Commonality of wheel bearing requiring replacement on 2008

muchdutch

Hi guys,

Haven't really been on here since 2009 (I think). Just a sign that I'm loving my 3 ('08 GT, 96K) and it's performing well!

In March of this year I hit the ditch - covered by insurance, 4K worth of damage not including both passenger rims bent to crap, tires ruined etc. All damage covered through insurance (first accident ever).

Now I'm noticing a humming in the front end. First month I got the car back (May) I thought it was just me. July/August I thought it may have been due to my rims (waiting on the insurance company to cover OEMs). Now it's getting louder - only increases in volume and frequency with speed, no change with shifting, very clearly disappears when merging to the right but steady when straight or left.

I believe this means my front passenger wheel bearing needs some attention. I'm going in for a diagnosis as early as they could get me in - Monday.

What I'm wondering is if it is common for the wheel bearings to need replacing at this stage? I am hoping to hear that it is not common but pretty clearly a result of my accident and I should pursue through insurance.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

muchdutch

If the car has been wrecked it is very possible for a bearing to fail. After my car was side swiped the insurance company replaced the rear wheel bearing with a 'master pro' knock off part that failed after 3 days so if it was replaced it may have failed already.

Thanks - I'll have a look back at the service records and see if that was replaced.

Anybody else have to change out bearings around this time just from normal wear and tear?

My sis in law experienced this with her previous Saab 9-3 Aero. Got rid of it after three bearing replacements. A shame, that 2.8 litre 6 cylinder turbo was a joy to drive, mated to a six speed manual.

Back