Anyone with seat time in the CX-50 who has a CX-5?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Anyone with any seat time in the CX-50 who has a CX-5, maybe specifically from a CX-5-Turbo? Size and fit compared to the CX-5?

Anyone with any seat time in the CX-50 who has a CX-5, maybe specifically from a CX-5-Turbo? Size and fit compared to the CX-5?
I test drove one the other day, I have the '21 NA cx5 and it was a turbo cx50. It felt much bigger and more brawny when looking out from the drive and the windows seemed much smaller. Headroom was fine with the seat lowered (6'2) but noticably less than the cx5 where there's plenty for me. Didn't really notice a big difference in width of the front space. The seats kinda felt more comfy, the arm rests were nice. The fit and finish seemed just as good as the cx5. I like the simpler style of the cx5, where the cx50 has a little more design which is cool too. The drive smoothed out bumps much much more than the cx5 which I loved, but it felt slightly less viscerally connected to the road. It still took corners like a mazda though. Also, the steering took less movement for the same turn than the cx5, which felt a little less fun but smoother.

The me the CX-5 has more a raised sport coupe look. It's just me and SWMBO, so we don't really need anything more than out 2021 Sig, but I'd like to know what extra goodies we get with the CX-50 premium plus. I still think that on exterior look alone the CX-5 has more of raised sport coupe look so I need to check out the interior. That said, Id make the switch if it just felt more special

Had a direct experience today at a local dealer. I'm on the shorter side, so height fitment is never an issue for me in most vehicles. Seats at least initially are definitely better than my 2019 CX-5. Immediately feels more supportive without the back and seat area itself being too firm, but I'll note I do prefer a firmer seat in general. The seats also visually appear wider at least on the bottom. But, I think past Mazda seat complaints have also been that the foam padding inside starts to crush over time, and so only time will tell about the CX-50's longevity. My CX-5's bottom side bolsters have definitely compressed over time.

I don't typically rest my right elbow on anything while driving, but the CX-50 center storage top seems a little better positioned for that. It also is less "cushy" than my CX-5--I think I read somewhere that was done on purpose for better stabilization when someone leans on it to assist in getting out of the vehicle..??

I like the comfy couch feeling I get when I'm driving (the seats are fine for me and didn't know how the 50 compares

I like the comfy couch feeling I get when I'm driving (the seats are fine for me and didn't know how the 50 compares
I should have clarified further that I'm absolutely fine with my 2019 CX-5 drivers seat, but the CX-50 seat feels ever better to me, whether that's due to redesign or just being "virgin" seats, or both And, the 2019 is head and shoulders above my previous 2016 front seats. I think that one didn't have the lumbar adjustment, which is always key for me.

Let's summarize this way: just in terms of general seat comfort (ignoring height or body size concerns), if you have a current gen CX-5, you will find the CX-50 drivers seat as comfortable if not more so.

Does the front cabin seem the same, side-to-side?
The front cabin I felt definitely looks and feels wider than the CX-5--more clearly rectangular, if you will, due to the lower headroom. And while dimensions-wise it is physically wider, visually it looks even more wide than the 5 because of the different proportions. The less cluttered dashboard design (less prominent/more incorporated middle vent) probably also contributes to that impression.

FYI and the extra width for the back seating area also seemed immediately obvious to me when opening the side rear door. Same for the rear cargo area depth, but again, there's a visual component to that impression because of the lack of wheel well bump ins.

To be clear, we're not talking huge differences in size, but I feel enough that it could make the CX-50 a better choice for drivers of certain body heights/sizes, those with concerns about back passenger width room, and also depending on the type of cargo typically carried.

Back