Off Topic BMW X3 M40i

:
'22 X3 M40i
I’ve decided to replace my ‘20 CX-5 Signature with a ‘22 BMW X3 M40i. I’m still of the opinion the CX-5 is the best value in its class, but I want something more enjoyable to drive.

The CX-5 excels at general transportation and normal driving up to 5/10’s. It’s when I push it beyond that it loses its composure and becomes unsettled. Here are my top reasons for buying a different car:
-Transmission is slow to respond and not intuitive. Shifts are soft and slow.
-Suspension is easily unsettled on imperfect roads, and there’s A LOT of those in Northern Illinois.
-Power delivery is too inconsistent for my tastes. Aside from the massive power loss below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, the normal delivery is unpredictable. Part of that is gear hunting, but also inconsistent responses to my input at the accelerator. There’s also too much FWD bias.
-Infotainment is painfully slow to load and connect my phone via Bluetooth. It delays my departures, or worse, causes me distraction on the road.

Again, under $40k I’d buy a CX-5 every time. In fact, it’s the first car I recommend to anyone looking for a crossover. My ‘14 gave me 7 years of trouble free driving, and my ‘20 is great for what it’s intended to be. I just need something more enjoyable for my daily driver.

The new car will take 4-5 weeks to arrive. All X3’s are made in North Carolina, and BMW handles most of their own chip production. Here are some details:
-Color: Dark Graphite Metallic exterior / Tacora Red interior with Carbon Fiber trim.
-Premium Package, Parking Assistance, and Remote start
-I stayed with the 19” wheels as the sidewalls on the 20/21” are too short for a daily driver on Northern Illinois roads.

I’ll write a brief review after it arrives.

9D5D850E-CDA1-462E-884C-981A292AA9AB.jpeg
4B8A1AA8-B254-4B74-BC0D-19D7F6A9AEFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice vehicle. It was high on my list back in 2019 when we bought our Sig. In the end, I preferred the Audi SQ5 and almost pulled the trigger. Since the vehicle is my wife's daily, she didn't want the power, or the badge on it. She likes to drive around more incognito. So, the CX-5 was a great compromise for us. I hope you enjoy it!

Great step up. At close to 60K new, I would expect it to be substantially better as well.

Also, made in South Carolina not North Carolina.

Nice vehicle. It was high on my list back in 2019 when we bought our Sig. In the end, I preferred the Audi SQ5 and almost pulled the trigger. Since the vehicle is my wife's daily, she didn't want the power, or the badge on it. She likes to drive around more incognito. So, the CX-5 was a great compromise for us. I hope you enjoy it!
That’s funny, I was shopping the SQ5 and M40i before I bought my Signature, and ended up choosing the Mazda for it’s anonymity and value. Also, politics at work have changed and I’m no longer concerned about the perception of driving a nicer car to work. I decided on the BMW as I’ve always liked their inline-6 and sporty nature.

Great step up. At close to 60K new, I would expect it to be substantially better as well.

Also, made in South Carolina not North Carolina.
North/South, tomayto/tomahto 😁.

Yeah, it’s definitely in a separate class, even from the base X3. If anything, my Signature with JB4 was the gateway vehicle to me wanting more performance. Hopefully this thing scratches the itch, otherwise I’m in serious trouble.

Yeah, it’s definitely in a separate class, even from the base X3. If anything, my Signature with JB4 was the gateway vehicle to me wanting more performance. Hopefully this thing scratches the itch, otherwise I’m in serious trouble.

I hear you. Enjoy!

Very awesome! I would love to have one, but I'd pay as much in fuel as I would the car note. The note I don't have an issue with, b ut stack another $5-700/mo on for fuel, and it gets stoopid.

I've kindof gone backwards. The first car I bought new was a 2011 Z06. Then a 370Z in 2012, then a Jeep w/HEMI in 2015, then a 2015 CX5, then a 2019 CX5, now my RAV4 Prime. The CX5's were just lacking in acceleration, and it made me money to get the Prime, so to speak. I am definitely staying tuned for Mazda's "Prime".

I've kindof gone backwards. The first car I bought new was a 2011 Z06. Then a 370Z in 2012, then a Jeep w/HEMI in 2015, then a 2015 CX5, then a 2019 CX5, now my RAV4 Prime. The CX5's were just lacking in acceleration, and it made me money to get the Prime, so to speak. I am definitely staying tuned for Mazda's "Prime".
Same boat. I spent waaaay too much money on cars in my 20’s: C5 Corvette, WRX’s, and 350Z to name a few. It’s been all Mazda since ‘07 though, CX-7 and two CX-5’s. While I’d like to wait for Mazda’s new products, especially their inline-6, I was tired of compromising and I wanted that BMW turbo 6 before it’s completely tainted by electric. Their current 48v mild hybrid setup is for the start/stop feature and torque fill off idle. It was imperceptible on my test drive, in a good way.

Very awesome! I would love to have one, but I'd pay as much in fuel as I would the car note. The note I don't have an issue with, b ut stack another $5-700/mo on for fuel, and it gets stoopid.
Fortunately my annual mileage is substantially less than yours. And from the looks of it, I’ll be spending slightly less on gas as I currently put 93 in the Mazda, and the X3 gets better real world mileage than the 21 mpg I’m currently seeing in the CX-5.

Is it 4-5 weeks later yet? :p

Will you be trading the CX-5 in when the X3 arrives? Or has it already been sold?

Right?!?

The actual transaction won’t take place until the new car arrives, so I’ll be driving my freshly detailed CX-5 to pick up the new car. We’ll see if the numbers work out for a trade-in. All of the value estimators online lead me to believe I’ll be trading it in. If not, I’m prepared to list it myself.

Same boat. I spent waaaay too much money on cars in my 20’s: C5 Corvette, WRX’s, and 350Z to name a few. It’s been all Mazda since ‘07 though, CX-7 and two CX-5’s. While I’d like to wait for Mazda’s new products, especially their inline-6, I was tired of compromising and I wanted that BMW turbo 6 before it’s completely tainted by electric. Their current 48v mild hybrid setup is for the start/stop feature and torque fill off idle. It was imperceptible on my test drive, in a good way.
After owning my Prime, I cannot wait for PHEV at the very least to take over. Its legit superior. Feels like my old Jeep with hemi, except faster. Power everywhere in the throttle/rpm band.

Fortunately my annual mileage is substantially less than yours. And from the looks of it, I’ll be spending slightly less on gas as I currently put 93 in the Mazda, and the X3 gets better real world mileage than the 21 mpg I’m currently seeing in the CX-5.
I was getting 27mpg over 80k miles, and paying $300-380/mo.

Honestly, I think if you pony up for a X3-M model, the gas should not be a limiting factor!

I would be surprised if you get better mileage with the X3. My brother had a 4 series coupe with the engine and it was magnificent. The X-drive system is just mile above what Mazda offers. But he ended up trading that in for a 2.5T Mazda 3 AWD sedan because of a couple of issues, one being only getting close to 17 MPG and the number of speeding tickets!

Back