Any photographers in here?

Might as well do exploratory surgery.

Well, I made the plunge... my 5dII and 24-105 ship to me today. $2400 for the camera and lens together, shipped... if I don't like it, I'll just sell it... if I do like it, I don't know if I will keep the 1d... decisions, decisions...

Flyin, how was aviation day? our weekend got super busy, but I definitely want to clear the schedule for the Stuart air show this year. it will be a long wait though :(

Might as well do exploratory surgery.

Well, I made the plunge... my 5dII and 24-105 ship to me today. $2400 for the camera and lens together, shipped... if I don't like it, I'll just sell it... if I do like it, I don't know if I will keep the 1d... decisions, decisions...

Flyin, how was aviation day? our weekend got super busy, but I definitely want to clear the schedule for the Stuart air show this year. it will be a long wait though :(

Sweet. Was it used? It's still 2300 new for a body only here. With the lens it's about 3k.

yeah used. if I was going to get a new one, I would just have gotten the refurb one... $1750+tax on canon's refurb site.

got the 5d2 in the mail the other day... haven't had a chance to play with it much... just in the house. I like the look and feel so far... almost exactly like my 50d was but with much better results. I didn't believe the focus stuff until I put the 50mm f/1.4 on. Yikes.

got the 5d2 in the mail the other day... haven't had a chance to play with it much... just in the house. I like the look and feel so far... almost exactly like my 50d was but with much better results. I didn't believe the focus stuff until I put the 50mm f/1.4 on. Yikes.

Yup. It's just really finicky and might take some time to get used to. The 24-70 is great on it in terms of field of view and having it as a walkaround lens. At 2.8 though, the focus hunts unless you use the middle point. Oh well..I'll get my 5d2 soon from a friend and try it out for a week.

it's cool. Try to avoid the halos around darker objects. Also, your longest exposure wasn't quite long enough. You're missing detail in the dark areas.

I like the halo effect on certain HDR images. If you are going for realism though then never mind me :)

Quick question. I have a Canon XS with a Tamron 70-300 LD Di Macro 1:2 f4-5.6 lens. When I use manual mode on the camera, all I get is "Err 01 Faulty Connection between lens and camera body." If I use Av or Tv mode, it works fine. I've tried taking out the battery, and cleaning the contacts. Any ideas on troubleshooting.

I know the lens is a cheap $100 lens and I should probably just get a new one, but I don't want to spend the money--and what if the lens is not the problem?

My 50mm f1.8 and kit 18-55 IS lenses seem to work fine. I never have this issue with them, only with the Tamron 70-300 in Manual mode. Thanks!

it's cool. Try to avoid the halos around darker objects. Also, your longest exposure wasn't quite long enough. You're missing detail in the dark areas.

I think that's probably what I've been hearing the most. I'm not too worried about it for this one since it's my first, but I need to work on bracketing my exposures better in the future.

Quick question. I have a Canon XS with a Tamron 70-300 LD Di Macro 1:2 f4-5.6 lens. When I use manual mode on the camera, all I get is "Err 01 Faulty Connection between lens and camera body." If I use Av or Tv mode, it works fine. I've tried taking out the battery, and cleaning the contacts. Any ideas on troubleshooting.

I know the lens is a cheap $100 lens and I should probably just get a new one, but I don't want to spend the money--and what if the lens is not the problem?

My 50mm f1.8 and kit 18-55 IS lenses seem to work fine. I never have this issue with them, only with the Tamron 70-300 in Manual mode. Thanks!

If you have 2 other lenses that are working fine, I'd venture to say it's the lens.

Not a proclaimed photographer, but I do like capturing cool things forever. There was a fairly large fire near our home in Colorado today. No one was hurt (so far). Here are some pics I got. The sun was blood read. Kind of creepy!
FireSmokeSunBall_3032712_2.jpg

FireSmokeSunBall_2032712_2.jpg

and of course
MissyRedSun.jpg

I shoot motorsports. Last event I did was Rennsport Reunion IV at Laguna Seca, which is the biggest Porsche event in the western hemisphere, and was actually pretty cool. I do touring car and GT stuff as well whenever I can get somebody to send me out to do it.

Here's a few pics.

Kevin Doran's 2007 RS Spyder was one of the newest and fastest cars of the weekend. by maximstensel, on Flickr

DSC_1052.jpg by maximstensel, on Flickr

Ernie Spada's 962 produced some very crowd-pleasing fireballs at the top of the corkscrew. by maximstensel, on Flickr

racing (15 of 15) by maximstensel, on Flickr

_DSC0443.jpg by maximstensel, on Flickr

I do portraits and stuff as well. I haven't done a lot of static car photography, I'd really like to get more into it.

Is that real?

No it's an airsoft gun. LOL. I would never use real guns in a shoot. Too much liability etc etc. Can be dangerous especially since we are all amateurs etc. I painted the orange tip black in photoshop.

6888499562_64748c38eb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back