CX-7 AM radio issues

I know most people these days don't give a rat's a$$ about AM radio, but I like to sometimes listen to it. Problem: In my CX-7 unless a station's transmitter is less than 10 miles away, I always get reception interference from the engine. It's a steady "chik-chik-chik" that runs at about the same audible tempo as an old fashioned analog stopwatch. It's done this ever since I've owned the car -- about 5 yrs ago.

Only does this when engine's running. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

I know on engines with spark plug wires if you use cheap wires it can cause radio interference. But the 2.3 engine in the cx7 has coils on plugs with no wires.
Is it a stock stereo? If not could be several things like the unit itself, a grounding wire, or damaged antenna/wire

Upvote 0
I know on engines with spark plug wires if you use cheap wires it can cause radio interference. But the 2.3 engine in the cx7 has coils on plugs with no wires.
Is it a stock stereo? If not could be several things like the unit itself, a grounding wire, or damaged antenna/wire
It's the original radio that came w the car. Engine is turbocharged. Would that make a difference?

Upvote 0
It shouldnt. I would think there might be an issue with the antenna cable or a ground issue with the stereo. Has it ever been removed possibly to make repairs to the center console area?

Upvote 0
It shouldnt. I would think there might be an issue with the antenna cable or a ground issue with the stereo. Has it ever been removed possibly to make repairs to the center console area?
Not that I know of. My mother was original owner. She's passed, but I'll ask Pop.

Upvote 0
I damaged the plug end of an antenna cable once so thats what i remember but that is the extent of my stereo knowledge im sorry if it didnt help. If nobody else here can help maybe try a good stereo shop? Not one trying to sell you a new head unit but one that is willing to investigate?

Upvote 0
Asked Dad yesterday. Said he used to remove the antenna before going through car washes (I haven't). He advised me to make sure antenna is screwed on tight. Haven't done that yet but will.

Upvote 0
I’m not sure the type of antenna you have but I do know that my sisters 2005 mazda 3 had a broken antenna and mount when she bought it. She got a used one and new antenna and the base broke again after the 1st wash.

It’s possible your antenna or where it screws onto the base could be damaged. It seems sitting in the sun makes them brittle and removing or tightening the antenna ends up breaking them.
If you have the 2 foot antenna I’d recommend switching to like a 10" one. Hers has the same reception but isn’t as floppy and less likely to break. Going too short will negatively effect the reception too.

Hope we could help but 1st try hand tightening the existing one lol.

Upvote 0
Back