Liquid Silver color so it barely shows to the passerby, but i know it's there...

If the scratch looks like it is through the paint, then there's no use in compounding the scratch as it is too deep. If not, then you can try ScratchX.

I have been using these products exclusively on my cars since about 2002-2003. I used it on my MDX, Touareg, Speed6, CX-7 and now CX-5. Oddly I get the most compliments on the T-reg but I also put the most layers on it.

http://www.zainostore.com/

However, you do have to order online unless you live in NJ.

Their exterior products make you car 'glow' especially at night under artificial lighting. They take some time to apply and the more layers you apply the better it looks and lasts. The UV protection alone in the products is worth its weight in gold. When I traded in my 2008 CX-7 the sales manager actually said my car looked amazing.Those guys are getting paid to say your car looks horrible so I took that as a win for Zaino. Their products also kept the headlights on the CX-7 from turning hazy/yellow.

I use their exterior products and their leather conditioner.

I start with this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2..._Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=8

Then a layer of this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...Code=Z-5&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=10

I then alternate between the two until I grow tired then I finish with this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...Code=Z-CS&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=7

I put all the products on everything- wheels, headlights, black plastic trim, and anything that will see sun. It leaves no residues and once you are setup you don't need to reapply for a long time (depending on where you live of course) I am in a rain free, snow free, sun all the time local). In fact you could just hit the car with a clay bar if needed every 6 months or so and just put another layer of clear seal.

I finally got one of my brothers to start using the clear seal as he normally does nothing and his car ends up looking like crap after a few years of exterior abuse. I figured if he at least does the clear seal twice a year on his new ride it will be a big improvement.

I bet if you do some searching on the web you find reviews and can make an informed decision.

Last edited:
I have been using these products exclusively on my cars since about 2002-2003. I used it on my MDX, Touareg, Speed6, CX-7 and now CX-5. Oddly I get the most compliments on the T-reg but I also put the most layers on it.

http://www.zainostore.com/

However, you do have to order online unless you live in NJ.

Their exterior products make you car 'glow' especially at night under artificial lighting. They take some time to apply and the more layers you apply the better it looks and lasts. The UV protection alone in the products is worth its weight in gold. When I traded in my 2008 CX-7 the sales manager actually said my car looked amazing.Those guys are getting paid to say your car looks horrible so I took that as a win for Zaino. Their products also kept the headlights on the CX-7 from turning hazy/yellow.

I use their exterior products and their leather conditioner.

I start with this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2..._Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=8

Then a layer of this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...Code=Z-5&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=10

I then alternate between the two until I grow tired then I finish with this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...Code=Z-CS&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=7

I put all the products on everything- wheels, headlights, black plastic trim, and anything that will see sun. It leaves no residues and once you are setup you don't need to reapply for a long time (depending on where you live of course) I am in a rain free, snow free, sun all the time local). In fact you could just hit the car with a clay bar if needed every 6 months or so and just put another layer of clear seal.

I finally got one of my brothers to start using the clear seal as he normally does nothing and his car ends up looking like crap after a few years of exterior abuse. I figured if he at least does the clear seal twice a year on his new ride it will be a big improvement.

I bet if you do some searching on the web you find reviews and can make an informed decision.

Zaino is good stuff - pricey but good. While most of this thread has been about OTC products, boutique lines are definitely worth a look as well if you have the budget- Zaino, Auto Finesse, Optimum, Adam's, Sonax, & 1Z - just to name a few - all make great products that are worth the price of admission. Swissvax is also great if you have LOTS of money to burn.

Thanks for the post and to Baron on his post on a different thread.

I fit in with how your brother is. In the past I rarely did anything and if I did it was run it through an automated wash or a very sloppy wash and wax at home with typical cheap wax and soap. This time around I want to do better since I hope to keep the CX-5 for a long time. I will have it paid off soon and then plan to keep it as long as it will run. If I keep it clean it will keep my mental outlook positive rather than start wanting something else.

This coming Monday I am scheduled to get XPEL Ultimate film applied to the front and have been searching the web on how to care for the film and also the rest of the CUV. So for someone as new to this as me and with there being so many products out there it is hard to digest. Having you experienced guys post helps a lot.

Apart from this site and with those detailing their cars with a protection film I saw some positive comments on Wolfgang Sealant 3.0. I think I may give that a shot.

I saw posts about Opti Coat sealant. That seems like some very serious sealant, but I don't think I will go that route. I don't have the skills to get that applied properly.

Now that I have been reading all these detailing discussions here and mostly on the detail forums I am taking more notice to cars like at work. The regional manager at my office has a really nice supercharged Audi A6 that is black and the front end is already riddled with rock chips. His car is nice, but it looks like it is aging fast. I suppose in his income bracket that car is like me owning a Civic.

FWIW, i purchased both 303Aerospace Protectant AND Mother's Back to Black (i think thatwhat it's called) to try on my plastic parts. I applied them to adjacent areas (not atop one another). They were both easy to apply. After about 2 weeks consisting of both hot summer days and rain storms, the matte black areas look better/blacker with the Mother's. The harder plastic trims are perhaps better with the 303 b/c the Mother's looks a little greasy.

Back