Affordable Protege5 exhaust upgrade options?

I’ve read through some post already but people seem to be all over the place when it comes to aftermarket exhaust

I’m not ready to spend racing beat money for their full system which last time I checked looked to be about 600$. I’m leaning towards just axle back

Lots of people use the HKS. Personally, I don’t like the angle it sits at. I’ve seen few OBX mufflers but when I look there is like 20 options. I’d prefer flat or oval ish style muffler as I think the round mufflers show too much from behind. I also like the straight exit approach with a larger double wall tip

Any input is greatly appreciated. Obviously not looking for power gains but more noise. Nothing crazy at idle but something that’s Alive while under throttle. Eventually I’ll throw on either the INJEN cai or AEM

Well I reached out to Racing Beat and asked if they would just sell the Mazda Protege5 as an axle back not catback and they declined

why don't you just get a custom exhaust welded up for you at a nearby shop?

You can do something simple, with a high flow stainless steel resonator and some sort of high flow muffler all connected with stainless steel piping from the cat-back.

why don't you just get a custom exhaust welded up for you at a nearby shop?

You can do something simple, with a high flow stainless steel resonator and some sort of high flow muffler all connected with stainless steel piping from the cat-back.
Well I just assumed given the price of everything that it would put me about the same ballpark as racing beat. I could be totally wrong in that assumption

+1 on a DIY or exhaust shop option, especially for an axle back system 👍
I have an exhaust shop that has done all my cars. I haven’t looked at our stock piping size but what is the general consensus? I’m not super familiar with car exhaust. I’ve always owned trucks so that typically means, 2 chamber muffler. Would same be for this car? I just don’t want anything super ricey or like I’m trying to hard.

From memory for a full system it should be around 2 1/4", axle back could be around 2 1/2" as that's easier to find :)

someone else may be more knowledgable about the mufflers, mines a second hand no-name cannon :D

Update for all

Because I’m impatient, I went to my local exhaust shop and made some choices. I was going to do the Magnaflow muffler with 3” double wall tip but it would’ve been like 300 dollars since apparently Magnaflow increased prices per my shop. They also said, many times people who choose Magnaflow expect it to be louder so they end up coming back to remove resonators so I’d be in it for more money

the shop, based on what I explained, said I could go with an 8” cherry bomb Glasspack and a 3” double wall tip so that’s what I did. Paid like 160 for everything. I went by and paid and started it up, surprisingly it’s not that loud. I’m guessing these resonators are very restrictive. I haven’t driven it other than reving it up but it’s mellow and not ricey or loud at all. I hear more of my engine than the actual exhaust

Anyone who is on the fence, it’s fairly cheap and not loud. I’ll have more information as far as drone once I start driving it but first impression is I thought it would be louder so I’ll probably look into a cat delete or resonator

Back