CX-5 Offroad ! Russia !

:
2014 CX 5 Touring AWD Bose and Tech
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n8oZxh4VOU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you for posting that. I have been wondering how the CX-5 will do off-road. I am trying to decide between a Forester and a CX-5. Hopefully some of our other Colorado members will chime in.

Thank you for posting that. I have been wondering how the CX-5 will do off-road. I am trying to decide between a Forester and a CX-5. Hopefully some of our other Colorado members will chime in.

There is no doubt that a Forester has it advantages over the CX-5 in off roading performance. The Subie does have the superior Sym-AWD, slightly more ground clearance (if I recall correctly), and does not have nearly as much underbody aero claddings as the CX-5. Though the Subie's full time Sym-AWD is less efficient than the front biased electro-clutch Haldex of the CX-5, and you also pay in driving dynamics. Each has its trade offs, and it comes down to preference.

Though given the slight advantage of the off roading capabilities of the Subie, it shouldn't be much of a deciding choice over the CX-5. If the CX-5 can't climb roads you're looking to climb, then the Subie barely has a better chance to do so. Having been to mountains of Vermont and upstate NY during and after snowfall in the winter season for ski season, my CX-5 has not troubled me once. Granted at times I do miss clowning around with my old Infiniti QX. Much higher ground clearance, Michelin Mud+Snow tires, and a hardcore AWD system with auto, 4-Hi, 4-Lo, and of course a center locking differential.

Last edited:
IMHO a Forester is more like the CX-5 then the Cherokee Trailhawk.
Keep in mind that the Cherokee comes in FWD, Active Drive I, Active Drive II then Trailhawk. The Forester and CX-5 fall in the lowest AWD bucket together with the Active Drive I (which is fine for most people).
Subaru's Symmetrical AWD slogan is misleading when you get a CVT equipped vehicle which is mostly FWD, like every other cross-over out there.

Is right ^^
The new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk might be another alternatives.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-cherokee-trailhawk-v-6-4x4-first-drive-review

The ground clearance of the new Cherokee Trailhawk is in the same class as the CX-5 and Forester, though approach angles of the Jeep is much better for offroading. The AWD is definitely more "hardcore". Definitely another option, but it looks like absolute turd (IMO) and reliability/quality is questionable in comparison to Mazda and Subie.

Most of the driving I go will be commuting. Colorado has a number of dirt roads, not only in mountains but many rural areas. When it rains, the clay surface on these roads gets very slippery. I spend a lot of time over on the SubaruForester forum and have been reading about some issues people are having with the 2014. My wife and I believe the Mazda looks better and comparing the threads in each forum, arguably more reliable. Whether the Forester or the CX-5, both will be nice vehicles which would make me not want to go too aggressive in the mountains. Many also say snow tires are better than AWD, so if I get snow tires with the AWD, I should be fine for snow days.

I think in most cases, choice of tires are by far more important than AWD. Reason I bought an AWD is to get out of ruts and ditches made by snow plows and other vehicles during/after heavy snowfall.

Most of the driving I go will be commuting. Colorado has a number of dirt roads, not only in mountains but many rural areas. When it rains, the clay surface on these roads gets very slippery. I spend a lot of time over on the SubaruForester forum and have been reading about some issues people are having with the 2014. My wife and I believe the Mazda looks better and comparing the threads in each forum, arguably more reliable. Whether the Forester or the CX-5, both will be nice vehicles which would make me not want to go too aggressive in the mountains. Many also say snow tires are better than AWD, so if I get snow tires with the AWD, I should be fine for snow days.

It's good to remind everyone that there are a lot of FWD cars that do really well in the snow with proper snow tires on them.

I put Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s on my little Honda Fit and it handled very nicely in the snow. No accidents, but I did specifically avoiding driving up some steep mountain areas with snow or ice conditions where an accident could have been bad.

This will be my first winter with any AWD vehicle and I'm hoping to put snow tires on it and really push it in bad weather. The confidence I'll gain with the *combination* of the two will really make me satisfied with my purchase of an AWD CX-5.

If I were not in Colorado with the combination of mountains AND snow on a regular basis, I would not have bought AWD.

Max, have you taken it off-road on any of the forest service roads?

I haven't done much except safe, cautious driving in town and from Fort Collins to Denver and back on a regular basis. For that it's been comfortable.

In 2-3 weeks I'm going to take it camping for a week and I'll be looking for opportunities to take it on scenic routes. I know one rocky, gravel pass that goes up to 12,000 feet. I drove my Honda on that very slowly, cautiously and no damage. With the CX-5 I expect it to be a comfortable breeze and that'll be test #1 passed.

Later, I might have the confidence to take it on some of the OHV roads in Boulder Ranger District. If you've seen the review on youtube of the CX-5 (and the other off road vehicles they review) you'll know what I'm thinking of.

I think as I slowly break in this vehicle and gain the natural scratches and dents on it my attitude and driving will change, but right now it's still too new for me to be eager to rip off the front nose on a bad approach or something similar.

WHEN I do take it to cool places, I'll be posting pictures and sharing my experiences here. That's when I'll start loving the CX-5.

I think in most cases, choice of tires are by far more important than AWD. Reason I bought an AWD is to get out of ruts and ditches made by snow plows and other vehicles during/after heavy snowfall.

True. Snow tires help you stop better, go/climb better and corner better. AWD makes you go/climb better, but is mostly useless at cornering and hampers stoping (added weight). I also got AWD for the same reason as you, even if I am eager to try it out on a good muddy streach of hilly dirth road!

Max I ride dirt bikes and don't think I'l bring my CX-5 up Lefthand Canyon. There are many other dirt areas I'ld rather bring mine.

Back