CX-60 Low Battery Risk (12v)

Not sure how you get this cover off or if there's enough space behind for a battery. Is this the right place?

IMG_20230407_160315.jpg

There is no battery behind the cover, just junction boxes, cables and a speaker (black section bottom right). Suspect this is a noise suppression speaker (noise cancelling).

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_102640.jpg
    IMG_20230408_102640.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: BWJ
There is no battery behind the cover, just junction boxes, cables and a speaker (black section bottom right). Suspect this is a noise suppression speaker (noise cancelling).
I´ll bet it is in the right side, don´t think they change harness because it is a RHD (thx Hawke ;) )

I´ll bet it is in the right side, don´t think they change harness because it is a RHD (thx Hawke ;) )

Yeah I thought the same also, but according to my source, the harness is different between LHD and RHD, and the sub-battery is on the left side in RHD vehicles.

Apparently it's located under the foot support, under a cover located there.

If you lift up the carpet, you should be able to see the foot support, you need to remove that, but I'm not sure if that's possible without removing the passenger seat first. Proceed at your own risk :)

I just had to control my curiosity and just had a camera probe down behind the fairing on both sides, I can't see any battery anywhere, so what was linked to is probably not correct. :unsure:
So think, if there are any backup battery, Hawke maybe got it right, as located under the foot support, - I don´t know.

Yeah I thought the same also, but according to my source, the harness is different between LHD and RHD, and the sub-battery is on the left side in RHD vehicles.

Apparently it's located under the foot support, under a cover located there.

If you lift up the carpet, you should be able to see the foot support, you need to remove that, but I'm not sure if that's possible without removing the passenger seat first. Proceed at your own risk :)
I had a peek in there but couldn't see beyond the insulation. I don't intend removing anything else. I will check the drivers side kick plate area though just to be certain. If no joy I will take it in for the 'experts' to figure out. This alarm is very annoying.

I just had to control my curiosity and just had a camera probe down behind the fairing on both sides, I can't see any battery anywhere, so what was linked to is probably not correct. :unsure:
So think, if there are any backup battery, Hawke maybe got it right, as located under the foot support, - I don´t know.
Thanks for your help. If you can't see it with a camera I think I'll leave the drivers side cover alone.

Weirdly, the day after I completed searches for the mysterious second 12v battery, the alarm has stopped. I hope, for good.

I've picked up my brand new 3.3 awd diesel 2 days ago, drove about 200 km (about 50km is highway), but battery 12v alarm is still beeping after turning off car. Dealer said that I should drive more until it fills up 12v battery because it was 4 months in transport from japan to europe.

I've picked up my brand new 3.3 awd diesel 2 days ago, drove about 200 km (about 50km is highway), but battery 12v alarm is still beeping after turning off car. Dealer said that I should drive more until it fills up 12v battery because it was 4 months in transport from japan to europe.
This is some weird explanation from your dealer, because I'm sure no car battery can maintain its charge for 4 months (there is some tiny current being drawn even when the car is parked on a ship, after all) and of course Mazda dealers should fully charge the battery as one of the items on the extensive checklist they go through before issuing the car to a customer. At least that's what my Mazda dealer tells me.

It looks like Mazda have finally accepted there is a problem. I've just had a recall to fix a "Safety Recall - Instrument cluster Concern" but the letter also goes onto to say in bold, that the latest software logic must be installed along with an upgrade to prevent the 12v battery from becoming drained. I'm presuming this is the same issue that we have all been talking about, for months.

I’ve never had this issue, but a relevant software update was applied during the recent recall via the DVLA.

Frankly, I have suffered none of the many reported glitches except the CX-60 rear end did once “bounce”, but then I shouldn’t have driven over a ‘sleeping policemen’ at normal pace as they are designed to make speeding drivers feel uncomfortable. Adjusting the factory fitted Bridgestone 100W Alenza Tyre pressures from 36 PSI to 39 PSI seems to be the sweet spot for best comfort. But beware if you suffer a puncture and need a replacement. All the major Tyre suppliers have duff information suggesting 104XL tyres are correct. Those will offer a harsher ride. Stick with 100W.

It looks like Mazda have finally accepted there is a problem. I've just had a recall to fix a "Safety Recall - Instrument cluster Concern" but the letter also goes onto to say in bold, that the latest software logic must be installed along with an upgrade to prevent the 12v battery from becoming drained. I'm presuming this is the same issue that we have all been talking about, for months.

Sadly, it dosent always work, and can make things worse.

Mine now dosent produce the Low 12V notice, but the battery still drains itself, and then causes all amounts of issues when it fails.

2 copy.jpeg

Attachments

• 3 copy 2.jpeg
    3 copy 2.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5424.MOV
    18.4 MB
  • IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 90
There might be a pattern here SouthEast. I have never suffered the 12v issue but my Wireless phone charger is fickle. A Mazda update has ended the annoying “wireless charger not available” messages, but it continues to function intermittently. Frankly, it seems to work in Normal/ICE , but not in EV mode. I wonder if the annoying 12v warnings have been over ridden without actually fixing the glitch. Is there any evidence of this battery ever wholly running out of charge? Or is it like so many things just duff reporting of data?

There might be a pattern here SouthEast. I have never suffered the 12v issue but my Wireless phone charger is fickle. A Mazda update has ended the annoying “wireless charger not available” messages, but it continues to function intermittently. Frankly, it seems to work in Normal/ICE , but not in EV mode. I wonder if the annoying 12v warnings have been over ridden without actually fixing the glitch. Is there any evidence of this battery ever wholly running out of charge? Or is it like so many things just duff reporting of data?

Evidence on battery draining, yes, as shown above.

I've needed to recharge my battery 5 times from flat manually in three months.

However, the Low 12V Warning is a CANBUS error, in that once its activated, even when the battery is sufficiently recharged, the warning still comes on. It normally needed a 12V reset to remove it.

Since the recall, this 'may' have been fixed as the 12V warning came on once, but then removed itself, however, the battery is still being drained and caused the above. I got no Low 12V warnings this time, but the battery was pretty much dead, once engine crank and kaput - and when it dies, it does is dramatically and causes no end of issues that don't go away easily.

In the recall/software update, they also removed the amount of time the wireless charging error message comes up, but the actually process is still failing, its just not reported as obviously and repeatedly to the driver with the dash message.

Theres certainly a bit of 'covering things' up happening imo.

Back