AEM Drylow vs OEM filter.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Here is the follow up to a question that came up here by Unobtanium https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...r-CX-5-Today&p=6615328&viewfull=1#post6615328. A few days ago I removed the SRI and put the AEM back on for max low end torques. I reflashed the ecu afterwards ( I don't have an OEM tune).

I used my tuning laptop with Mazdaedit to log a run on the AEM filter, then I pulled over and put the OEM filter in and repeated the test.
The oem filter is the one that came with the car new, and probably has 1000-1500 miles on it. Both runs were made slightly down hill through 1st, second and third gear up to the fuel cut on each gear. The AEM filter flowed 155.82 grams per second. The OEM filter flowed 153.77 g/s. G/s difference is 2.05 or .13 cubic inch per second. The max timing advance was also 3* more on the AEM filter at 49*. Minimum IAT on both was 55*f.

Looks trivial but at at 4000 rpm that's 83 revs per second, x the additional .13 = 10.79 cubic inch (small pill bottle) extra air per intake per second. Just for reference, the 2.5l engine makes 1.22 hp per cubic inch (152ci/2.5L).

*Not saying our output increasing directly at 1.22hpx10.79ci
AEM
TFDd8vP.png

OEM
KH7ty4D.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the data, my kind of stuff...

No surprise there. All in all, the AEM drop-in is just a better overall filter and worth the penny, performance gains, or not...

I have a brand new one here I've been meaning to drop in, but with these cooler temps right now, it's hard to take the SRI off, but I just may tmw and make it my "What did you do to your CX-5 today." lol

"The oem filter is the one that came with the car new, and probably has 1000-1500 miles on it"

So its literally a brand new OEM filter. All downhill from there once it gets clogged up upon which people drive 20/30k+ more miles on it.

Last edited:
Back