CX-5 broken into

Rarely any work can be done as good as from factory and that's unfortunate! Did you use a Mazda dealer or a body shop? Is the leather seat cover the OEM or aftermarket? Yeah I saw some of the very sharp glass pieces and how the leather got damaged by the sharp glass piece in your picture. I hate to say Mazda uses inferior tempered glass (like windshield?) but none of the broken glass pieces were like that from our BMW 528i and Honda CR-V which got broken-in.

The leather seat cover is OEM, but the work was done at a insurance-approved body shop with good ratings and reviews. I chose them because they offered lifetime warranty on their work while the dealer only offered 90 days.

My biggest worry at this point is how the glass shattered. Safety and crash test ratings are big reasons why I bought this car. Its the family car for us and it worries me that Mazda cut corners here.

The seat gouge has what appears to be scrapes next to it. Are you sure the glass did that? What about those pens lying on the seat? How did they break the glass? The glass pieces don't look unusually sharp to me, for tempered glass. There's no corner cutting going on, its typical window glass of modern day vehicles.

Rarely any work can be done as good as from factory and that's unfortunate! Did you use a Mazda dealer or a body shop? Is the leather seat cover the OEM or aftermarket? Yeah I saw some of the very sharp glass pieces and how the leather got damaged by the sharp glass piece in your picture. I hate to say Mazda uses inferior tempered glass (like windshield?) but none of the broken glass pieces were like that from our BMW 528i and Honda CR-V which got broken-in.

Today's glass, on all vehicles, is thinner than it used to be to save weight.

It's highly unlikely the glass made the gouge in the leather. Either it was there before the break-in or the perp gouged it after finding nothing of value in the glovebox.

When I came to the scene, 80% of the glass was broken but still in one piece and landing somewhat slanted on the seat. The damage on the seat is probably from the weight of this piece and how sharp the edge was. The remaining 20% was shattered all over in sharp pieces. The pens you see are from the glove box. I believe the a-hole punched the glass hard, pushed it in (thereby causing it to land on the seat and damage it) and then scoured through the glove box. This is just my theory.

When I came to the scene, 80% of the glass was broken but still in one piece and landing somewhat slanted on the seat. The damage on the seat is probably from the weight of this piece and how sharp the edge was. The remaining 20% was shattered all over in sharp pieces. The pens you see are from the glove box. I believe the a-hole punched the glass hard, pushed it in (thereby causing it to land on the seat and damage it) and then scoured through the glove box. This is just my theory.
This scenario you described doesn't make sense for a tempered safety glass! Once the tempered glass got broken and left the "original position", it should become many small uniform pieces! We shouldn't see a big piece falling out like you described unless you have tinted film on the window. In fact, that's one of the reason why I have never considered putting tinted film on these windows as it may defeat the purpose of tempered safety glass! Did you take pictures of the situation you've described? If you do, might as well sending in a safety complaint to NHTSA website with these pictures as the evidence.

Did you take pictures of the situation you've described? If you do, might as well sending in a safety complaint to NHTSA website with these pictures as the evidence.

I concur with yrwei52. Tempered glass should have not such sharp edges upon impact.

Arunka007, this is probably the last thing on your mind. When things calm down a bit, you might want to consider sending in the pictures to the safety authority. It does look very odd that a tempered glass shattered the way it look on your photos. Don't know what is going on with Mazda's tempered glass.

This scenario you described doesn't make sense for a tempered safety glass! Once the tempered glass got broken and left the "original position", it should become many small uniform pieces! We shouldn't see a big piece falling out like you described unless you have tinted film on the window. In fact, that's one of the reason why I have never considered putting tinted film on these windows as it may defeat the purpose of tempered safety glass! Did you take pictures of the situation you've described? If you do, might as well sending in a safety complaint to NHTSA website with these pictures as the evidence.

Good point. I had tints on the glasses. That's probably why most of the glass was broken but still in one piece. Didn't think on these lines till now.

Last edited:
When my back side window was broken it broke into a thousand pebble sized pieces. Some had corners, but nothing too sharp. The factory tint on these windows is actually part of the glass and not a film.

Back