Bass Box Hookup

slooper

My wife has a bass box enclosure with a 8 inch JBL Dual Voice Coil Sub. It says 100W nominal, 200W peak. I know enough about home speaker systems but nothing about car setups. What would be the best way to hook this thing up in the trunk area assuming I have a crossover and a 100W amp? Also, are all crossovers the same, or should I get a specific kind?
Thanks!

:D :D

Slooper, how you wire the sub up is going to be largely dependant upon the type of amplifier that you will be using. Is the amplifier a 2 channel 2 ohm stable unit or a monoblock 2 ohm stabel version. Most likely you will be using a 2 channel 2 ohm stable amplifier. In my opinion, the best way to wire a dual voice coil sub with this type of amplifier would be to wire the coils in series and bridging the amp. This would mean that you take the + of one of the coils and hook it to the + of the bridged pair of channels, then take the - of the other coil and hook it to the negative terminal of the bridged pair of channels. This would leave you one extra terminal on each coil, these two whould be hooked together with another piece of wire. This is going to be the safest way as far as the amplifier is concerned and althoug it would yeild the same power output as wiring the two coils to the amp in a stereo mode, it will assure that both coils are receiving the same amount of signal from the amp. As far as the x-over goes, I would make sure it has a slope of at least 12dB/Octave and possibly a bass boost either fixed or variable. In all honesty, most amplifiers now include x-overs on them, usually selectable between a high pass or a low pass or off and these are usually sufficient in a single amp set up. Sorry to drag this out so long, if you have any more questions feel free to email me privately.

Griff

Back