Buying a high mileage (100-140k miles) 2016-17 CX-9?

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for my first Mazda CX-9 with a budget under $20k. Mostly, my preferred trim is Grand Touring of MY2016-17 since they offered every feature that I wanted. I see that most of the listings under $20k around my area are 100k - 140k miles. I know that Mazda is reliable based on my friend’s experience with Mazda 3, CX5.

My questions are:
  • Does high mileage CX-9 require a lot of maintenance or repair?
  • What problem should I look for at those mileage?
  • Should I pay more to get the AWD over FWD? There isn’t much snow in my area but I prefer the best driving experience.

That would be perfect if I can have any further recommendation about those years.
Thanks for your help!

I don't know where your area is but if you go on cars.com, there are plenty of 2016-17 CX9s for sale for under $20k with well under 100k miles. I wouldn't buy any 100K plus mile vehicle unless I had a good repair fund on hand.....especially if you plan on keeping for a while and need to use as a daily driver. In my opinion, no need to pay more for awd if you find one that is exceptional in all other areas.

Last edited:
Our '16 is at 150K. We bought it at 107K 2.5 years ago for ~$19K. The engine had been replaced at 101K. No problems so far. Maintenance & repairs has included new tires, 2 windshields (rocks), oil changes, filters, and a battery replacement.

So far, so good.

I don't know where your area is but if you go on cars.com, there are plenty of 2016-17 CX9s for sale for under $20k with well under 100k miles. I wouldn't buy any 100K plus mile vehicle unless I had a good repair fund on hand.....especially if you plan on keeping for a while and need to use as a daily driver. In my opinion, no need to pay more for awd if you find one that is exceptional in all other areas.
Yes. Agree with gphin.
Dont buy a 100 k mile for $20,000.

Either
1. Buy brand new...even if you need to do a 6 or 7 year loan. Less year loan( 3 or 5 ) is always better but if you need lower monthly payments then do it.
2. Buy a 3 year old used CPO vehicle with an extended warranty.
3. Just buy a $6000 to $10000 junker(the cheaper the better($3000 still possible?) and one thats mass produced (like Ford, Toyota ,Chevy, Honda, Jeep) so that salvage part's are plentiful and you can get junkyard engines and replacement part's cheap... and save all your money for a new car in a few years.

In short, buy a car with warranty or CPO extended warranty otherwise just get yourself a beater and save all your $$$ to get what you want in a few years.

Last edited:
I would advise against it unless you know the "well known" cracked head engine has been replaced.
Outside of this forum, it is barely known.

Even companies that track reliability like Consumer Reports seemingly hasn't been made aware of it yet. They still show strong engine reliability for CX-9.

Our '16 is at 150K. We bought it at 107K 2.5 years ago for ~$19K. The engine had been replaced at 101K. No problems so far. Maintenance & repairs has included new tires, 2 windshields (rocks), oil changes, filters, and a battery replacement.

So far, so good.
About the engine replacement, is it caused by coolant leak? And does Mazda covered it when the car is out-of-warranty?

About the engine replacement, is it caused by coolant leak? And does Mazda covered it when the car is out-of-warranty?
You might want to check out this thread on another forum that speaks to the issue in more detail.
As indicated, Mazda does not automatically cover damage repair. Just one reason to avoid a 100k mileage CX9 that hasn't had this fixed and does not come with a solid warranty.
Question: is your $20k budget cash that you have on hand to make a cash purchase or is $20k based on payments that you can afford?

Last edited:
You might want to check out this thread on another forum that speaks to the issue in more detail.
As indicated, Mazda does not automatically cover damage repair. Just one reason to avoid a 100k mileage CX9 that hasn't had this fixed and does not come with a solid warranty.
Question: is your $20k budget cash that you have on hand to make a cash purchase or is $20k based on payments that you can afford?
Thanks for the link to that post, that helps me alot.

With your question, I currently have $25k cash ready for the car. Mostly I want to spend around $20k to save the extra amount for any necessary maintenance, repair after purchasing it.

Is there any way to check if the car has the coolant leaking issue fixed other than CarFax? Most of the cars I see are from dealers. I checked their CarFax but didn’t see any of them mentioned engine or block replaced.

Carfax will confirm servicing/repairs/accidents but it's not 100% accurate. I know of several cars with accidents that never showed on Carfax reports. And I don't think anyone (outside of Mazda) knows the percentage of CX9s that have needed the water pump/engine block repair. I'm guessing it's small, otherwise there would have been a mandated recall and you would see more of this repair on your checked Carfax reports. Unfortunately, it appears the vast majority of 2016-17 CX9s are being sold through independent auto dealers as opposed to Mazda dealers which means you won't be getting much of a warranty. If you are keeping $5k on hand for repairs, that's a wise move. Bottom line, you are taking your chances with any 6-7 year old high mileage vehicle and you might want to consider increasing your budget if you are set on a CX9 for a CPO from an authorized Mazda dealer and the resulting peace of mind. On the other hand, odds are with you that you will find one that won't need the major water pump/engine block repair. Its a tough call, and keep us posted how you make out.

Thanks for the link to that post, that helps me alot.

With your question, I currently have $25k cash ready for the car. Mostly I want to spend around $20k to save the extra amount for any necessary maintenance, repair after purchasing it.

Is there any way to check if the car has the coolant leaking issue fixed other than CarFax? Most of the cars I see are from dealers. I checked their CarFax but didn’t see any of them mentioned engine or block replaced.
No offense but

You really are going about this the wrong way.

A 5 year loan at the current 5% interest rates on a $30,000 car will only cost you only $4,000 in interest...

less than the $5000 you are prepared to spend on repairs and

way less than a new engine may cost you at $7000 to $9000.

A 2020 CX-9 CPO with 23,000 miles is going for $29,000 with power-train warranty to 2027 and 100,000 miles.

Far better odds than a 2016/2017 with high miles.

Just take out the loan and get the newer less mileage cx-9 with extended warranty.

EDIT: get full loan and invest your money wisely

If the loan bothers you that much, turn around and pay off most of it.
Some banks and credit unions dont penalize for early payoff.

Or just make large down-payment and finance just $5000.

EDIT: Any option is better than getting a very used out-of-warranty $20,000 vehicle.
Your be better of with a $2000 beater car and saving your money.
BUY NEW, CPO or BEATER.

Last edited:
No offense but

You really are going about this the wrong way.

A 5 year loan at the current 5% interest rates on a $30,000 car will only cost you only $4,000 in interest...

less than the $5000 you are prepared to spend on repairs and

way less than a new engine may cost you at $7000 to $9000.

A 2020 CX-9 CPO with 23,000 miles is going for $29,000 with power-train warranty to 2027 and 100,000 miles.

Far better odds than a 2016/2017 with high miles.

Just take out the loan and get the newer less mileage cx-9 with extended warranty.

EDIT: get full loan and invest your money wisely

If the loan bothers you that much, turn around and pay off most of it.
Some banks and credit unions dont penalize for early payoff.

Or just make large down-payment and finance just $5000.

EDIT: Any option is better than getting a very used out-of-warranty $20,000 vehicle.
Your be better of with a $2000 beater car and saving your money.
BUY NEW, CPO or BEATER.
Maybe I will go CPO because I usually need to take 7 people on a trip.

I found some 19-20 CX9 Touring CPO with 40-50k miles are around $23-25k so I think I will go that way, rather than older GT trim.

Do you think if they already fixed the problem on the 2019? Or that's only until after 2020 model?

According to the attached TSB, it affects vehicles with a mfg date prior to 6/9/2020. Good decision to go with a CPO that will have you covered just in case.

Last edited:
Maybe I will go CPO because I usually need to take 7 people on a trip.

I found some 19-20 CX9 Touring CPO with 40-50k miles are around $23-25k so I think I will go that way, rather than older GT trim.

Do you think if they already fixed the problem on the 2019? Or that's only until after 2020 model?
Go with 2020 or maybe even a 2021. 2019 CPO will only give you 3 years PT warranty left.

Back