Aftermarket LED fog lights and stock wiring

I have a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 fog lights coming for my 2021 Sport. It currently does not have fog lights, and I do not plan to mount my new lights in the stock location. I got a wiring harness that is used to hook the lights directly to the battery with a switch and in-line fuse. This would mean that the power to them would not be switched on/off with the ignition. I was wondering if I am able to utilize the stock harness for my aftermarket lights. I know there are plugs down in the bumper that hook up to the OEM fog lights. I also know a new stock has to be purchased for the steering wheel to add the fog light on/off functionality. If the total draw of the new lights is 2.4 amps, I would figure that the stock fuse of 15A would be good? My goal would be to be able to just tap into the stock wires in the bumper to power my new lights and be able to turn on and off like OEM. Any input is appreciated!

Use the factory wiring to trigger relays that feed your fogs from the battery. That way you don't have to worry about current draw on the factory wiring at all.

1644261644121.png

2.4 amps is pretty low. The fuse you actually use is more about the wiring AWG gauge. You could use 7.5a for a little more safety unless there are other accessories on that circuit.

I’m guessing you got the sport if it’s 2.4A total? I’ve got the Pros on my wife’s 4Runner and the SSC1 fog lights on my CX-9. IIRC, the SSC1s were each drawing 1.4A and I put them in the stock location using the existing harness. I would avoid the extra wiring and just add them to the existing harness

I’m guessing you got the sport if it’s 2.4A total? I’ve got the Pros on my wife’s 4Runner and the SSC1 fog lights on my CX-9. IIRC, the SSC1s were each drawing 1.4A and I put them in the stock location using the existing harness. I would avoid the extra wiring and just add them to the existing harness
Correct. I got the sport models. I’m going to try the stock wiring first with the OEM steering wheel stalk to turn them on. I’m having to make a pigtail to plug the fog lights into the stock plugs in the bumper. I’m with you, avoiding wiring them is the best case scenario. From researching the stock wiring schematics and existing fog light relay, I think I should be fine with the stock wiring.

Have you been happy with your Diode Dynamics lights?

Correct. I got the sport models. I’m going to try the stock wiring first with the OEM steering wheel stalk to turn them on. I’m having to make a pigtail to plug the fog lights into the stock plugs in the bumper. I’m with you, avoiding wiring them is the best case scenario. From researching the stock wiring schematics and existing fog light relay, I think I should be fine with the stock wiring.

Have you been happy with your Diode Dynamics lights?
The ones on the 4Runner have been awesome. Plenty of times they have been used. Also tried Rigid and Baja Designs on there and they are nothing compared to DD. The SSC1s on my CX-9 have been on for a week or two and I didn’t aim them correctly before putting the bumper back on so unsure of performance on those yet. They should be on par with your SS3 sports though according to DD

Edit: I ended up cutting off the existing plug for the fog lights and wired in the DT pigtail that comes with the DD. Did you get backlights?

Quick question, does all models 2017 and newer are pre-wired for fog lights?
I don't want to make a new thread, but at the same time I haven't found the definitive answer so I can be sure to proceed in purchasing fog lights for my 2017 touring.

Thank you in advance.

I've not seen any Mazda made in the 21st century (other than the B series) that wasn't pre-wired.

Simply stick your head under there and look! You may need to get a panel out of the way, but that will consist of a couple of screws and maybe a clip or 2.

Back