Best tire for low usage - 3k/year?

:
mazda
2013 Sport around 3k/year on freeway!
205/55/R16
When I bought it used, it came with 4 MasterCraft - tires made in 2016.

I was making turn when the GPS started falling - I oversteered and hit the curb - the driver side front tire was instantly flat due to damage on the sidewall. In my entire driving, the first time it happened. Issues withe Mastercraft tire?

What would be good tire to buy for such a low usage - mostly freeway driving?
Spectrum tires? Very cheap.

Is there an alternative to suction cup on Garmin?

Last edited:
I use this mount. Never a problem in over a decade, other than sun fading.

For that low mileage it probably doesn't matter too much what tire you choose other than how well the tire performs in wet, dry and comfort. tirerack.com is a good place to compare tires and ratings. Here are a couple that do extremely well in the ratings, Vredestein Quatrac $115 and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II $121. The least expensive tire they offer in that size that is rated is Hankook Kinergy ST $96 which does pretty well in all but wet conditions. Not awfully there either but not nearly as well as the other two. There are a couple of less expensive options, the lowest Lauffen G Fit AS $85 but they aren't even rated so who knows what they'd be like.

My CX-30 uses 215/65/16. I plan to go with Firestone Destination LE3 most likely with Vredestein Quatrac and Michelin Crossclimate 2 as potential suspects although the Michelin is probably just too expensive with the others being around 98% as highly rated for a lot less money. Good luck with your research and purchase.

Should I be using performance tires to decrease braking distance?
I hear that this car takes longer to brake? Other thing might be using slotted rotors on the front?

Should I be using performance tires to decrease braking distance?
I hear that this car takes longer to brake? Other thing might be using slotted rotors on the front?
In the Motorweek roadtest of the CX-30 they recorded 60-0 stopping distance of 98 feet, an extremely good number, better than many (most?) performance cars. I presume that was done on the standard tires everyone is getting from the factory. You don't need anything better than that although it's your money and decision of course.

In the Motorweek roadtest of the CX-30 they recorded 60-0 stopping distance of 98 feet, an extremely good number, better than many (most?) performance cars. I presume that was done on the standard tires everyone is getting from the factory. You don't need anything better than that although it's your money and decision of course.
My car is Mazda 5 (not CX-30).
I remember reading in this forum that braking is not great on this car?

Separately, M5 owners had swapped the wheels from MazdaSpeed - some have even used brake calipers too.

My car is Mazda 5 (not CX-30).
I remember reading in this forum that braking is not great on this car?

Separately, M5 owners had swapped the wheels from MazdaSpeed - some have even used brake calipers too.
Go to motorweek.org and search tests on your car. Watch them and you'll find the braking distance. I don't know on the 5 as I don't have one so haven't paid attention. But Motorweek is a great place to get real input on cars.

Thank you @LDB415
In that emergency, 400 miles away from home, I found one used 2016 Michelin Premier A/S tire (Mastercraft is also 2016). With this one tire installed, M5 was braking better - how? In terms of brake, I done the service by Fluid exchange and changing the rear rotor/pad before the trip.

Recently I went to Consumer Report and they had higher reviews for Spectrum tire (on America's tire for $60) for SUV category.

Tires definitely make a difference. I frequently go to tirerack.com and do comparisons of tires.

Tires definitely make a difference. I frequently go to tirerack.com and do comparisons of tires.
After hitting the Curb, I took the car for alignment check. He said all were green and the car runs fine.
There was a minor adjustment needed.

So no alignment issue - slow speed as I was turning left. But tire instantly became flat!
Was the tire defective?

Wondering recommendations on good deals for a decent set 4 tires?
Perhaps there will be sale soon, Black Friday or ....?

Wondering recommendations on good deals for a decent set 4 tires?
Perhaps there will be sale soon, Black Friday or ....?
You can get a good deal on tires at wheel works / firestone chain shops, you can also have an extra hundred or so off if you apply for a CFNA credit card through them. This makes it possible to pay in 6 monthly installments, interest-free. Similar at other chain shops, I guess. Just make sure to check the shop reviews in advance, some of these are quite ok, while some are unprofessional.

You can get a good deal on tires at wheel works / firestone chain shops, you can also have an extra hundred or so off if you apply for a CFNA credit card through them. This makes it possible to pay in 6 monthly installments, interest-free. Similar at other chain shops, I guess. Just make sure to check the shop reviews in advance, some of these are quite ok, while some are unprofessional.
After the kerb incident and motocraft tire from previous owner explodes, I have become more caution on the brand.

How good is General Altimax RT43
This is right after on Consumer reports.

Back