Correct battery for 2021 Mazda CX-5 Turbo - 00EP-18-022F?

Thanks to this post I double checked the look of my battery after warranty replacement this week and realized my dealer made the same mistake! Thank you for posting. Luckily they do a video inspection and send the link for approval before doing any work on the car.

Scheduled a visit to re-install the insulation box. My original battery was on its last legs for a while - I drove around with a booster pack since winter and used it twice a month on average. Replaced under warranty after 25 months with 94,700 km on the odometer on my '22 CX-5 Turbo.

P.S. Found this post by part number. My replacement battery has the same # and is made in Mexico. Hopefully it fares better than the OEM Panasonic I had before. Once out of warranty I'm definitely going with AGM. Dashcam, connected services and wireless Android Auto dongle all need the juice.

My old Mazda 3 had a somewhat sealed battery box with a cover and an air duct from the front grill to the box. I wish they used that system on the newer cars.
On my cx5 I open the hood when I park in the shade at home after a drive on a hot day to release all the heat build up that cooks the battery. Might be a little ocd, lol.

My old Mazda 3 had a somewhat sealed battery box with a cover and an air duct from the front grill to the box. I wish they used that system on the newer cars.
On my cx5 I open the hood when I park in the shade at home after a drive on a hot day to release all the heat build up that cooks the battery. Might be a little ocd, lol.
I actually do this to reduce putting a hot car into my garage. Never thought about the battery though.

Battery wont cook more vs driving and idling in hot weather but all the plastics and gaskets, etc not quite sure what happens with their lifespan. Also because the whole engine compartment is closed so tightly from all 4 sides there is nowhere for the heat to escape with closed hood.

I do it too on the Turbo in the 110F we have here.
The turbo itself (its also stuck in the back) not the engine is radiating high heat when engine is turned off in very hot weather. Got another car where the turbo is in the front and no such issues with high temps in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
The engine bay is open on the rear portion of bottom past the splash shield. There would have to be a pathway for hot air to escape through radiator air flow. Highest temps probably are sitting in traffic idling and maybe opening hood is marginal in heat exposure.
If I’m in the car by myself in hot weather traffic I have windows down and AC off.😂

Back