CX-70 debut information, pictures, discussion

How well CX-70 will sell depends on the price gap between a CX-90 and a CX-70.
Otherwise, like heywardjr said, just fold down the 3rd row seat.

We watched a real review of it on YouTube the other day. It's a CX-90 with the third row removed. I myself leased a CX-90 PHEV in September, 23 and thought when the lease is up I would prefer to "downsize" to the CX70 but it looks like it's just a CX-90 with chairs removed. I leave my third row down all the time anyway so I might as well go with another CX-90 in 2-1/2 years. I'd rather have the choice of folding the seats down versus not having them when I need them. In any event, I love the car and think it's the best I have ever owned my entire 69 years and I have had lots of different brands. This blows them all away in ride, 68 MPG, quietness, firm stance, rock solid materials inside and luxury (white interior with the faux wood and metal detailing looks awesome.).
That's a great first hand experience of ownership. Thank you for sharing that.

That's going to determine my path forward as well (price delta between 90 and 70)

I doubt that there will be much price difference. I could also see some differences between the trims for the CX-70 and CX-90 so a direct compare will be difficult to make.

It could then come down to what options you need and which trims for each of the CX-70/90 have those options and what that price comparison is.

I'd have liked about 5" shorter, but given its turning circle will likely be the same as on the shorter X5, and I don't have a garage problem, I'll definitely keep looking at the 70 as more information comes out.

Last edited:
Government of Canada has posted fuel economy ratings for both inline-6 models (PHEV not available yet). They are exactly the same as the CX-90 fuel economy, so there is no appreciable weight savings.

Initial production will be for the top trims, similar to what occurred with the CX-90.

"I can say the regular 3.3 turbo will be coming later this year, just not at launch," said Jon Leverett, project manager for launch strategy at Mazda USA, during The AutoGuide Show Episode 5, adding "so there will be all three on offer towards the summer, but right now, just the high-power and the plug-in hybrid."

Bummer. Being forced to premium unleaded, with the highest HP version, was not something I wanted to see. That the base turbo variant will come out "later", given Mazda's already anemic approach to getting the 70 to market, doesn't provide confidence.

I'd really hoped to hear about both base and high output versions getting a boosted tuning, a bump in HP for 2024, while still running on regular and premium respectively. Likewise, release of both the base and high output versions simultaneously would have been good.

By now they should have had plenty of time to wring out the issues discovered in the CX-90 last year, and given this is essentially a 90-less-third-row there's no reason they shouldn't be able to move both 70 I6 variants out at a crisp pace.

They may think they're being clever, but at least for me (a 5X previous non-Mazda premium SUV buyer, $ available, ready to buy, willing to look at Mazda, the kind of potential new buyer they should be hoping to attract to a Mazda premium vehicle) they're actually pushing me away from the brand.

(There are multiple mid-size premium SUVs that have fewer HP than the higher output I6 turbo, and still sell well, although the 90 is at the hefty end of the weight range. Trying to sell to the, I suspect, smaller group of people who only care for higher HP, while leaving more mainstream premium buyers hanging, is dumb. Then again, Mazda did decide to stick with the maximum length for a 2 row...)

Last edited:
Rumors are that the starting price for the CX-70 3.3 Turbo will be ~$40K and $52K for the Turbo S. PHEV will be roughly the same price as CX-90.

Rumors are that the starting price for the CX-70 3.3 Turbo will be ~$40K and $52K for the Turbo S. PHEV will be roughly the same price as CX-90.
I am getting pricing from my Dealer today. Those seem to be around the same as the CX90? I suspect this may end up being a shell game with trims, which is how they will navigate the price delta

Bummer. Being forced to premium unleaded, with the highest HP version, was not something I wanted to see. That the base turbo variant will come out "later", given Mazda's already anemic approach to getting the 70 to market, doesn't provide confidence.

Not sure where you saw that the high output needs to run on premium? If this is the same engine as the CX-90 you should still be able to run it with 87 octane, with the associated drop in high end power.

Last edited:
Not sure where you saw that the high output needs to run on premium? If this is the same ad the CX-90 you should still be able to run it with 87 octane, with the associated drop in high end power.
It was implied based on fuel economy table below from the Canadian government.
@hoodlum posted in the other thread that the Canadian government already has fuel econ specs for the CX70 and they are nearly unchanged from the CX90 (if anything, the annual fuel cost is somehow worse?!!!):

View attachment 325891

Official dimensions are not out yet, but the writing is clearly on the wall that the CX70 and CX90 are practically the same size!

The pricing is up on the Mazda Canada website. Signature is 1k lower than the CX90, it comes with tan napa (wtf) and no artisan red. The planning guys are plain idiots.

It was implied based on fuel economy table below from the Canadian government.

That is a wrong assumption i think. Transport canada changed the cost of the fuel for the 2025 calculation. That is why the cost is higher for the Cx-70.

«

Annual fuel cost​

Estimated annual fuel cost is based on the combined rating, a driving distance of 20,000 km and forecast prices of $1.45/L for regular gasoline, $1.70/L for premium gasoline, $1.70/L for diesel fuel and $0.16/kWh for electricity. Pricing for E85 is not provided.

Note: For model year 2025, the prices are $1.55/L for regular gasoline, $1.85/L for premium gasoline, $1.50/L for diesel fuel and $0.18/kWh for electricity.
For PHEVs, annual fuel cost values reflect a mix of electric mode and gasoline-only operation »

That is a wrong assumption i think. Transport canada changed the cost of the fuel for the 2025 calculation. That is why the cost is higher for the Cx-70.

«

Annual fuel cost​

Estimated annual fuel cost is based on the combined rating, a driving distance of 20,000 km and forecast prices of $1.45/L for regular gasoline, $1.70/L for premium gasoline, $1.70/L for diesel fuel and $0.16/kWh for electricity. Pricing for E85 is not provided.

Note: For model year 2025, the prices are $1.55/L for regular gasoline, $1.85/L for premium gasoline, $1.50/L for diesel fuel and $0.18/kWh for electricity.
For PHEVs, annual fuel cost values reflect a mix of electric mode and gasoline-only operation »
Forget fuel economy. CX70 is confirmed to be the same length as the CX90!

Last edited:
The pricing is up on the Mazda Canada website. Signature is 1k lower than the CX90, it comes with tan napa (wtf) and no artisan red. The planning guys are plain idiots.
haha I checked earlier and didn't see anything.

I agree on the interior colour availability. They are making it very hard for me to get excited about this vehicle.

This Winnipeg Sun article was interesting - they're saying the CX-70 pricing is coming in at $5K Canadian MORE than the equivalent CX-90 trim level. 2025 Mazda CX-70 starts at $49,750 in Canada.

Quote: "The MSRP of the plug-in-hybrid variant of the CX-70 is $58,750 before fees, so it also sits five grand higher than the equivalent PHEV CX-90."

Hopefully an error in the article, a $5K increase compared to the 90 is truly off the wall.

Update: US MSRP for equivalent trims (PRWire and MazdaUSA) now indicate70 MSRP is same as the equivalent 90 Trim.

Last edited:
This Winnipeg Sun article was interesting - they're saying the CX-70 pricing is coming in at $5K Canadian MORE than the equivalent CX-90 trim level. 2025 Mazda CX-70 starts at $49,750 in Canada.

Quote: "The MSRP of the plug-in-hybrid variant of the CX-70 is $58,750 before fees, so it also sits five grand higher than the equivalent PHEV CX-90."

Hopefully an error in the article, a $5K increase compared to the 90 is truly off the wall.
Probably not comparing apples to apples. If true, the CX70 is truly a dead horse not even worth beating!

Back