Auto Headlights, Auto High beam, Auto Wipers, Auto Dim Quirk

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Something I noticed on my 2019 signature:
1. When auto headlights and auto high beams are turned on and it starts raining, the high beams turn on regardless of traffic. I think this is a safety issue as some people don't pay attention to their dashboard. I rarely look at my dashboard due to the HUD.
2. Auto headlights don't turn on when it is raining. I drove a rental Hyundai and it turned on the headlights when the auto wipers turned on. It did keep cycling in and off when it was light rain.
3. On 2018 CX-5s I have rented, the infotainment and driver information screen auto dimmed based on the headlights coming on. On my 2019, there is no auto dimming when the headlights come on.

Anybody else notice these issues?

Sounds like the kind of stuff that can be set/adjusted in the settings section of the infotainment system.
I know in my 6, the display brightness can be set to auto, night, or day for example.
There may also be something in the manual that addresses these concerns.

Sounds like the kind of stuff that can be set/adjusted in the settings section of the infotainment system.
I know in my 6, the display brightness can be set to auto, night, or day for example.
There may also be something in the manual that addresses these concerns.

It's set to Auto. All of the options are set to auto or default. I only noticed this behavior occurring on my 2019 CX-5.

It's set to Auto. All of the options are set to auto or default. I only noticed this behavior occurring on my 2019 CX-5.

Have you tried this?
d80618f2917943b0f969527ebb2021c7.jpg

Something I noticed on my 2019 signature:
1. When auto headlights and auto high beams are turned on and it starts raining, the high beams turn on regardless of traffic. I think this is a safety issue as some people don't pay attention to their dashboard. I rarely look at my dashboard due to the HUD.

This just makes the car work like many people without this feature drive. I can't tell you how often I am blinded by some numbskull with no clue their hi beams are on.

My guess is that the rain is messing with the cameras that detect oncoming lights.

2. Auto headlights don't turn on when it is raining. I drove a rental Hyundai and it turned on the headlights when the auto wipers turned on. It did keep cycling in and off when it was light rain.
The auto headlights come on based on a light sensor. If it's raining in the middle of the day, the sensor doesn't detect that it's dark enough to turn on the headlights. Again, I see this on the road constantly.

I have a new Hyundai. Your rental had a feature that turns the headlights on (if in AUTO) if the wipers are swiping for more than a minute. I think this feature should be mandated to be standard.

Last edited:
Rain and headlight are two different sensors reacting to different, unrelated inputs. It shouldn't go to hi beam as you describe.

I don't think mine does that, but I'll check next time I'm out in the rain. Unfortunately, it hasn't rained here in two months and no sign of any coming.

Have you tried this?
d80618f2917943b0f969527ebb2021c7.jpg

That does adjust the brightness but it retains the brightness setting regardless of day or night time. On the 2018 CX-5, you would push it and it would go to either minimum or maximum brightness. Now, if you push it, the driver screen cycles between MPH and KPH.

Rain and headlight are two different sensors reacting to different, unrelated inputs. It shouldn't go to hi beam as you describe.

I don't think mine does that, but I'll check next time I'm out in the rain. Unfortunately, it hasn't rained here in two months and no sign of any coming.

It hasn't rained since last month but I finally remembered to post this question. I don't get any error messages that popup in the driver screen e.g. no MRCC disabled to front camera visibility.

Back