2007~2015: CX-9 PTU Issues

:
2009 Mazda CX-9 GT
Hi everybody,

My 2009 GT AWD has recently been identifying as a FWD.

The PTU fluid was changed 25,000km ago, and currently have no new noises or vibrations. Just notice the change in handling.

Is it possible that the spline is chewed, and things will remain quiet and peaceful? Or if is left as is, it's a ticking time bomb?

Need to try and plan my near future. 😂

weird you say difference in handling because the awd is not activated until it feels something slip so it shouldn't drive different unless you are in snow or in really bad terrain.

If the splines a all chewed, you can leave it like that, won't change anything. If you want to be sure, take out the PTU and check, if the splines are dead, just don't put it back in.

weird you say difference in handling because the awd is not activated until it feels something slip so it shouldn't drive different unless you are in snow or in really bad terrain.
It actually is more proactive. It sends power to the rear wheels when turning, when going uphill, when your windshield wipers are on, and more that I forgot.

on a gen 1?

I was surprised on the difference. She drives & performs like a FWD car.

If the splines a all chewed, you can leave it like that, won't change anything. If you want to be sure, take out the PTU and check, if the splines are dead, just don't put it back in.
Ok. I will keep an eye on it; hopefully it stays as it is. Maybe pull the rear driveshaft

Life has me in a situation right now, so I don't have ability to do my own repairs. Any work will be hired out.

Back