CX-9 vs Competitors

Well we were writing at the same time. :) see my previous post.

Some on this forum have issues with the driver seat comfort, I like mine so make sure to test it before you buy.

The CX-9 is the best handling SUV at this price point. I think no one mentioned it because we just assumed this wasn't a point of discussion. But that is one of its biggest selling point to me.

The Highlander is even newer than the Kia/Hyundai. I have not tried it but in general Toyota really disappoints me in their handling. They have apparently improved but have yet to try the newer models. I would probably only look at the highlander for their hybrid model, if fuel economy and hybrid tech are of interest to you.
Sorry about the quick summary as our posts crossed in cyberspace, but I felt it was important to let the forum members know that I value and take their input seriously. I like your comment about handling and value the driving experience. It seems a few others have now posted that their CX9s are great handling vehicles. Music to my ears or eyes in this case. I used to own two Toyotas, a Corolla and a RAV4 both of which were pretty lousy handling cars. But they are gone now.

You mention fuel economy, I do value good fuel economy but for the amount of driving it doesn't have to be great. So I won't be looking at any hybrids.

My two cents worth on snow tires: If you've never used them, you won't miss them, and you make the assumption that you don't really need them.
Once you've started running snow tires, especially on a 4WD machine, you'll wonder why you didn't do it 30 years ago. You'll never go back to running so called "all season" tires in the winter.
As mentioned elsewhere, it's not about getting going from a standing stop. That's just a small part of the winter driving experience. It's more about handling and stopping on bad roads where snow tires earn their keep. AWD won't help you stop any faster. Snow tires will.
As for cost, it balances out over the long run.
Why would you buy four new all season tires for a brand new vehicle because the factory tires aren't that good in snow? Waste of money.
Buy four good snow tires (on cheap rims), and store the factory tires in the garage for 5 months.
The tire wear will be spread out over two sets of tires instead of one, and you'll find yourself not buying tires for a lot longer than you thought. The cost evens out eventually.
As I've mentioned in the past, I run snow tires on my old Pathfinder, and it can outrun and out handle pretty much anything that's out there. I laugh when I see soccer moms in their CR-V's with all season tires going sideways on a snowy street. At a green light, I can't be beat. Always fun.
You bring up some great arguments for having a set of snow tires. It can be compeling when you break it down financially spreading the wear and tear over two sets of tires. Financially and from a safety perspective snow tires make sense. Any snow tire recommendations for the CX9 would be helpful.

You can't go wrong with snow tires from any of the major tire makers. Bridgestone, Michelin, Nokian, Continental...all very good. The excellent Michelin X-Ice Lattitude Xi-2 is a fine choice.

Just to pile on to the already excellent feedback other members have presented.. I love my CX-9. I generally agree with everyone on the points that were raised.

On the topic of tires, this is definitely something to consider. The Bridgestones and Falkens that came on the CX-9 were complained about a lot, mainly in terms of snow and ice performance. They are quiet, comfortable tires that return good fuel economy in all other seasons. Personally, I lived in Calgary when I got the CX-9, and the OEM Bridgestone Ecopias were just adequate for the weather there. When I moved back to the Prairies, I got snow tires. We get a lot more snow here and it tends to stick around for a lot longer too. I'm sure you'd probably be fine with a good set of all-weather tires in case you don't have the storage space for an extra set of tires.

In terms of ergonomics, I think you'll be happy with the CX-9. There were some reports of the shoulder bolsters on the seat backs being too narrow for some people, so if possible, try to take the CX-9 out for an extended test drive to see if it is an issue for you. Personally, I can sit in the 3rd row just fine for extended amounts of time - I'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam, and I weigh about 210lbs. On newer models (2018+), the 2nd row slides forward a few more inches to make 3rd row ingress/egress much easier.

With regard to tech, I think you'll be happy with Mazda's implementation. The CX-9 is very driver-centric, and focuses more on driving than others IMO. The ADD (HUD) and the high-mounted infotainment display mean that you rarely have to take your eyes completely off of the road. Once you get used to the command knob interface, you can perform a lot of functions just by muscle memory (or use voice activation). I think the only things you might need to take your eyes off the road for are turning on/off the seat heaters, steering wheel heater and HVAC controls, but generally those are things that you can set before you put it in drive. One thing to mention is that the CX-9's steering wheel is only heated at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. I only mention this because some people prefer/expect the wheel to be heated all the way around.

I have not driven the current gen Pilot, Highlander, or Pathfinder, but I have ridden in them. I've also driven a current gen Infiniti QX60 and Nissan Murano. I prefer being a driver and passenger in my CX-9 compared to all of those vehicles. The CX-9 just feels nicer to be in, and more sure-footed (especially in the summer).
Piling on is great ... you and I are approximately the same height so appreciate the discussion about the seats and its encouraging to know that the seats really are comfortable. Of course I still need to sit in the car to see if the seats really are comfortable for my dimensions.

Also, driver centric is good, I wish I was able to articulate that in my initial posting. I like the HUD idea because I hate taking my eyes off the road. I won't even look at the passenger when I'm driving. It seems my test drive is going take the sales person out for quite a while since there is so much to cover. Others have mentioned that the steering wheel is partially heated. If its heated where I normally place my hands its all good... if not I may have to change my hand positions. This is a good time of year to test the heated seats, steering wheel and mirrors ... and AWD. We have plenty of snow and cold.

I think the trick is finding the trim that has all of these options in the car color I want.

You can't go wrong with snow tires from any of the major tire makers. Bridgestone, Michelin, Nokian, Continental...all very good. The excellent Michelin X-Ice Lattitude Xi-2 is a fine choice.
Thank you for these recommendations. I'm partial to Michelins so I will probably go with one of them.

We didn't mention handling and driving dynamics as it's a given.

It's as close to an objective truth as there is for the class, the CX9 is the sportiest driving 7 seater without luxury nameplates. And can outdo some of those.

You can cross good handling off your list, consider it fulfilled. If you want corroboration, see any car magazine's website comparos. But you'll find the same conclusions.

How much money are you looking to spend?

If the third row and space really doesn't matter, why are you limiting yourself to 3 row CUV/SUV options?

What else are you considering? There are literally dozens of options now in the crossover segment, I'd enjoy the process of test driving everything, regardless of your current opinions. You may find something that surprises you. That's how I ended up with the CX-9.

The current CX-9 is a solid choice if max interior room and towing capacity aren't important to you. The radio/nav/electronics package is a little slow but the interior is made out of nice materials and is pretty well put together.

Not sure if you told us, but what is your currently SUV?
I am asking because i am curious what type of AWD/4WD system it has.

Regardless, if you go with the CX-9, as many already mentioned, the AWD system does best in snow if you have good snow tires. It is really not impressive with the OEM "all-season" tires. I highly recommend the second set of wheels+snow tires route.

What if your budget?
Do you insist on a brand new vehicle?
Have you considered a CPO/certified used luxury option? Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Lexus GX460?
The CX-9 Signature is a LOT of car for the money and it comes very well loaded, but it is NOT a true luxury car. Not sure if you care or not.

The fact that you are a DIY person and you are willing and not afraid to maintain your cars is a huge plus. I do the same with all of our car, new or used. You can save a ton of money on having a nice, loaded, luxury SUV, even if a bit used, IF you take care of all the maintenance and small repairs yourself. People get scared from the "high cost of ownership" because they usually run to the [insert luxury brand] dealer for every little thing.... or skip maintenance to "save" money, which ends up costing them a fortune down the road.

Just Something to consider... ;)

I'm chiming in to agree with pretty much everything said already. The CX-9 is a stand out given it's price. As others have said, it's on the smaller side compared to other 3 row SUVs but the pay back is the handling, upscale well built interior, and overall package. We needed extra room over our Mazda 6 sedan and the CX-9 fit the bill. Plenty of space for our family and the occasional guests and ability for large cargo.

I've had mine for almost a month now. I spent the last 4 months pouring over YouTube reviews, reading reviews and test driving. The other vehicles that came close to what I was looking for were the Alfa Romeo Stelvio and the Audi Q3/5. That says something about how the CX-9 stacks up against the "luxury crowd" and what I was looking for in terms of performance. The mainstream Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, and Kias are all great but they don't feel very special. Bonus for the CX-9 is the semi-exclusivity and not seeing yourself come and go in every parking lot. ;)

Side note - I even drove a Ford Explorer ST. 400 HP / 415 LB-FT Torque. Fast in a stright line but the steering felt numb. To me, the body control wasn't the best. And the quality of the interior was so-so and not impressive for the MSPR. And the huge 24" center display was obnoxious - the screen graphics didn't utilize the space very well and the sheer size of it was distracting.

A few other miscellaneous thoughts:

Even though you won't use the third row often, definitely get the 2nd row captains chairs. Without them, the standard rear bench seat makes the 3rd row feel like a closet. Sit back there with the bench seat and with the captain chairs and you'll see. The captain chairs opens up the 3rd row and makes it much more hospitable. Overall, the 3rd row is actually comfortable for most adult though I wouldn't want to be back there for more than an hour or two because of the limited foot room.

Search YouTube for 2021 CX-9 AWD tests. The new for 2021 traction control logic (Off Road Assist) looks to be amazing. I opted for FWD as I live in the South so I can't comment directly on it. One reviewer did a diagonal climb and the CX-9 made it up despite one wheel being way of the ground due to the angle. The system can send power to the wheels that have traction. Not true torque vectoring with overdrive ability but it's impressive stuff. The CX-9 is just so much more refined with better feeling steering, tidy cornering, and no unexpected body motions.

That said, I lived on the Great Lakes for years. Even with AWD, I used snow tires. The difference is truly astonishing. But given the recent logic update of the AWD system and your needs and experience, you should be fine. A steady foot and common sense go a long way in winter driving.

The infotainment works well. Feels much speedier than the previous system that was in my 2018 Mazda 6. It doesn't have many fancy features but it does all the basics well IMO. And the centrally located control knob works great and helps keep your eyes forward on the highmounted screen. If you use Apple CarPlay, it works well here.

Gripes? Seriously, nothing really. The sunroof and Homelink buttons should be lit up - a conspicuous quirk in a well laid out interior. The semi-configurable instrument cluster is very basic. This is where I think interior tech lags the most. There should be more info like tire PSI and other data/settings but the screen is very crisp.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
How much money are you looking to spend?

If the third row and space really doesn't matter, why are you limiting yourself to 3 row CUV/SUV options?

What else are you considering? There are literally dozens of options now in the crossover segment, I'd enjoy the process of test driving everything, regardless of your current opinions. You may find something that surprises you. That's how I ended up with the CX-9.

The current CX-9 is a solid choice if max interior room and towing capacity aren't important to you. The radio/nav/electronics package is a little slow but the interior is made out of nice materials and is pretty well put together.
I'm looking to spend low to mid-40's ... then on top of that is 8% sales tax, plus tip and gratuities they tack on. The 3rd row will get used, but sparingly. I have kids and grand kids where it would be easier to take one vehicle vs two. But the 3rd row will spend a great deal of time folded down. Since I play in a local rock (garage) I use the SUVto haul band gear which doesn't all fit in my current SUV. A mini-van is out of the question.

My original list had the Highlander on top, followed by Kia, Hyundai, Pilot, Passport, Explorer.

My new list is much shorter with CX9 on top, Highlander second. Keep in mind I have not driven either of them yet then subjected to the painful sales negociation process.

Not sure if you told us, but what is your currently SUV?
I am asking because i am curious what type of AWD/4WD system it has.

Regardless, if you go with the CX-9, as many already mentioned, the AWD system does best in snow if you have good snow tires. It is really not impressive with the OEM "all-season" tires. I highly recommend the second set of wheels+snow tires route.

What if your budget?
Do you insist on a brand new vehicle?
Have you considered a CPO/certified used luxury option? Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Lexus GX460?
The CX-9 Signature is a LOT of car for the money and it comes very well loaded, but it is NOT a true luxury car. Not sure if you care or not.

The fact that you are a DIY person and you are willing and not afraid to maintain your cars is a huge plus. I do the same with all of our car, new or used. You can save a ton of money on having a nice, loaded, luxury SUV, even if a bit used, IF you take care of all the maintenance and small repairs yourself. People get scared from the "high cost of ownership" because they usually run to the [insert luxury brand] dealer for every little thing.... or skip maintenance to "save" money, which ends up costing them a fortune down the road.

Just Something to consider... ;)
Danmm7, good to talk to another DIYer. I didn't mention the current fleet but here goes. We have 4 vehicles oldest to newest. 71 Corvette Coupe (auto), 91 Corvette Conv (6sp manual), 13 Chevy Equinox, and 15 Audi A4 (6sp manual) and if you were to guess that I drive the manual transmission cars, you'd be wrong ... my wife hates automatics. Sorry I digress.

I want to replace the Equinox. I used it basially as a pickup truck hauling firewood, moving a houseold, towing etc. It drives and handles well, but I find it too small plus it has none of the modern safety features. And it is starting to rust ... which is like cancer and isn't anything I can solve, and not sure it would be worth it. Our winters and road salt did a number it. It also has 180k hard miles and kept it running with oil changes, brakes, tires and battery (all a couple of times during its lifetime) oh and one new exhaust system last year ... and that's it for maintenance, so this vehicles owes me nothing. I don't know what AWD system it uses, but it is definately not as effective as my wife's Audi. The difference is very noticeable. Having said that, the AWD seems to be adequate for Central New York winters.

I do think I can afford a 2021 CX9, assuming the Mazda dealers can make me an offer I can't refuse.

My budget is low to mid 40s. I used to buy all used but starting treating myself with new cars. With used it may be difficult to get the features and color we want. I agree with you we can save a ton of money. We did briefly think about one luxury SUV, the Audi Q7, but the list price scared me off. Probably couldn't get a big enough discount to make it fit in our budget.

I'm chiming in to agree with pretty much everything said already. The CX-9 is a stand out given it's price. As others have said, it's on the smaller side compared to other 3 row SUVs but the pay back is the handling, upscale well built interior, and overall package. We needed extra room over our Mazda 6 sedan and the CX-9 fit the bill. Plenty of space for our family and the occasional guests and ability for large cargo.

I've had mine for almost a month now. I spent the last 4 months pouring over YouTube reviews, reading reviews and test driving. The other vehicles that came close to what I was looking for were the Alfa Romeo Stelvio and the Audi Q3/5. That says something about how the CX-9 stacks up against the "luxury crowd" and what I was looking for in terms of performance. The mainstream Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, and Kias are all great but they don't feel very special. Bonus for the CX-9 is the semi-exclusivity and not seeing yourself come and go in every parking lot. ;)

Side note - I even drove a Ford Explorer ST. 400 HP / 415 LB-FT Torque. Fast in a stright line but the steering felt numb. To me, the body control wasn't the best. And the quality of the interior was so-so and not impressive for the MSPR. And the huge 24" center display was obnoxious - the screen graphics didn't utilize the space very well and the sheer size of it was distracting.

A few other miscellaneous thoughts:

Even though you won't use the third row often, definitely get the 2nd row captains chairs. Without them, the standard rear bench seat makes the 3rd row feel like a closet. Sit back there with the bench seat and with the captain chairs and you'll see. The captain chairs opens up the 3rd row and makes it much more hospitable. Overall, the 3rd row is actually comfortable for most adult though I wouldn't want to be back there for more than an hour or two because of the limited foot room.

Search YouTube for 2021 CX-9 AWD tests. The new for 2021 traction control logic (Off Road Assist) looks to be amazing. I opted for FWD as I live in the South so I can't comment directly on it. One reviewer did a diagonal climb and the CX-9 made it up despite one wheel being way of the ground due to the angle. The system can send power to the wheels that have traction. Not true torque vectoring with overdrive ability but it's impressive stuff. The CX-9 is just so much more refined with better feeling steering, tidy cornering, and no unexpected body motions.

That said, I lived on the Great Lakes for years. Even with AWD, I used snow tires. The difference is truly astonishing. But given the recent logic update of the AWD system and your needs and experience, you should be fine. A steady foot and common sense go a long way in winter driving.

The infotainment works well. Feels much speedier than the previous system that was in my 2018 Mazda 6. It doesn't have many fancy features but it does all the basics well IMO. And the centrally located control knob works great and helps keep your eyes forward on the highmounted screen. If you use Apple CarPlay, it works well here.

Gripes? Seriously, nothing really. The sunroof and Homelink buttons should be lit up - a conspicuous quirk in a well laid out interior. The semi-configurable instrument cluster is very basic. This is where I think interior tech lags the most. There should be more info like tire PSI and other data/settings but the screen is very crisp.

Good luck and keep up posted!
Trip CX9, thank for a thoughtful reponse. Great to hear from a new CX9 owner. I was concerned about the low sales and it had me wondering how the CX9 owners felt. So your statement "semi-exclusivity and not seeing yourself come and go in every parking lot" resonates with me. I would hope that the lower sales numbers might make it easier to get a better discount.

I was originally leaning toward a rear bench seat to put 2 adults and a baby seat there and a couple of grand kids in the third row, but it makes sense to at least check out both to see the difference. Good thoughts on that one.

I'll check out the Youtube videos on the various AWD tests. If the AWD system is better than what I have now that will be very cool. The tidy cornering, better steering and handling will be a welcome addition. It sounds from the forum members this is a big difference over the competition. You are right about the Ford Explorer' giant screen, what were they thinking, this is one example where less is more. I actually like the CX9's smaller and unobtrusive monitor screen. It seems to me drivers might spend want to spend more time looking at the road and maybe less at a screen... just one man's opinion. Your list of beefs is pretty small, makes me feel pretty good ... so far almost all of the cons have been non-issues for me.

Thank you for your input.

So, having purchased a CX-9 few days ago. I've went through this process. In my case, the smaller size of the CX-9 was NOT a major factor and hence it won out.

My list contained Hyundai Palisades, Kia Telluraide, Toyo Highlander, Honda Pilot, VW Atlast. My list of absolute requirements were Overall comfort, reliability, AWD and 3 rows. I also wanted captain seats, but that was optional in my mind knowing that this is only available at higher expensive trims usually.

First the Palisades and Telluride despite the 10 year warranty was taken off the list because I just don't think they will be reliable in a longer run (i.e after 10 years). I keep my cars longer than 10 years typically, I was fearful of major component issues after 10 years. Atlast also was taken off the list for reliability concerns and cost to maintain.

'21 Highlander was nice enough. I actually bought the CX-9 to replace the leased '18 HL which I a returning in a week. I test drove it and I felt that it really didn't drive that nice (Not Smooth). I can hear the wind noise and the overall noise level I thought was high too. Engine was good, but just mediocre. It also wasn't a good handling SUV either.

Pilot was one of the best of the bunch. It drove smooth and was very quiet. It also had extra bit of room compared to others. The only 2 things I didn't like was that over all design and the seats. Seats weren't comfortable for me. I felt like I was sitting on top of a round pillow. I'm not sure if I even have to explain the design. It's just functional, but pedestrian. It is a great car tho. The Pilot remained on the list up till the end.

I ended up driving the Cx9 last. I really love how it drove. It's bit lounder, but it had pleasant pleasing notes that inspired a sport car. Interior was bit more cozy. Unlike the Pilot, which had a very open cabin, CX9 has a enclosed feel to it, which I found pleasant. I started looking into options vs price between Pilot and CX9 and found that I can get the options I wanted at a cheaper price on a CX9.

So in the end I bought the CX9. What really sold me were:
-Sporty handling.
-Relatively quiet cabin.
-Well designed interior that is surrounds you and is cozy.
-Build quality/reliability (Being #1 reliablity for 2020 helped, I have to admit) Also, if you didn't know this. CX9 is still built in Japan, which I prefer.
-And lastly the quencher was the availability to get captain chairs at Touring (w/ premier package) level.

To me the CX9 is the beautiful Thoroughbred of the SUV. It looks good, is fast and comfortable. I'm really enjoying the car. It's a beautiful highway cruiser too.

Lastly....just want to bring some attention to one thing I don't like about CX9. The infotaiment system is not the easiest to use. You have to operate it with that knob/button cluster in the center console and so far it's proving to be a bit of a challenge. I'm an IT guy, so I'll get used to it and be able to use it's capability 100% soon. But, the system might be overwhelming for a lay man/wife.

Cheers, hope you make a choice you'll be happy with.

ken.

My budget is low to mid 40s. I used to buy all used but starting treating myself with new cars. With used it may be difficult to get the features and color we want. I agree with you we can save a ton of money. We did briefly think about one luxury SUV, the Audi Q7, but the list price scared me off. Probably couldn't get a big enough discount to make it fit in our budget.
This is why I mentioned the CPO/Certified option. You can easily find a well loaded 2017+ Q7 3.0T for your budget. It may be worth a test drive before you pull the trigger on the new CX-9. I have both SUVs on my driveway and they both have some important pros/cons.

Here is what I have learned so far:
1. The people on this forum are awesome, contributing some honest and thought-provoking insights.
2. People love their CX9, haven't heard anyone say they have buyer's remorse. This is actually an important point to me.
3. The CX9 doesn't have as much interior room as some of the competitors. No one has commented that the driver's seat was too small, tight or uncomfortable. And that the 3rd row is good for father-in-laws ... this is actually a good selling point, I'm surprised that Mazda isn't using this in their commercials.
4. The AWD is adequate and pretty good in the snow, so I conclude that it will be just as good for Central New York winters.
5. Snow tires make a big difference, especially stopping.
6. The remote start may be awkward to use in some cases. May have to be dealer or aftermarket installed.
7. The tech may not be as functional or as easy to use as the competition. But this is not important to me. I figure I'll set up the functions once and leave it ... just focus on driving.
8. The torque steering may be unsettling. I'm asuming this occurs under hard acceleration, but this is something I should look for in a test drive.
9. Some recommend that I look at the Kia/Hyundai twins ... I'm just not comfotable with cars that new. I'll wait a few years. So I'm not going to even look at them.
10. Some mentioned that the Honda Pilot was disappointing, so I'm not going to include that in my search either.
11. I'm a little surprised that there wasn't much discussion about the Highlander.
12. Most of you mentioned that the CX-9 is reliable and that the CX9 hasn't changed significantly in the 6 years since this generation was introduced. I like this a lot, it speaks of stability ... availabilty of parts ... all goodness comes from stability.
13. I was surprised that there wasn't much discussion about the CX9's road manners and its handling. No mention of the Mazda's "zoom, zoom." A spirited test drive should be a good way to assess the CX9's handling characteristics. Although I really want to know what you guys think.

Thank you, all. See, I was paying attention. Poppy D
Hey Poppy-

For what it's worth, I'm down in Central New Jersey and just bought my new-to-me 2019 Signature (CPO) back in October. I've been researching a replacement car for close to 3 years, and the reason I bought a CX-9 was mostly because I wasn't able to find anything that met my specific needs better, and I wasn't able to find any significant faults with it after 3 years of scouring the internet, including enthusiast-owner groups. It definitely helps that this basic platform (minus a few of the newer bells 'n whistles) has been around since MY2016 and has proven to be pretty solid. I tend to keep my cars for at least 10+ years, so I need something reliable.

Also for what it's worth, I really like the members in this group, too, and really haven't run across any information in this thread with which I would disagree, and would add the following commentary from my owner's experience to date:

Points 4 & 5. My recent experience testing the AWD system was earlier this week where we **finally** got some white stuff...about 6". As mentioned before, **tires make all the difference**. The dealer I bought my CX-9 from had just shod it with a brand new set of Nankang All-Seasons (and if you haven't heard of this brand, there's a reason for that....they're low-budget, crap tires) which I insisted be replaced. I wanted to try something different than the Nitto's I've been buying the last 10+ years and went with the new Vredestein Quatrac Pro (*Note: These also one of the few tires that have the true "M+S" rating for winter use). At the time, they were Tirerack.com's #1 rated Grand Touring tire. I'm very "into" tires and cannot say enough good things about the Vredesteins...including their acceleration, cornering, stopping in the snow, but I love them in dry/wet conditions, too. I won't belabor all the details, but would be happy to share more info if you'd like.

As for the AWD system itself, my sense is it's a little more advanced than some have described it here...especially starting with MY2019 and up where they did introduce Mazda's version of torque-vectoring which is predominately used to improve handling and reduce understeer, as I understand it. I cannot imagine this system not being more than adequate...even in your neck of the woods. Yes, the latest AWD system found in the Pilot is a little more robust--and with driver-selectable modes, but truth be told...the damn vehicle handles like a truck. Same with the current-gen Highlander, from my research anyway.

Point 6: Funny thing, I never knew mine even had factory remote start until I was carrying in a load of firewood last week, and must've inadvertently pushed on the "lock" button a few times (the key was in my pocket)...only to go back outside for another load, and find my CX-9 idling away. Who knew? Anyway, I'm personally not a huge fan of using remote start because every auto manufacturer I've run across recommends not letting your car idle at startup for a long time because the excess fuel tends to damage the catalytic converter, among other things (however, I do recognize others live in significantly colder conditions than NJ is these days, where using this feature might be worthwhile)

Point 7: It took me a little while to get used to tech for the audio/navigation (everything else couldn't be easier) but I attributed that mostly because I'm new to Android Auto. Once you've got that figured out, it's a pretty slick system, IMO.

Point 8: I've been driving an old Infiniti with a RWD-biased AWD system for the last decade, so I'm extra-sensitive to torque steer from FWD. In my experience, unless you're standing on the gas from a dead stop, the torque steer in these cars is pretty minimal (and even if you do, it's not like the wheel will be torn from of your hands). In 95% of FWD vehicles, it's just the nature of the beast and if you're alright with all the other handling "attributes" of FWD, I think Mazda does a pretty good job of keeping it well-controlled.

Point 13: I wonder if the "Zoom-zoom" factor wasn't mentioned because--among Mazda owners anyway--its just something that's implied - lol. This is my first Mazda, and I can tell you these cars are great fun to drive, and very engaging...not unlike how BMW used to be back in the ol' days. Mazda does a great job of not insulating you from the driving experience, but making you part of it. The acceleration is great...especially for a 4-banger, the steering makes the CX-9 feel/handle like a much smaller, lighter car and the brakes do a great job of adding to that sporty feel. Although I don't think this wasn't mentioned, I will say the gas mileage figures are also pretty close to their ratings in my experience. Use a steady foot and and keep it below 80 on the highway, you'll see 25-26 MPG. Around town with some highway (and with the damn "winter" aka oxygenated fuel), I'm getting 22'ish.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply...but as someone who was literally just in your shoes a few months ago (and after agonizing over the decision for a long time), I'm hoping some of my nonsensical ramblings might be of some help to you.

Best luck in your decision, Poppy D......!

Best,
Tim G. in Central NJ
'19 CX-9 Sig

Last edited:
Danmm7, good to talk to another DIYer. I didn't mention the current fleet but here goes. We have 4 vehicles oldest to newest. 71 Corvette Coupe (auto), 91 Corvette Conv (6sp manual), 13 Chevy Equinox, and 15 Audi A4 (6sp manual) and if you were to guess that I drive the manual transmission cars, you'd be wrong ... my wife hates automatics. Sorry I digress.

I want to replace the Equinox. I used it basially as a pickup truck hauling firewood, moving a houseold, towing etc. It drives and handles well, but I find it too small plus it has none of the modern safety features. And it is starting to rust ... which is like cancer and isn't anything I can solve, and not sure it would be worth it. Our winters and road salt did a number it. It also has 180k hard miles and kept it running with oil changes, brakes, tires and battery (all a couple of times during its lifetime) oh and one new exhaust system last year ... and that's it for maintenance, so this vehicles owes me nothing. I don't know what AWD system it uses, but it is definately not as effective as my wife's Audi. The difference is very noticeable. Having said that, the AWD seems to be adequate for Central New York winters.

I do think I can afford a 2021 CX9, assuming the Mazda dealers can make me an offer I can't refuse.

Re: your budget, I just bought my CPO'd 2019 Signature for $36k w/ 19k miles on it. So, I would think you should be able to get into a MY2020 or maybe even a MY2021 within your budget....depending on what trim you're looking for.

-Tim

AWD: I have Blizzak winter tires on my 2016 CX9. I've been in some deep snow (Fernie, B.C. & Whitefish, Montana, great ski trips), and really slippery snow (White Pass, WA). The car has done exactly what I wanted with no drama. The steering felt completely neutral. I can't imagine what a "better" system would feel like.

Cold start: It is better in a couple of ways to have an electric engine heater installed than to use a remote start. The pre-heated engine will get heat into the cabin in just a few minutes. The car will use less gas and put out much less exhaust contaminants. The exhaust is the most foul when the engine is cold.

A steady foot and common sense go a long way in winter driving.

Shout it from the rooftops! Lol. I'm reminded of this video..

@Poppy D I forgot to mention, since you DIY - access to the oil filter and drain plug is really easy. Just get the car on jacks, pop out a couple of clips and unscrew one screw to remove a plastic underbody shield, and the oil filter is right there with the drain plug right next to it. These cars do have a transmission dipstick as well, and I believe a DIY guide has been written up for transmission fluid change on a 2.5T already (but if not, you should be able to use the transmission fluid change DIY for the 2017+ CX-5 as a reference).

From what I recall, air filters are a breeze :devilish: Engine air filter is accessible without even needing hand tools, same with the cabin air filter in the glove box.

Mazda also has a maintenance mode that should be enabled whenever you have to change the rear brake pads on vehicles equipped with an electronic parking brake.

Parts are also pretty cheap, and the community as a whole is pretty good at finding good deals on maintenance items.

I've also driven a current gen Infiniti QX60 and Nissan Murano. I prefer being a driver and passenger in my CX-9 compared to all of those vehicles. The CX-9 just feels nicer to be in, and more sure-footed (especially in the summer).
Hello from the East! New member here. Interesting to know you had a Murano before and went to a CX-9 which is a little bigger. I went from a 2017.5 Murano SV to a 2020 CX-5 GS which is a little smaller, really two different animals. The CX-9 is too big and too expensive for my current needs but it sure looks nice and has great reviews; I know a few Murano owners went that route or Telluride/Palisade as it's usually easier to go one notch higher. I don't miss the numb steering, CVT, sun reflection on the hood, squeaks and rattles, poor reliability and poor build quality of the Murano; it had lots of goodies and great discount but that wasn't enough, sorry.

Despite looking at some on the dealer lot, I didn't try the CX-9 in case I fell in love with it and therefore avoided endless discussions with my wife as to why I need such a big vehicle; she always felt my Murano was too big! That being said, we're both happy with my new CX-5.

Just bought a ‘21 CX-9 Signature. It’s awesome!

I was sold with the size of the car. It seats 4 adults perfectly, plus some cargo. Perfect for my family. I don’t need a giant SUV, and other crossovers are just too small inside for 2nd row comfort.

When you just need to seat 4 adults, comfortably, no bench seats... the CX-9 takes the cake.

I think the technology inside is premium as well! LOVE the dial/knob interface... best in the class if you ask me. Tired of touchscreens and using them during bumps.

We drove the new ‘21 Santa Fe, Highlander, Venza, RAV4 and probably a few more I don’t remember. The Mazda’s CX-9 really was the best for us.

Latest posts

Back