Bright white replacement fog lights?

CX-920s

I just bought a cx-9 GT and love it. One thing that bothers me so far is the white HID headlights and the duller glow of traditional fog lights. Does anyone know where to buy or order bright white replacement bulbs for the fogs?

I put the Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA bulbs in my fog lights. It was bulb size #9006SU.

They really don't compare to HID but they are much brighter than the OEM bulbs.

Another plus is that they are drop in replacements and much less expensive.
This guy on another board has done some mods to his lights and documented the job well will pics. He spent $170 on the HID conversion. I bought the Silverstar Ultra bulbs at Pep Boys for about $50 with a $15 rebate.

http://www.mazdaforum.com/m_49264/tm.htm

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/default.htm

Thanks for the quick response guys. I did find the sylvain 9006su replacement size searching the net. Im not too concerned about the brightness of the fogs just the yellow oem glow mixed with the hid headlights. Does the sylvania su bulbs appear to match the whiter color of the hids?

Or you can try for that Lexus look by installing the PIAA Ion Yellow blubs.
Attached is a Kelvin scale for bulb colors.

Attachments

• kelvin-scale.gif
    kelvin-scale.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 420
Switching Bulbs in Fog and HiBeam

Ok, so I picked up some 9006SU's and some 9005SU's to swap out the hi beams and fogs..

When I'm looking at the back of the socket, there is a metal 'ring' around the lamp base with two screws in it, and an arrow pointing clockwise to a small triangle. I can't figure out how to remove the bulb, and I'm guessing that I don't need to remove the screws ... or do I ?

Yes, I'm having trouble changing a light bulb...maybe I need a few more guys working on it..

also, how the heck does one reach the passenger side fog lamp ?

Look at page 8-38 in your manual

4. Disconnect the electrical connector
from the bulb by pressing the tab on
the connector with your finger and
pulling the connector downward.
5. Turn the socket and bulb assembly to
remove it. Carefully remove the bulb
from its socket in the reflector by
gently pulling it straight backward out
of the socket.
6. Install the new bulb in the reverse order
of removal.

Ok, so I picked up some 9006SU's and some 9005SU's to swap out the hi beams and fogs..

When I'm looking at the back of the socket, there is a metal 'ring' around the lamp base with two screws in it, and an arrow pointing clockwise to a small triangle. I can't figure out how to remove the bulb, and I'm guessing that I don't need to remove the screws ... or do I ?

Yes, I'm having trouble changing a light bulb...maybe I need a few more guys working on it..

also, how the heck does one reach the passenger side fog lamp ?

If possible, can you take some pics, before and after?

Doesn't anyone dig yellow fogs? I am thinking of getting PIAA Yellow Ion Crystal

+1
Absolutely! When my fog bulbs need replacement, I'd prefer the PIAA Yellow Ion Crystal... get that Lexus look!

Swapped out both the Hi Beam and the Fogs, used Silverstar 9005SU and 9006SU - found that slightly loosening one of the screws on the drivers side helped. Accessing the fogs from underneath was easy (thanks rslam) - major color improvement, easy fix.

RIGHT ON!

At least someone looks in/reads the manual for answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I speak for MOST of the members on this forum ((group), are you always always a such a sarcastic, rude, miserable old bastard that thinks he is smarter then everyone else ? I was just wondering ? (cabpatch)

If you want higher power replacement bulbs, check outhttp://www.visionxonroad.com/product/Halogen/superwhite_bulbs/ I'm ordering the VX-H9005 and VX-H9006 bulbs (from http://www.tellico4x4.com). They're just under the fuse ratings, so I should be OK. I'll post more when they arrive.

I promised to report back, so here's my report...

Attached is a photo with one new foglamp installed. The driver's side (on the right in the picture) is the new bulb. The color is not a perfect match for the HID headlights, but it is a LOT less yellow than the original. The difference is not as obvious in the picture as when you are actually looking at it.

The color difference in the hight lights is even more subtle. However, the additional output from the higher wattage bulbs is definitely noticeable.

And now a little sales pitch - I thought I was ordering two of each bulb, and what I actually got was two SETS of each bulb. So now I have an extra set of high power high beams and high power fog lamps. If anyone is interested, PM me. $45 total, including s/h.

Attachments

• Foglamps.jpg
    Foglamps.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 492
I am looking into replacing me halogen H11 low beam with something better than stock bulb.

I am looking for the extreme white bluish light.

What brand can you recommend and have good experience with? I have been doing some researching but it seems to be hard to find reviews or tests.

Thanks.

Back