Brand new 2022 CX-9, what is this in the headliner?

Recently purchased a 2022 CX-9 CE (1500~ miles currently). Noticed this bumpy line in the headliner after sitting in the second row -- anyone have any idea on what this could be? Planning on taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

IMG-2825.jpg

definitely looks like a water leak to me. i had that problem on my '16 VW golf with its leaky pano moonroof. they ended up replacing the moonroof assembly once there was a TSB on it. they didn't clean up the actual water damaged headliner, but i ended up cleaning it up with upholstery cleaner (that spray can with a brush used on cloth seats etc.). your leak might be coming from somewhere other than the moonroof though.

Need a clearer higher res pic OP to see if there are any stains or if it is a crease or other anomaly. Can you tell us any more specifics?

Update:

Took it to the dealer. No water leaks or damage per their eyes. They looked under the headliner as well and could not see anything. He also stated that if it was water damage you would see stains, even on the black liner.

They've gone ahead and ordered a replacement headliner & foam insert (the whole top basically). They'll be replacing it.

Such a weird issue, but glad Mazda is taking care of it.

Back