CX-90 Trim details, Pricing and Fuel economy press release

According to the US specs, the only way to get ventilated seats is to step up to the Premium Plus trim, which only comes in a light tan or white interior. The ventilated seats in my last Mazda6 and in my current CX-9 are awesome. They work really well and it’s a feature I really want but the light interior with kids and the wife’s denim that’ll throw up on the seats is a pass. At this point, I‘ll probably buy out my current lease and hope that the ventilated seats make it to the premium trim for 2025.

also, in the recent press releases they showed a third row with seating for three and total capacity up to eight. Did I miss something on the US site? I only see a maximum seating for seven with a second row bench and max two seating positions in the third row.

They just named after Porsche and Audi trims mixed together?

That's A LOT of configurations. The GT trim in current gen has pretty much all the useful features. If you are upgrading and want to match the features, get ready to pay up.

I bet that you'll be able to. In the press releases, they mention that the 340 hp is with recommended premium fuel. Sounds like it can be driven with regular fuel at a lower power output, just like the 2.5T engine. I wonder what the HP/TQ rating will be on 87?

I guess that answers that question. Cool!

1675854896602.png

I know. What does that actually mean?

The ECU has a knock sensor. It will try to run the engine with parameters that take advantage of 91 octane gas. When it detects knock, the ECU runs more conservative tuning.

Literally every modern car does this. It's nothing to worry about.

The ECU has a knock sensor. It will try to run the engine with parameters that take advantage of 91 octane gas. When it detects knock, the ECU runs more conservative tuning.

Literally every modern car does this. It's nothing to worry about.

I know that but I am talking about their language. It is written in a vague way, not indicating if it is good or bad to run a lower octane gas...

I know that but I am talking about their language. It is written in a vague way, not indicating if it is good or bad to run a lower octane gas...

Well, it doesn't say it voids your warranty so I'd assume it's acceptable. If it was a bad idea Mazda would tell you flat out not to do it.

On the other hand, the higher output motor costs significantly more, so it makes zero sense to blow thousands of dollars to buy it and then try to save a few dollars per fill up.

Well, it doesn't say it voids your warranty so I'd assume it's acceptable. If it was a bad idea Mazda would tell you flat out not to do it.

On the other hand, the higher output motor costs significantly more, so it makes zero sense to blow thousands of dollars to buy it and then try to save a few dollars per fill up.

It's more than likely just to cover their bases so that owners don't complain when they don't get the stated performance with a lower octane. Sometimes 93 isn't available, so it's nice to have the option to run whatever's available. I guess we'll have to wait and see if there is engine knock at 87, at which point we'll know to only use 87 if you absolutely have to.

Surprised the PHEV recommemds premium fuel. Goes against the fuel economy ethos of the hybrid.
I saw the same thing and didn't quite understand why they would do that. I suppose, like all their other engine designs that are designed for premium fuel, I would expect this engine can handle regular fuel as well, so this approach is giving them higher hp numbers to market.

Surprised the PHEV recommemds premium fuel. Goes against the fuel economy ethos of the hybrid.
The ethos, as it were, is not about saving you money. It is about increasingly stringent CAFE standard.

Just for easier reference:

US Pricing ($USD)

PackageStarting MSRP
CX-90 3.3 Turbo Select$39,595
CX-90 3.3 Turbo Preferred$43,445
CX-90 3.3 Turbo Preferred Plus $45,900
CX-90 3.3 Turbo Premium$48,900
CX-90 3.3 Turbo Premium Plus$52,950
CX-90 PHEV Preferred$47,445
CX-90 PHEV Premium$52,900
CX-90 PHEV Premium Plus$56,950
CX-90 3.3 Turbo S$51,750
CX-90 3.3 Turbo S Premium$56,450
CX-90 3.3 Turbo S Premium Plus$59,950

Canadian Pricing ($CDN)

PackageStarting MSRP
CX-90 GS$45,900
CX-90 GS-L$49,300
CX-90 GS-L Enhanced Package$51,350
CX-90 GT$55,350
CX-90 PHEV GS$54,900
CX-90 PHEV GS-L$59,950
CX-90 PHEV GT$64,350
CX-90 GT-P$59,300
CX-90 Signature$63,300
Don't forget this part:
"MSRP does not include $1,375 for destination and handling ($1,420 in Alaska), taxes, title, or additional fees. Dealers set actual sale prices."

Mazda recommends premium fuel to be used in my '22 CX-5 Turbo.
I have been using 87 octane since day1.
(if you check the fuel price difference in CA, you would understand why)
Have not observed anything ill effect yet.

Mazda recommends premium fuel to be used in my '22 CX-5 Turbo.
I have been using 87 octane since day1.
(if you check the fuel price difference in CA, you would understand why)
Have not observed anything ill effect yet.

Yes, for the first few years I only fueled with 91. Since early 2021, I've only run 87.

It's worth noting this from the 2018 CX-9 Owner's Manual:

This vehicle will perform best with fuel listed in the table.

FuelOctane Rating* (Anti-knock index)
Regular unleaded fuel87 [(R
plus01.png
M)/2 method] or above (91 RON or above)

Fuel with a rating lower than 87 octane (91 RON) will negatively affect the emission control system performance and could also cause engine knocking and serious engine damage.

This is different from what was written in the CX-90 Owner's Manual before it was taken down, which states that engine knocking could occur if fuel with 90 octane or lower could result in engine knocking.

Back