Automatic transmission rebuild info.

asmo 03 mp5

:
2003.5 titanium MSP
MAZDA FN4A-EL
This past winter I rebuilt the trans in my P5 Sportshift Auto.
Over the next few days I will compile all the info and parts etc used to rebuilt these transmissions.
I have worked as a mechanic for years and have built transmissions before, mainly older chev, and ford stuff. As transmissions go this one is pretty basic, but with the skills needed and special tools required it will probally be best for most to take it to a shop. This info will hopefully help you in undestanding what needs to be replaced and what parts to get.
My trans was slipping on the 2-3 shift and then went in to limp mode which is when(2, 4 and Rev,Park only work)
The Mazda transmission is almost identical to the ford focus 4F27E, the differences being- The case itself, the bolt patterns are different becouse they bolt to different engines. Different axle seals, The valve body is slightly different, but all the shift solenoids are the same. I used ford shift solenoids in mine and have put atleast 3-4k with no problems. Almost All internal parts are the same. The pans are different so there are two different filters one has a longer tube, when you change the filter make sure it matches the one you removed.
22313410047_medium.jpg

Last edited:
0311mm_focus_06_z.jpg

The side cover removed, overdrive band and the drum with arrows showing the wear areas,
if the drum is worn it needs replaced.

0311mm_focus_09_z.jpg

Next is disassembly of the drum , this pic shows the direct clutches, stock three top, and replacement clutches bottom, (note they only used 4 clutches and steels) the kit includes 5 but some people have had trouble fitting all five in, mine was a tight fit but I got all five in.
barrowed pic my direct clutch looked worse than that!

0311mm_focus_08_z.jpg

The planetary gear set is then removed inspected.

Last edited:
The kit I used for the upgraded clutches and steels Alto part #133750 AHPPWR
This kit has Alto redlined clutches kolene steels and has the infamous powerpack upgrade for the Direct clutch, This is a problem prone area in these tranmissions. Stock there are only 3 clutches and 3 thick steels, which in itself seems odd becouse everywhere else it uses at least 4, the kit gives you 5 clutches and 5 thinner steels, and with a little effort fits easily, this set-up is alot better than stock.
I also used Alto hd redlined band part# 133961
There is also tool to check the band, it is not adjustable like other transmissions, it is adjusted by a bolt on the case, you have to have the tool to check the lenght of bolt needed, and then most likely order the bolt from mazda.

22313410045_large.jpg

Last edited:
The case split in half
0311mm_focus_05_z.jpg

22313410049_large.jpg

Pump removed, input shaft can now be removed.

22313410044_large.jpg

I bought a ford racing kit #
it has upgraded converter and the billet input shaft.
(note this kit has been discontinued by ford racing -however TCS makes the converters, and they or lentech made and can probally still get the shaft)
The converter in the kit is for a focus and the bolt pattern to the flywheel is just a bit smaller, I had a machine shop redrill my stock flywheel to fit the converter, cost about $20 the shop said they did this type of thing all the time. Ive ran a few thousand miles and had no problems.

22313410046_large.jpg

input shaft and moulded pistons.

Last edited:
Another note = I recently had the ford trans go out on my sisters focus, she had bought it used less than a year earlier. It was covered by a non-factory warrenty, I talked with the repair shop and since they were being paid by the warrenty to rebuilt the trans why not fix it right, I bought the kit and they replaced the clutches with the altos and hd band during the rebuild. They said the warrenty paid them to get the parts I provided so they were actually making a little xtra.

Last edited:
Cool, I have a crap auto too but I'm just starting to complain about it grinding slipping and sticking the clutch. Good to see an older tranny getting the rebuild.

Subbin'

Major props to you for opening up and understanding the mystery that goes on inside the magical slush box. I'm hoping my sportauto with Red Line fluid and the Lentech VB will help it last quite awhile. I had the auto on my '91 626 rebuilt and it was never the same again.

Major props to you for opening up and understanding the mystery that goes on inside the magical slush box. again.

+1 on that. Are you a professional mechanic, or have you just been tinkering with these long enough to figure out how they work? I'm just curious if I'll ever be able to really understand what goes on in our trannies without having to take advanced classes.

nice job my trans (01 protege es) was havin the exact same problem you might wanna check the drun in the bottom of the trans just to make sure that it isnt shot

thats a common problem with these little bastards lol

Ya I think you could pull the side cover off and change the drum, band, and direct clutch discs/steels with the trans in the car, if it would drop low enough. I think if you pulled the axles and removed the crossmember and mount it could be serviced/changed that way.

how does the shift feel? and i wasn't able to really find it but do you know the protege converter slip rate at WOT? or does it have a torque converter clutch?

great wright up, thank you. i have the fs auto trans and i would love to have it rebuilt with a sportie shift and better gutts. would these packeges fit, if so what kind of $$ would i be looking at?

oh my! i'm dizzy just looking at the pics...i swapped out my valve bodies...that was enough for me! great pics by the way!

Back