CX-9 Bumper Squeak

I took a trip to service in order to look into the jiggling beam pattern (some say it’s by design, some say it’s not - I think it’s very distracting). By coincidence, the night before I noticed that when applying some pressure to the front bumper around the driver’s side lamp - it generated a lot squeaking. When applying this same pressure to the passenger side, it didn’t. The little I could get from the passenger side required more pressure. Video attached. I went into service thinking, “hey, that could be the cause of the light beam bouncing around”.

Fast forward a day, the bouncing beam is - according to them, “a problem with the road, not the car”. Additionally, when trying to have them hear the squeaking - all the ambient noise in the garage made it impossible to hear, making me look like an idiot.

Question to you all - does your CX9 also make this sound?

I just went out to my 2018 to check. There is no squeaking on either side. Keep in mind that it's like -15c here right now, so I don't know if the cold might play a factor or not. I also have the original bumper - there is a TSB for bumper cracks in earlier models, and if your bumper had cracked, they would replace it with a newer bumper with a slightly different design to prevent the cracking.

I would try to upload the video to youtube, then send them a link to the video via email. The squeaking is pretty audible in the video. You can request that they try to recreate the squeaking on a CX-9 in the showroom or in their lot.

I have the "jiggle" too. I don't think it is by design, but I do think its a consequence of the adaptive lighting system, which has more moving parts than a typical fixed beam headlight. If you don't have adaptive lighting, or if you notice that it gets worse and worse over time, then something is definitely loose or working itself loose.

Back