2013~2016 CX-5 Changing to LED lights for regular and high beam…Help

Dna83

Looking to replace my daylight/ high beam lights to led. 2016.5 mazda cx5. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

To my knowledge, there is only one street legal LED into a Halogen housing bulb on the market anywhere in the world, the Osram Nightbreaker LED. That's literally it. Only problem is, it only comes in size H4, and your high beams are 9005, so it's not even close.

But don't despair, I have a fantastic cheap and easy upgrade! Instead of using a 9005 bulb, get a Philips Standard 9011. You'll have to trim the mounting tabs just a little bit, but that's easily accomplished in seconds with a pair of wire flush cutters.

The difference in lighting output is nothing less than astonishing. And did I tell you they're cheap? Because they're cheap!

Seriously: go that route.

To my knowledge, there is only one street legal LED into a Halogen housing bulb on the market anywhere in the world, the Osram Nightbreaker LED. That's literally it. Only problem is, it only comes in size H4, and your high beams are 9005, so it's not even close.

But don't despair, I have a fantastic cheap and easy upgrade! Instead of using a 9005 bulb, get a Philips Standard 9011. You'll have to trim the mounting tabs just a little bit, but that's easily accomplished in seconds with a pair of wire flush cutters.

The difference in lighting output is nothing less than astonishing. And did I tell you they're cheap? Because they're cheap!

Seriously: go that route.

I agree with the change to 9011.

I don't have a CX5, but my 2014 Explorer specs the 9005 bulb for low/high beams. It has the shutter to cut off the top of the beam in low mode.
I think I just had to trim half of the top tab off to get the 9011 bulbs to fit. Takes longer to remove the bulb from the package than to trim the tab.

I changed to 9011 bulbs less than a year after I bought it due to the terrible output of the 9005.
The difference in brightness is significant. I don't think the 9011 last as long.
I just installed my 3rd set of 9011 bulbs. That's over the course of 8 years and over 110k miles, so it's not a huge cost per mile/year.

Back