CX-5 Rocky Mountain Adventures (off-road) [LONG]

maxwax

CX5 Road Tripper
:
2014 Sky Blue Touring AWD
In August I replaced the factory All Season tires on my year old CX-5 Touring 2.5L AWD. I bought a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT/S All Terrain tires. Within a few days I bought a fifth full size tire from Ebay and mounted a fifth Geolandar ATS on it. I was ready to go have some adventures in the mountains, so for the next five weeks, I went do a different place.

Overall, I'm satisfied and proud of what my CX-5 can do and the ease and comfort that it provided me. But in the end I learned what it can't do, too. (More below)

sm.Magnolia%20Resting%20DSC_2537.JPG

Taking a break on Magnolia Road.

I started out with some exploration on Rollins Pass East. This is a high-altitude former railroad pass from one side of the Rocky mountains to another. Iit's graded very slightly, but it is a rough dirt and gravel road with a lot of small to medium size rocks jutting up from the road. As long as I drove slowly and carefully, the CX-5 could handle this road relatively easily. Many obstacles could be driven over using the CX-5's ground clearance to avoid them. I carefully positioned the tires and rode over rocks in other cases. Never heard anything metal under the car get pinged once.

sm.rollins_short.jpg

Near the first mile of Rollins pass East.

sm.rollins_light.jpg

Starting the gradual ascent on Rollins Pass. Overlooking a valley below.

sm.Rollins%20Pass%20narrows.jpg

Towards the end of the drivable portion of Rollins Pass East, this was carved out a century ago for a rail line.

sm.mudpuddle.jpg

Thirty foot long mud puddle that I wanted to go through but didn't for fear of hidden rocks that could have done serious damage. There is another mud puddle nearby, but dry, and I pulled about fifteen rocks from it to main a cairn and save someone else from damage. You can find pictures of people enjoying this mud puddle on YouTube. It's deep.

sm.snowy%20DSC_2276.JPG

Parked here at 11,600 feet. The last half mile or so is off limits to cars, so you have to hike it.

sm.rock%20hut%20DSC_2320.JPG

View from above Rollins Tunnel. This is the reward at the end of the road.

The next weekend was Magnolia road, a trail road that winds through woods with some light ascent and descent. Again, as long as I drove cautiously and planned out how to get through areas with large rocks and loose rubble, the CX-5 did fine. On this road I encountered a steep descent through the woods and figured I couldn't do it. I got out to survey it on foot and a passerby suggested that I could do it.. so I I tried and to my relief, it was easy for the CX-5.

sm.Magnolia%20Rock%20DSC_2558.JPG

All of these roads look a lot scarier in person. This shows a descent with a pretty big rock on the right. A lot of the depth and curves of the side of the road just don't come out in 2D pictures.

sm.Magnolia%20Descent%20DSC_2615%20rotated.JPG

This actuall drops about 20-25 feet pretty rapidly. The combination of descent and uneven surface made me nervous.

sm.Magnolia%20Woods%20DSC_2619.JPG

Really nice woods at the bottom of that descent made it worth it. Maybe in the spring I will try driving UP that hill.

The next weekend I took the CX-5 to the top of Mt. Evans, at 14,000+ feet. It was nice to drive a scenic route on pavement again and there was nothing about these All Terrain tires that made me uncomfortable. I did notice them on my first few days when they were new, but by this point I was getting used to them.

sm.DSC_1929.JPG

NewBleu sitting in the parking lot at 14,000 feet.

On my final weekend, I took the most demanding road I've been on yet: Mammoth Gulch + Kingston Peak. I was pretty confident in my driving abilities and the nature of the CX-5, so I explored several rocky side roads along this route with ease. Towards the end of this road, I got into some areas that were exteremely challenging. Multiple times i had to stop, get out and survey large rock obstacles in the road, make a plan and then attempt to get around or over them. I got over every challenge during the first 2/3 of the road and kept going.

sm.KP%20Fire%20Pit%20DSC_2715.JPG

One of many really scenic places to stop along these roads. You might notice I didn't wash it after playing on the edges of the mud puddle a week earlier. Why bother?

sm.KP%20Rough%20DSC_2738.JPG

A more adventurous side road on Mammoth Gulch. You can see a pretty sharp incline near the front driver's side tire. I went back and was just barely able to drive up this without scraping the nose.

sm.KP%20Rough%203%20DSC_2749.JPG

Big round rocks I don't mind, but the sharp pointy ones are why I bought a spare tire.

sm.KP%20Rough%204%20DSC_2752%20rotated.JPG

Mammoth Gulch road, part of Kingston Pass. Lots of loose rubble that prevents you from going fast and likes to slide around a bit.

sm.KP%20Treeline%20DSC_2785.JPG

I'm starting a portion of the final 2-3 miles of my trip and I've just been through about a half mile of really rough terrain. I'm starting to doubt whether I should or want to continue since it's really windy, cold and I'm getting tired. If I damage the CX-5, I've gotta do a several mile hike back to a main road.

sm.KP%20Treeline%20Rough%20DSC_2797.JPG

I decided to walk ahead and survey how bad things are. Trust me, this road looks much worse in real life. Here you can see a really large rock on the center right side of the frame. I had to stop in front of these regularly and figure out a combination of driving around it, driving one side over it, etc. Somehow I got lucky and made it through.

sm.KP%20Treeline%20Curve%20DSC_2812.JPG

Final curve before. I stopped taking pictures after this.

On the final 1/4 mile to the peak, the CX-5 finally met its match. The road is a single lane incline made of very rocky terrain with loose rubble and a downhill slope to the left and a dirt embankment to the right. I had overcome so much that I decided to put fear aside an attempt to complete this final push. I made it a couple hundred feet up, crawling up and over large rocks before meeting one rock that jutted up about 6-8 inches above the road and was about 3-4 week wide. I finally decided, on a very cold, very windy Sunday evening at 5PM with the sun going down that attempting to do so and failing could be very bad for me and my CX-5.

So I retreated. I tried to do a 3-to-15 point turn, but the CX-5 was just too long. I even pushed the back end into the embankment, filling the tow hitch with dirt, but I didn't have enough room. I coudln't go forward, I couldn't turn around, so the only option left was to back down. I pretty much accepted that since this was very difficult to do going forward, I would probably damange the car retreating but I had no choice.

Fortunately, the backup camera, while not designed for these kind of conditions, actually helped greatly. I couldn't see rocks well enough to crawl down in reverse as well as I did going forward, but i was able to keep the car on the road and keep my composure.

When I finally got to a large open area at the end of this final stretch, I was greatly relieved, but extremely spooked. If I wasn't lucky, I would have gotten the CX-5 stuck sideways on this road for the night, or damaged a critical part underneath that prevented the car from being drivable. Both would have meant leaving it there and hiking out in darkness. Neither happened and I am very grateful for it. At that point I just wanted to go home and be safe, so I turned back and drove back a lot faster than I should have. The very challenging section I'd just gotten through was hard to go through again, but this time I knew I could make it. Once I got back to dirt roads with small to medium rocks -- the conditions that challenged me four weeks earlier -- I was comfortably driving over them listening to my favorite radio shows.

Sorry, no pictures of this, I was too spooked.

That last weekend of almost getting stuck or damaging the CX-5 scared me away and I haven't been back. I will be back, but I need some time to recognize that while the CX-5 can go many places a Jeep can, it's not a Jeep. More ground clearance and a locking differential would have allowed me to overcome that last obstacle, but I'm glad I didn't try with the CX-5.

We get snow tonight in the mountains, which means I'll take the ATS tires off and put the Nokian Hakkapelleta snow tires back on. More adventures in the spring when its nice and muddy.

For those interested in detailed descriptions and pictures of where I went:

Weekend 1 & 2: Rollins Pass East http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=19
Weekend 3: West Magnolia http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=211
Weekend 4: Mt. Evans, paved road to 14,000 feet.
Weekend 4: Kingston Peak http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=14

Looking back at these pictures, I forgot to mention that I actually made 4-5 passes through the north side of that mud puddle. You can see the trail of my tires on the right side. I would come down the hill with plenty of momentum then steer straight and to the right.

With these All Terrain tires I could feel the change from gravel to really wet mud, but I could still steer and got through it fine. I *really* wanted to go through the main body of water, but as the lighting shows, it was late in the day and I had no idea what was actually in that water.

Awesome post! I haven't tried to take my CX-5 on the trails in CO. I've heard only heavy duty four wheel drives can make Rollins pass, so I'm impressed. When I was younger (16 years ago) I hiked hundreds of miles in the front range, but can't do that anymore.

Have you considered the Ouray to Telluride trail? Its for jeeps only, so not sure CX-5 could do it, but heard its the best trail in CO.

You might get a ham radio HT for safety. Cell phones don't work in the mountains, but a 2m/73cm HT ham radio will always be able to contact someone on a repeater. Its a simple fifty question multiple guess test to get a tech ham radio license. Once came across a climber several miles hike out who had been injured by falling rocks. Almost had to call in help, but he managed to walk out though bloodied. It is dangerous out there, be careful!

Howdy Max,

Thanks so much for the very insightful reply and even more so that great write up on your Trip in the Mountains. I have to say
that had to be such a rush and a testament to how tough and rugged the CX5 is and how well the Geolander AT/S tires did.

That's really a well written trip and technical report, and lots of really good and common sense approaches to the different
challenges. I think you certainly pushed NewBleu a lot more than I would have felt comfortable with but it's great to know
what the "Real World" feats it can tackle.

I don't think I'd take my Ford F-150 RWD up and down those Mountain Trails !!!

Thanks so much again, Kindest Regards,

Craig

Great pics. LOVE the color! Glad you and the CX-5 got out unharmed. You're much more brave than I!

Great write-up and thank you for sharing!
Someone said that having a more off-road capable vehicle gets you to get stuck much farther away :) I think that part of the trick with the more capable Jeep Wrangler is driving in a group and using a winch to pull each other out.

Personally, I took my CX-5 on a few short unpaved roads, mostly were a sedan will do just fine too. The only exception was a 5 mile road in the Sierra which started out semi-paved then quickly deteriorated. However, I think it would have been challenging but passable by a sedan.

Would you keep the All-terrain tires on for regular driving? What is the MPG / noise impact of these?

Great story. Would love to see a video from more challenging parts to see you and the CX-5 'stretch'

Nice pictures.

Great story. I enjoyed seeing what you and the CX-5 can do. I like that kind of driving but for me I find that a vehical needs two traits my CX-5 doesn't have. It must be cheep and I must not need it to go to work the next day.

I once drove my old Saab 96 up some crazy trails and found some off road 4x4s at the top. I asked the owners for directions to the mall. They didn't see the humor.

Black Bear Pass is one of three trails from Ouray to Telluride. Looks to be the hardest from this link.
I'm not sure if anything other than a Jeep should try these trails.
http://www.dirtridersofcolorado.com/Trails/OurayTellurideArea/tabid/137/Default.aspx

You're right in your statement that only "Jeeps should try these trails". It's definitely a terrible idea to take anything other than a true 4x4 on black bear pass.

Having said that, the youtube video I linked to, shows an older generation Manual Transmission Subaru Forester make it over without loosing any components.
That car has less ground clearance than the CX-5, so in theory a cx-5 might just be able to make it over. It's definitely not a good idea to try.. but it might be possible.

From the story, it sounds like the only thing stopping the CX-5 from getting to the top of Kingston pass was the remoteness, the late time of day and the lack of support if something went wrong.

I bet that with a spotter and another vehicle to help out if things went wrong the CX-5 would have conquered the pass!

You're right in your statement that only "Jeeps should try these trails". It's definitely a terrible idea to take anything other than a true 4x4 on black bear pass.

Having said that, the youtube video I linked to, shows an older generation Manual Transmission Subaru Forester make it over without loosing any components.
That car has less ground clearance than the CX-5, so in theory a cx-5 might just be able to make it over. It's definitely not a good idea to try.. but it might be possible.

From the story, it sounds like the only thing stopping the CX-5 from getting to the top of Kingston pass was the remoteness, the late time of day and the lack of support if something went wrong.

I bet that with a spotter and another vehicle to help out if things went wrong the CX-5 would have conquered the pass!

That link states Black Bear Pass has sharp switchbacks that only jeeps can do.
Noticed the Subaru jockeying back and forth on switchbacks. Pretty dicey.

When a teenager, had a friend travel to Colorado in an old buick and tried some of those trails. He came back with a log holding up his transmission as the mount had been broken off, and a rope holding down the hood as it had somehow lost its latch. Went for a ride with him after he got back and the hood came up, flew off into the median, and he just kept on driving and popped open another beer. (it was legal back then) Those were the days.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone out there makes a steel or aluminum splash shield for CX-5? Custom fabrication is always an option.... oil pan punctures off-road always gives me pause.

Thanks for the excellent thread, Maxwax. It is nice seeing a CX-5 doing "SUV stuff" such as your adventure. As compact SUVs evolved into urban crossovers, some of the rugged character seems to have disappeared (except for Subaru's).
Very nice photos, I used to frequent the Denver/Golden area for work back in the 90's. We took a few rental cars to areas we shouldn't have, but nothing as rugged as where you went.

Hi Justin, I shoot with a Nikon D90 and a pair or old lenses. I'm sure some people see me and think I'm nuts, position my *car* just right, then walking, hiking and climing up and around to get a good vantage point. But I like the feedback on here, and it's a fun challenge so I keep doing it.

Latest posts

Back