Brake pedal stuck after start up attempts (2016 CX-5)

After having a problem “fixed” with my 2016 cx5 I thought I would start it a few times to see if the issue was fixed. After a few goes and the engine not coming on the brake pedal is now stuck or really stiff. So now I can’t depress the brake enough to get the green light on the start button. When googling I only found a few things about the engine vacuum and that this happens after attempting to start engine a few times. Has this happened to anyone? Is there anything I can do besides tow it to a shop. Thanks!

The way the brake booster works is via vacuum. Pressing it down a few times without starting the vehicle generally results in a stiff pedal as the vacuum "reserve" is exhausted. Though, I've never had one go so stiff that I couldn't still push it down enough to get the car to start.

In any case, letting the car sit for a bit should resolve it.

Yea I’ve pushed as hard as I’m comfortable doing so I’m letting it sit like you’ve suggested. Thanks for the response. 👍

To confirm, it is perfectly normal for vehicles made in the past thirty years to “run out of vacuum” if you depress the brake too much with the engine off. The brake pedal not allowing the engine interlock to function properly is odd, it should require firm pressure on the pedal but no need to strain. Could there be something stuck behind the pedal? Hard to imagine what, but something may be preventing the pedal from disengaging the interlock.

To confirm, it is perfectly normal for vehicles made in the past thirty years to “run out of vacuum” if you depress the brake too much with the engine off. The brake pedal not allowing the engine interlock to function properly is odd, it should require firm pressure on the pedal but no need to strain. Could there be something stuck behind the pedal? Hard to imagine what, but something may be preventing the pedal from disengaging the interlock.
Nothing behind the pedal. I’m gonna try putting a new battery in the fob. Otherwise this could be an issue related to why the car isn’t starting. There’s a problem with the push start circuit or something. But I wonder if there is some relay issue with the brake pedal. Who knows. Thanks a lot.

It started! Pressed the brake, still very very stiff but the green key light came up on the dash and the light on the start button went green so I pushed er! Strange.

I’m having a similar issue with my 2015 cx-5. Brake pedal can become so stiff your can’t push it down to start the car. Maybe related, maybe not, I get an intermittent traction control light and a flashing air pressure light (air pressure in all 4 is normal). Any thoughts on the issue? Thanks!

I know this is kind of an old thread, but any info is helpful. I am having the same problem with my 2018 CX-5 touring. In the morning the brake pedal is extremely stiff, and I practically have to stand on it to push it down enough to where I can get it to start. I am attempting to bring it to my local dealer, but they can't see it until Oct 4. Today is Sep 13.
I guess I want to make sure that once it is started that the brakes are ok.
Thanks!

What was the eventual solution? Did it get resolved, or did you have to live with it?
I had a similar problem in my 19 although not quite that bad. After sitting all night the brake pedal had to be pushed pretty hard before the start button turned green. It only happened after sitting for an extended period. Seems like pressure was building up in the brake system. The problem eventually went away. First couple times it happened I thought the battery went dead.

I had a similar problem in my 19 although not quite that bad. After sitting all night the brake pedal had to be pushed pretty hard before the start button turned green. It only happened after sitting for an extended period. Seems like pressure was building up in the brake system. The problem eventually went away. First couple times it happened I thought the battery went dead.
Thanks, I feel like my problem is very much like yours. It happened 3or4 times, the longer it sat the worse it was. But this morning, after sitting all night the brake pedal was easy to push. Weird.
We'll see how this goes.

Ok, this may sound weird, but I had a similar problem, and the no start ended up being the brake/start switch. If I pumped the brake just a few times(because it wouldn’t start) it would be hard as a rock, it wouldn’t move at all. New switch, started right up and no hard brake pedal!

I’m having a similar issue with my 2015 cx-5. Brake pedal can become so stiff your can’t push it down to start the car. Maybe related, maybe not, I get an intermittent traction control light and a flashing air pressure light (air pressure in all 4 is normal). Any thoughts on the issue? Thanks!
I'm having the same exact problem. How you solved this issue? Thanks man

My '14 Mazda 3 acts like this.
The brake pedal is hard to press down (unlike my three other newer Mazdas) on the first attempt to start the car after a few days.

However, I have no issue starting the engine.
I never thought this is an issue.
I only drive it once a week or so.

I need to keep on eye on this.

Our 2018 CX5 did this too. If it sat unused for more than 3 days the brake pedal would be really hard to depress when starting.

I'm guessing a brake booster vacuum leak. Try revving the engine a bit before trying the brakes.

I'm guessing a brake booster vacuum leak. Try revving the engine a bit before trying the brakes.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the second part.

They are saying that the brake pedal is hard to depress when starting. How are they going to rev the motor before it's started?

They are saying that the brake pedal is hard to depress when starting. How are they going to rev the motor before it's started?
Well, you have me there :) (In my defense, I was thinking of my other car, a manual, where you depress the clutch to start :/ )

Back