Bilstein B4's vs. KYB; best for daily driver?

:
2010 Mazda5 Sport
My '10 -5 is past due for new shocks and struts (tires, too but that's another thread). This is my wife's daily driver and Koni's are a little out of budget (and I no longer autocross, alas!) so I am looking for OE replacement that will keep the excellent ride/handling balance. I'm not looking for a lowered, rock-hard race-track refugee, just good durable parts that the wife won't divorce me over the price...

So Monroe OE Spectrum or KYB Gas a Just for the rear? I've heard good things about the KYB's and are leaning that way but the OE's are nearly half-price... just don't tell the wife.

I can buy Bilstein B4 front struts for a little over $100 each which sounds like a good deal. Anybody have experience with these? I have read that they are OE spec for most vehicles and are very long lasting. KYB GR2 and Monroe OE Spectrum are a bit cheaper but how do they all compare?

Thanks for your time!

MazDin for shocking results

I have experience with neither of those products for the mz5, but do with other vehicles. If Koni is out of the picture, non-adjustable Bilsteins are a good bet usually.

The main thing I would recommend is getting the same brand front and rear. A matched set front and rear with similar damping characteristics is usually going to ride and handle better than mixing and matching shocks fr/rr, unless you know what you are trying to achieve and how the specific shock you are choosing is going to accomplish that.

Bilstien are generally regarded as some of the best in the industry (also a lifetime warranty).

Monroe is crap.

GR2 is probably the same as OEM.

My '10 -5 is past due for new shocks and struts (tires, too but that's another thread). This is my wife's daily driver and Koni's are a little out of budget (and I no longer autocross, alas!) so I am looking for OE replacement that will keep the excellent ride/handling balance. I'm not looking for a lowered, rock-hard race-track refugee, just good durable parts that the wife won't divorce me over the price...

So Monroe OE Spectrum or KYB Gas a Just for the rear? I've heard good things about the KYB's and are leaning that way but the OE's are nearly half-price... just don't tell the wife.

I can buy Bilstein B4 front struts for a little over $100 each which sounds like a good deal. Anybody have experience with these? I have read that they are OE spec for most vehicles and are very long lasting. KYB GR2 and Monroe OE Spectrum are a bit cheaper but how do they all compare?

Thanks for your time!

MazDin for shocking results
Bilsteins are famous for their monotube design. The B4 are twin tubes, which are perfectly good and better than OE replacements but not worth the cost in this case @ $100 each (btw, is this for front or rear?). I would also recommend double checking if matching B4’s are avail for the Mz5’s REAR. Last I looked, it was not an option but they did offer the B4 for the Mz3/MS3.

To Sac02’s point, not only do you want the same brand of shocks but you also want the same series.
Valving is very important, there’s also the lengthy of physical travel build into series “X” shock. The B4 will offer the most suspension travel as it is meant to be used with stock springs which are soft and tall. Their B6 (HD) and B8 (Sport) mono tubes are identical with the exception that the Sports have a ~1” (or 1.5) shorting shaft which is meant to pair with lowering springs. For example, you would not want to use B6 up front and B8 in the rear –unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I personally do not like KYBs but their stock replacements are perfectly good, esp for the value (rear GR2 came with the car). In the long run, the Koni FSD sound like the better solution (lifetime warranty to org owner). The KYBs are the financially responsible solution. I have no experience with Monroe.

Two alternatives:
A few years back Koni launched the budget SRT line but only for the Mz3 (maybe MS3 too?). Rumor is that their Sport (Yellow) set to the softer/softest setting. The front’s shouldn’t be an issue as they are the same parts but the rears will likely blow out on your in shorter time (or may not since these are advertised for mild lowering and if your local roads are not harsh) and “may” not ride as nice. You might be able to get away with the rears if paired with a taller set of high density (but progressive) bump stops to make up some of the weight. This would be a band aid if it even works. I think they also come with lifetime too ;)

This will cost more than the Knois but you get a almost custom solution. Get the B6 for the MS3 and submit a service request ($40-60?) when ordering to have them re-valve the rears to match the Mz5's rear end.

ooooooo I found a winner

Koni doesn't make an STR.T for the rear (weird) but they do make a FSD kit: Part#: 2100-4045

The FSD is essentially a dynamically-softening shock. So as you're humming along it's the stiffest it's ever going to be so once you hit uneven pavement it'll soften up as shock movement is frequent and fast (bumps). Really cool stuff. Not really for racing but in the case of a car in need of a bit more firm, it should be perfect.

I forgot the entry level Bilstein is twin-tube, but you won't get a monotube with stock damping curves for cost reasons.

If you can't get a set from a forum sponsor (i'd be speechless if you can't) shoot me a PM.

Thanks everybody for their time.

SacO2 and Silentnoise I'm aware of the front/rear balance issue, we run heavily loaded a lot and a little rear extra stiffness probably wouldn't hurt. 1st Gen RX-7 autocrosser (Ret) trust me I know rear stiffness! I will probably add the '12 rear springs anyway and adjustable upper arms this go round if the alignment warrants it.

Brandini TireRack has Koni FSD's at $800 a set with Sports not much less. If you can obtain them cheaper let me know! But I think Koni's are a little out of my financial reach, sadly.

Silentnoise I had to research the Bilstein website to understand what you were saying; gottcha! I never thought of the M3 or MS3 as an alternative even though I knew of their compatability. I'll look into my price/availability of B6's for those cars; if not much over $100 each they would be a bargain in comparison to the Koni's. As you said talking with the Bilstein rep would be beneficial for correct rear spec.

Thanks again and I'll keep the forum updated!

There's some room for improvement price-wise.

Also keep in mind if you put parts on a car that aren't *listed* as compatible... it may void any warranty as you're using it for a non-approved application. So be wary of cross-specing unless you're ok with assuming responsibility for failures.

I replaced my m5 rear shocks with KYB gas shocks, which is a vast improvement over the stock OEM shocks. So far I have driven about 300 miles on them so. Right now the roads going to my apartment complex are covered with little ice mound or ice ruts that the city is slow to clear away so it almost close to off-road driving. The new shocks handle the road just fine letting my 19 month old sleep in m5. I would says the KYB works really well so far.

I can't remember how long ago I put the KYB GR-2s on the car, but I'm sure its more than 15K miles, maybe 20K. No issues. They still feel new. Good thing compared to OE that were blown by 40K.
FWIW, I have Koni Sports on the front of my V70 T5 and KYB Gas-A-Just monotubes out back. I found they work well together. I was afraid that the monotubes would behave much differently than the twin-tube Konis, making the car unpredictable, but I appear to be wrong. Being able to take turns nearly 2X higher than the #yellow# advised speed and the car asking for more speed kinda backs it up.

Sorry, Did not know there are other vendor for Koni here. KYB would be more that fine for daily driver.

As predicted the annual Koni sale start today. This usually brings the cost of FSD or Yellow Sport to $450-500 shipped.
In the mean time KYB step up the game and giving $40 rebate too from March 1st to April 30th. So KYB cost $223 shipped after rebate. This is from KYBoutlet.com.

In the end I went with KYB Gr's in the front and Gas-adjust in the rear. The rebate and other financial considerations spoke loudly here. Thanks everybody for their time and feedback!

But did I make the wrong choice? Watch this forum, faithful readers!

MazDin for bump-damping fun!

The previous owner of my 5 put KYB's in the rear, about 2 years before I bought it. Still in really good shape, no signs of wear yet at all. I've had the 5 for about six months.

Latest posts

Back