Anyone with a CX-5 have any significant time in a CX-30 for comparo?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
I'm really looking to see the CX-30 Turbo. Obviously I can test drive a CX-30 but I'm wondering if there's anyone who has spent a bit of time in one who can give me a comparison to the CX-5. I have the Signature now. Without regard to the engine I'm curious of the driving dynamics. I'm guessing that being smaller, if I like my CX-5 I'll love the CX-30? Can anyone confirm how this is as a daily compared to the CX-5? It's just me and the gf and there's not a lot of hauling so size doesn't matter (no jokes please) in that respect, but I'm guessing it would be noticed being it's has a smaller driving compartment? Less comfy in general?

I had a loaner CX-30 for a day while my CX-5 was getting serviced. I noticed it being lower to the ground compared to the 5 and it’s much punchier. It was a nice ride especially if you don’t have a kid and need the storage space. I actually missed the comfort of my 5 but I can see why you would trade in a 5 for a 30..

So not as comfy as the 5 due to it's smaller cabin? I already have my fun car, a 2011 Miata GT PRHT, but I'm waiting to see how quick this will be with the 2.5T

hal2,
A major concern I have is the Torsion beam rear axle on Mazda3 and CX30. Mazda did it to save space and reduce noise from suspension. In fact, new Mazda3 and CX30 did not do well in moose test (look it up on Youtube). The 2nd-gen Prius (my wife got one) had the same suspension shared with Corolla. I was not impressed at all.

I am not picky about horsepower of my vehicles, but handling is critical to me.

A lot more as to do with the suspension tuning than the actual type of suspension. You can tune a torsion bar set-up to be pretty good. I have no doubt this mazda 3 and cx-30 will out handle any of the torsion bar prius and corolla of the time. and even Corolla’s without torsion bars handled terribly in the past. So that goes without saying.

That being said. this mazda 3 gen and cx-30 apparently doesn’t handle as fun as the previous gen mazda 3, but it may very well still be handling better than a cx-5.

what i mean is give it a try. If handling isn’t to your liking then thats ok, but don’t discount it just because it says torsion bar in the specs sheet. Hopefully other users with experience with both model will be able to add to this post as well.

A lot more as to do with the suspension tuning than the actual type of suspension. You can tune a torsion bar set-up to be pretty good. I have no doubt this mazda 3 and cx-30 will out handle any of the torsion bar prius and corolla of the time. and even Corolla’s without torsion bars handled terribly in the past. So that goes without saying.

That being said. this mazda 3 gen and cx-30 apparently doesn’t handle as fun as the previous gen mazda 3, but it may very well still be handling better than a cx-5.

what i mean is give it a try. If handling isn’t to your liking then thats ok, but don’t discount it just because it says torsion bar in the specs sheet. Hopefully other users with experience with both model will be able to add to this post as well.

I agree. In this TheStraightPipes review of the 2019 Mazda3 AWD (with the torsion beam suspension), at the 1:20 and 2:30 marks, they talk about the torsion beam suspension a bit.

One thing I noticed too was at the 2:50 mark. From watching the passenger's body shift slightly and the background, you can see that the car enters and exits a curve, but you can also see how the driver doesn't move an inch. It looks like he's just driving in a straight line the entire time. Just thought it was interesting to see the whole Jinba Ittai principle in action.

It's a little small for my practical needs but I'm 5'10" so I wouldn't worry about my personal comfort. At just over 3000 lbs (base model- sans turbo and AWD?) the lighter weight probably makes the most out of the torsion beam suspension. They probably wanted to save money but maybe they thought it was ok for the car.
Can you imagine the 2.5T with the 6MT?

hal2,
A major concern I have is the Torsion beam rear axle on Mazda3 and CX30. Mazda did it to save space and reduce noise from suspension. In fact, new Mazda3 and CX30 did not do well in moose test (look it up on Youtube). The 2nd-gen Prius (my wife got one) had the same suspension shared with Corolla. I was not impressed at all.

I am not picky about horsepower of my vehicles, but handling is critical to me.

Why would you even point to the moose test ? It is a stupid and gimmicky test. If you look on how many WAY MORE EXPENSIVE cars which has IRS and they are labeled as "sport cars", fail the test, you will understand that this test is actually useless. The Mazda 3 and CX-30 has the highest rating possible in crash tests. That should summarize everything.

Why would you even point to the moose test ? It is a stupid and gimmicky test. If you look on how many WAY MORE EXPENSIVE cars which has IRS and they are labeled as "sport cars", fail the test, you will understand that this test is actually useless. The Mazda 3 and CX-30 has the highest rating possible in crash tests. That should summarize everything.

I would like to understand the reasons for your opinion regarding the "moose test". What makes it a useless test? It seems to simulate a plausible real world scenario.

I would like to understand the reasons for your opinion regarding the "moose test". What makes it a useless test? It seems to simulate a plausible real world scenario.

Moose test reflects how a car is handling in a crush and avoidance situation, therefore its related to safety, that's why I was referring to the Mazda 3/CX-30 rating test, which are very good.

BUT, the reply was towards the handling of the 3/cx-30 because it does not have IRS. If you are using a moose test in determining the safety of the car and passenger its ok, however I don't see the safety companies giving the rating based on such a test, that's why I said the moose test in useless in assessing the safety of the vehicle, no matter if it has a IRS or not.

If you are using a moose test to determine the handling of the car I said that is useless, because it is a specific test which probably 3/4 of todays cars will fail, no matter if they use IRS or like in Mazda 3/CX-30 situation, not.

For the moose test, the cx-30 did it at 74 km/h and the cx-5 did it at 77 km/h. Not a big difference.

So I had this in the CX-5 section and the mods moved it to CX-30. While grateful, I'm not looking for CX-30 opinions, I'm hoping to find someone who owns or has extensively driven a CX-5 and the comparative driving characteristics of the CX-30

Side-Topic...
So I had this in the CX-5 section and the mods moved it to CX-30. While grateful, I'm not looking for CX-30 opinions, I'm hoping to find someone who owns or has extensively driven a CX-5 and the comparative driving characteristics of the CX-30
I left a temporary redirect (in the CX-5 Forum set to expire in a month) and moved the thread to the CX-30 Forum because ultimately it seems to be about the CX-30. Those Members who have or had a CX-5 and own a CX-30 or drove one can easily see this thread here and chime in. People interested in the CX-30 and wondering how it compares to the CX-5 might find this thread here useful.

I can move it back if you like, let me know, thanks.

Yes, please. I'd rather hear from people whose primary car is a CX-5 who happened to have tried out the CX 30 also

Back