CX-5 Aftermarket Crossbars on CX-50

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Among other considerations about potentially switching to a CX-50, I’m assessing if I will still be able to use my existing Yakima crossbars and towers.

It appears from photos that the OEM rail design is the same or very similar to the one on my current CX-5, so I’m pretty comfortable assuming that my existing Yakima Ridgeline towers and clip kit will still fit. Even if it requires a different clip kit, those aren't terribly expensive.

Slightly more unsure about the bar width. Current ones are 60” Yakima Jetstream, and I think (??) that will still be adequate.

While I haven’t found any official specs for width between the factory rails or fit guides on bar manufacturer sites, CX-50 vehicle overall width is listed as 72.9" vs my current CX-5's width at 72.5" (mirrors folded for both).

So, I’m thinking that the 60” bars should still work given that small difference and the fact that the 50 has slightly smaller interior shoulder room than the 5, so the actual roof width may be closer.

Thoughts? Am I overlooking any key factors here?

Last edited:
The crossbars of CX-50 appear to be adjustable.
No so for the CX5 ones.
It also seems that the rails have no holes in them (unlike the CX5's).

1649195583448.png

The crossbars of CX-50 appear to be adjustable.
No so for the CX5 ones.
It also seems that the rails have no holes in them (unlike the CX5's).

View attachment 308852
Thank you, Ceric! That is very helpful.

Since I have aftermarket Yakima bars and towers/mounts, mostly then concerned about the potential lack of holes as the Yakima Ridgeclip #29 kit I have has a pin to fit in one of the OEM CX-5 rail holes. But, I suspect there are other Ridgeclip kits that don't use a pin and just instead use clamp pressure as those clip kits are vehicle-specific to one degree or another.

Last edited:
Follow up on porting Yakima towers/bars from a CX-5 to the CX-50. Took a closer look at the dealer today. CX-50 OEM rails while very similar to the CX-5's do sit lower into the roofline. The sunroof also seems to open higher than on my CX-5. Those two factors potentially mean my existing towers may not work with the CX-50, beyond the lack of a hole for the tower clamp pin. I forgot to check for holes today, unfortunately. And being so new, at this time none of the major roof rack vendors have fitment info for the CX-50 yet.

IMG_8795.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if cross-posting is allowed from other CX-50 forums, but I located a similar discussion elsewhere confirming these same concerns. It seems even the OEM crossbars depending on what's loaded on them will mean the sunroof should not be opened due to clearance issues.

In case anyone else is following this topic: I purchased a CX-50 PPT this past weekend and while at the dealer, confirmed that the roof rails of the 50 are a different profile versus those on the current MY CX-30. I was hoping they would be more similar so that the 30's Yakima crossbar clamp kit would fit the 50's. They both similarly sit lower in the rail tracks than my 2019 CX-5's did. So, I guess I will wait until Yakima releases a kit or indicates an existing one will fit, or if someone else is lucky enough to figure this out.

In case anyone else is following this topic: I purchased a CX-50 PPT this past weekend and while at the dealer, confirmed that the roof rails of the 50 are a different profile versus those on the current MY CX-30. I was hoping they would be more similar so that the 30's Yakima crossbar clamp kit would fit the 50's. They both similarly sit lower in the rail tracks than my 2019 CX-5's did. So, I guess I will wait until Yakima releases a kit or indicates an existing one will fit, or if someone else is lucky enough to figure this out.
I'm considering crossbars for my CX-50 PP, is the difference just aesthetic or a true functional change?

I'm considering crossbars for my CX-50 PP, is the difference just aesthetic or a true functional change?
Assuming you mean aftermarket vs the factory Mazda crossbars for the CX-50:

The Yakima Ridgeline base towers I currently own along with the Jetstream Aero bars on the CX-5 supported 165lbs, which as reported elsewhere seems to match the CX-50 OEM bar's limit. The limitation here is the bars themselves, versus what the actual roof weight can support (CX-50 is much higher than the CX-5, I think ?? at 600 lbs with the factor roof side rails). So, weight limit seems to equal between OEM and aftermarket bars.

Can't be sure yet, but it visually appears that that the Yakima towers + bars may sit higher than the OEM single piece bars, so if true that provides more clearance over the roof for anything that might sit below the bars.

Flexibility--aftermarket towers/bars can often be used on different vehicles as long as you get the correct attachment/base clamp kits, whereas the Mazda OEM bars are usually vehicle-specific.

And lastly, sure, aesthetics might come into play. ;)

Back