Build or Sell? What to do with the P5

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So as the title says, ive hit that point with my P5 that i really only see those two options (build or sell) as the way to go with it.

I know these cars are by no means speed demons, however I do want something with a bit more oomph. Cars like a WRX, Speed3, RX8 come to mind.

Now I have thought of a turbo setup, but I know that will only bring me to about 200hp with no forged internals and safe boost, but from there on its a steep slope money wise to build a motor.

In reality if I could, id make the P5 a built track car but alas that cannot be done.

So should I move on from the old girl or keep and just save for a decent build in the future? Curious of your thoughts as I feel I am not the only one among us who has debated this with these cars before.

Anything to make a car "fast" requires money.
If you want easiest mph rebuild and turbo. N/A takes a lot of money but the engine lasts twice as long.
You could swap out the engine for a v6 or something more, but again money and time come into play. Search, there's plenty of articles about swapping in a bigger engine, also boosting for quite a substantial amount of hp. It's all up to you, how much time and money you want to spend. Wrx and sti's are good quick cars but are a pita to work on. Hence why I chose my P5 over a subaru.

I'd get a speed6/3 or evo before I'd get a subaru. Dont get me wrong, I love subarus, and I think they're great, but I'd much rather have an inline 4 than a boxer. As for value performance, I dont think an older M3 can be beat. But anyone can buy a car, I say build if possible. Boosted KL!

Im aware of the KL swap crew and also have seen quite a bit of the boosted FS guys get solid numbers off this car (or the MSP).

In all honesty as cool as a KL swap would be, i feel it would almost be almost the same amount to swap versus build a FS?

Mmm I dont know. The kl (built right) could easily beat a built fs. V4 vs v6 should already be a give away, 4 cylinder is a hybrid racing i.e better gas mileage, you want more power its going to cost you.

I literally just got rid of the P5 tonight. It was hard to let it go after a fun 9 years with it. I ended up buying an 11 GTI last summer, and the difference is night and day. It handles as good (if not better after the suspension upgrades), but when you step on the go pedal, forget about it. It puts a smile on my face like the P5 never could. My .02

The P5 does have that classic styling I cannot quite detach from. If only it came with a better motor to begin with or had the potential like the FP Miata guys.

Seems like we were the FWD Miata without the tunability lol..

You can make a lot more than 200hp with a turbo setup, a built FS will make more than a KL and be far less complicated to install and get running properly. That being said, if you can afford an MS3 or MS6 I see no reason not to upgrade.

Speed 3. If you have never driven one, go take a test drive. My mom had one, fun car. Sadly she used it as a trade in for a Camaro.

Back