Anyone having luck eliminating the bogus dealer add-ons?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
A lot of young people commonly state "1st new car, not sure what to pay" so maybe this will help out in todays market...

I was at Costco, and of course the car outside says "ignore MSRP" as see on the Costco display car. But I found it interesting, though not surprising, to see this addendum sticker. Other than the VW guards, the rest is near useless and all profit. - Window tint should be less than $300 depending on quality, One Armor Protection Pkg is almost 100% profit, and the the GPS protection has some associated cost, but hundreds less than the $800 they want. - so even before whatever Costco they give you, they've already added $2,450 to the price. I don't need to mention dealer doc because while those can be be m=negotiated in the deal, they can't really be removed from the contract.

So, under normal circumstances us old timer would say "I'll pay X for the car, but not a penny for those things you added after the car got to your lot - and we would often win.

I'm curious, have any of you had any success in the last year negotiating MSRP (or whatever), and said "take off those add-ons"? - I know, they always say "oh, we can't deduct those because they are already on the car"

PXL_20211023_193616529_2.jpg

Last edited:
In the current market highly unlikely. 2 yrs ago it was easily doable.

They even have market adjustment addons nowadays and especially in Phoenix the doc fee which was absurdly high before is even higher now. 500 vs 700 and so on.

Even 2 years ago, 5 dealers in AZ wouldn't budge.
I played hard ball and got lucky then. Got my 2020 Signature for $33,093 all in before TT&L, in April 2020, early pandemic but pre pandemic pricing......

MSRP $38,705, plus dealer addendum of $1,500 for Window tint and Theft recovery system, then his $600 doc fee. I told him I'd pay $33,000 all in before TT&L - ended up $33,093 & TT&L- close enough.

There are dealers in my area that do this. When we were shopping for our CX-5, we test drove a CR-V and a Santa Fe. Both dealers showed window etching, paint protection, etc... The Honda dealer was easy enough to get everything removed, but the Hyundai dealer was playing hardball, up until we walked out. By then I really wasn't interested. The local Mazda dealer didn't play games like this, so it was not an issue.

I played hard ball and got lucky then. Got my 2020 Signature for $33,093 all in before TT&L, in April 2020, early pandemic but pre pandemic pricing......

MSRP $38,705, plus dealer addendum of $1,500 for Window tint and Theft recovery system, then his $600 doc fee. I told him I'd pay $33,000 all in before TT&L - ended up $33,093 & TT&L- close enough.
Did you have any trade in, or any incentives applied to the purchase? Simply providing a single value listed as the selling price doesn't really mean a lot. I can put together a range of deals from very good to really bad, all with the same amount listed as the selling price.

First off, I don't use trade in numbers as that's just an obfuscation (look up the word) that dealers use along with trade-in numbers to boost a customers ego about "what a great deal they gave me for my trade". But admittedly I did forget to mention the $1,500 loyalty & $500 healthcare worker.

But still,, that's nearly $4,000 under MSRP - and with having them knock off the bogus $1,500 window tint and theft protection as shown. But I acknowledge that was pre-pandemic pricing. Still, when Berge, Horne, and Camelback tell you that they can't match Mark Mazda's price then you know you got a good deal.

Inkedcopped invoice totals_LI.jpg
InkedPXL_20211025_155557211_2_LI.jpg

Last edited:
First off, I don't use trade in numbers as that's just an obfuscation (look up the word) that dealers use along with trade-in numbers to boost a customers ego about "what a great deal they gave me for my trade". But admittedly I did forget to mention the $1,500 loyalty & $500 healthcare worker.

But still,, that's nearly $4,000 under MSRP - and with having them knock off the bogus $1,500 window tint and theft protection as shown. But I acknowledge that was pre-pandemic pricing. Still, when Berge, Horne, and Camelback tell you that they can't match Mark Mazda's price then you know you got a good deal.
No question that was a good deal. It is a lot more reasonable given the fact that you included the $2k discount from rebates in that number. I don't need to look up obfuscation, but thanks for making the false assumption about my intelligence.

First off, I don't use trade in numbers as that's just an obfuscation (look up the word) that dealers use along with trade-in numbers to boost a customers ego about "what a great deal they gave me for my trade".
Just to clarify, you did not trade-in any vehicle to the dealer you bought the CX-5 from, correct?

Back