Aftermarket Rear Vent Metal Trim Piece--Adhesion Issues

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Any suggestions for something other than the gray 3M tape that usually comes standard on aftermarket trim pieces?

I recently purchased a few of the black titanium aftermarket interior metal trim pieces, including the shift plate , the seat adjustment control panel, the rear drink tray, and the rear vent covers.

The only one with adhesion issues is the rear vent plate and the tiny one for around the center flow control adjustment there. I cleaned the area carefully just as I did for the other parts, but it is almost as if the texturing on that area's plastic is preventing good adhesion. The flow adjustment trim has only a tiny area for the tape, and that literally pops off in my hand. At least for the larger part, it doesn't appear to be a fitment issue in terms of the piece properly matching the contours of the original surface. I tried also using adhesion promoter, but that didn't seem to help that much either.

I believe neither of these parts interfere with potential disassembly if that is ever needed, so I'm opening to permanently gluing them if necessary. They are very subtle and look almost OEM, so I don't think I will grow tired of them.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I got one for the center console dial.
It did not fit well. One corner always flipped up. The 3M tape was not able to hold it down.
Poor fit and finish.
That is the risk you take when buying stuff from Aliexpress and eBay.
Too much trouble to return it. Just threw it away.

The chrome side panel lower trims did not fit well either.

Maybe I bought from a different origin/source, but the 2 shift panel pieces, the rear drink holder and the seat adjustment control trims all fit quite well and with strong adhesion. I was concerned about the depth of the shift panel one interfering with the button controls or just looking too elevated, but both concerns seem unfounded to me. Didn't even use adhesion promoter, as I was concerned that would damage the finish on the OEM shift panel, anyway. The rear vent trim is the only problematic one. Maybe I will just Gorilla Glue it.

I got the rear vent trim for more than just aesthetics--in my previous CX-5, that same jutting-out area on the center console back got scratched up over time from people's shoes and things stored in the back. There was no rear vent there in my 2016, so maybe that's part of it, but hey....LOL

a4182226-70-this%20thread%20is%20useless%20without%20pics%20(Large).gif

You could try JB Weld epoxy if you're looking for a permanent solution, but be prepared to sit there holding it down for a while if you lay it on too thickly. I'd also try buying a roll of 3M tape, and replacing the existing tape with the 3M tape.

I'm laughing, because I ordered that exact product, even that exact width, just this morning. You and sm1ke I think are onto something, which is to just try more 3M tape first as the most simple potential solution.

In regards to photos, would love to share, but my car is garaged and it is also rainy and dark here, so any current photos will be crappy. But I'll try to get some when it is again sunny, as I know that photos can be helpful for others to make their own decisions.

If you don't minds spending a little coin and some time cutting out the shape you need, I guarantee you that you won't find anything stronger than this 3M product. It's super thin and the bond is incredibly strong. In MN we have temps that range from -30F to 100+F. We also have outside mailboxes where we put our own house numbers on. Our mailbox has a slight curve in the area where the numbers go. We have peel & stick metal numbers that kept popping up on the edges because of the curvature of the mailbox. Then inevitably they would fall off. Bought a sheet of this stuff and re-lined the back of each number as they have fallen off. None of them have shown any sign whatsoever of coming off again even with our harsh climate. This is way stronger than the 3M tape usually applied to items like those trim plates. I am certain that if you used this stuff it would stick!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

If you don't minds spending a little coin and some time cutting out the shape you need, I guarantee you that you won't find anything stronger than this 3M product. It's super thin and the bond is incredibly strong. In MN we have temps that range from -30F to 100+F. We also have outside mailboxes where we put our own house numbers on. Our mailbox has a slight curve in the area where the numbers go. We have peel & stick metal numbers that kept popping up on the edges because of the curvature of the mailbox. Then inevitably they would fall off. Bought a sheet of this stuff and re-lined the back of each number as they have fallen off. None of them have shown any sign whatsoever of coming off again even with our harsh climate. This is way stronger than the 3M tape usually applied to items like those trim plates. I am certain that if you used this stuff it would stick!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Thank you--haven't run across that exact product yet, but it does seem like a viable solution. Also going to keep it generally in mind, as there are many other applications for which I could use it!

Latest posts

Back