CX-50 Remote start with key fob

The regular car key fob as far as I'm aware cannot be used to remotely start the car. What's not clear is if the newer Mazda remote start fob is compatible with the CX-50 or not. That would be the separate remote that is similar in form factor to our car fob but with buttons only on the back (opposite the MZD logo).

IMG_0223.jpeg

I don't see any evidence online that it is (for example, not shown as an accessory option, etc).

I see some videos showing start the engine from key fab but none of them are not clear whether they installed it outside after the purchase.

Oh, yes, there are some aftermarket remote start systems that use the OEM smart key fob to permit "remote" starting, typically by pressing the lock button X number of times in a row. Here's one example:

I use quotes around remote because the fob must still be within the coverage area for the car and fob communication. Of course that could be sufficient for, say, starting one's car from inside the house on a winter morning when it is parked in the driveway.

Back