Actual Keyless Operation - watchOS 8

My Apple Watch goes dead all the time. I wear it on a long bike ride and after 3-4 hours of use, it is dead.
And what brightness do you have the screen set to? Is the display always on? What functions do you have running during your ride? These make a huge difference in battery life. I've used GPS based tracking and bluetooth music playback for much longer than that without mine going dead.

Again, nobody here is saying that a watch or other device should be a singular replacement for the fobs. We aren't looking to force technology that you don't want to use onto you. We want to have options available.

I'd also like Apple to offer solar charging like Garmin does on some of their watches. That would be a good way to deal with potential watch battery rundown and make it relatively easy to get enough juice to get into the car. Lots of companies could stand to spend a little more time looking at what else is offered in the marketplace, and expand their narrow views on innovation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not understanding. Why are you reaching for a key fob in 2021 model? The fob can stay in your pocket unless there is something wrong with it or the vehicle.
With all due respect just as folks are often quick to point out that someone should’ve performed a search first, I would like to point out I asked for constructive ideas. It seems you did not read my full post before replying.

I don’t want a FOB anymore. I’m getting rid of the concept of having a wallet, too. Licesne, one backup card, phone, and watch. I’m looking into getting a data only SIM and leaving an old iPhone in the console to achieve “wireless” CarPlay (please note the use of quotes, folks). No idea if it’ll work but I’m researching.

Update - ordered a fob. I want to tear it down myself, even if it gets ruined on this first go. The idea of “baking” the internals into my phone case seems like a trade off solution to my not wanting a fob anymore, at least as a first step.

I am in the process of moving, so my abilities to really go at this will be sporadic.

With all due respect just as folks are often quick to point out that someone should’ve performed a search first, I would like to point out I asked for constructive ideas. It seems you did not read my full post before replying.

I don’t want a FOB anymore. I’m getting rid of the concept of having a wallet, too. Licesne, one backup card, phone, and watch. I’m looking into getting a data only SIM and leaving an old iPhone in the console to achieve “wireless” CarPlay (please note the use of quotes, folks). No idea if it’ll work but I’m researching.

Update - ordered a fob. I want to tear it down myself, even if it gets ruined on this first go. The idea of “baking” the internals into my phone case seems like a trade off solution to my not wanting a fob anymore, at least as a first step.

I am in the process of moving, so my abilities to really go at this will be sporadic.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Exactly, it would sure be nice to have that option. I don't think any of us are saying the key fob has to go away completely. The fob could still be used by those who have smart watch battery life anxiety (kinda like electric car range anxiety). I think it is Jaguar that offers an activity key bracelet for some models that functions in a similar fashion to what we are discussing for the smart watch. It supplements the fobs, doesn't replace them. Great for outdoor activities where you will or might get wet, don't want the bulk or annoyance of the fob, or the increased likelihood of dropping/losing the fob.
"smart watch battery life anxiety"?

I'll assume that you're talking about me and my comment? I have absolutely zero smart, or dumb, watch battery anxiety. Zero. Want to know why? I haven't worn a watch since 1985.

I'll assume that you're talking about me and my comment? I have absolutely zero smart, or dumb, watch battery anxiety. Zero. Want to know why? I haven't worn a watch since 1985.
Yes, I was referencing your questioning what happens if the watch battery goes dead.

Just because you brought up the point, doesn't mean the discussion then only focuses on you. The rest of us can continue to elaborate on the subject even if you personally haven't worn any kind of watch in 36 years. Not sure why you brought up the watch battery topic if you didn't want anyone to discuss it.

Exactly. I park my car, I venture out into the woods/trails for one or two hours running— the keyfob bouncing against my side is annoying to say the least.

Even better on race day— 26.2 miles and my only small coin pocket is taken up by my fob. .
There's a simple solution for these applications. Get a spare manual backup key for your coin purse and leave the fob in the vehicle. The vehicle will not squawk when locking/unlocking manually. While not an everyday solution it addresses this problem. I suggest a spare since I assume you would prefer not fumbling around with opening the fob to retrieve the manual key and then have to reinstall it.
Your opinion on the quality of Tesla's paint and panel alignment seems to not have a lot of relevance to the discussion about keyless entry technology.
Since you raise this new point I will say that there absolutely is relevance. Whether quality control or a bit of gadgetry, there is a cost. Choose your poison. There are all manner of improvement preferences in these pages and they all have a cost. In the $30-$40k range there are bound to be cost compromises and quality control should not be one of them.

At my last readings about Teslas, I see chips being replaced with actuators (huh?) so Elon can keep pushing product out the door and they have deactivated radar.

Since you raise this new point I will say that there absolutely is relevance. Whether quality control or a bit of gadgetry, there is a cost. Choose your poison. There are all manner of improvement preferences in these pages and they all have a cost. In the $30-$40k range there are bound to be cost compromises and quality control should not be one of them.

At my last readings about Teslas, I see chips being replaced with actuators (huh?) so Elon can keep pushing product out the door and they have deactivated radar.
I didn't raise a new point, I pointed out that you raising the point initially wasn't relevant, but good spin to find another way to continue "contributing" and pronounce your dislike of Tesla.

I get it, I'm not a big fan of a lot of things about the cars or brand either. But that doesn't invalidate that they're doing keyless much better than Mazda. Mazda has put development effort into Mazda Connect and redesigning a (worse in my opinion) new fob; and has delivered something sub-par in both regards.

Oh, and by the way... coin purse???? really????? Who under the age of 90 carries a coin purse? He's talking about a small pocket within his clothing. It all relates to the outdoor activities and use of technology that you've made it clear you can't relate to.

I didn't raise a new point, I pointed out that you raising the point initially wasn't relevant, but good spin to find another way to continue "contributing" and pronounce your dislike of Tesla.

I get it, I'm not a big fan of a lot of things about the cars or brand either. But that doesn't invalidate that they're doing keyless much better than Mazda. Mazda has put development effort into Mazda Connect and redesigning a (worse in my opinion) new fob; and has delivered something sub-par in both regards.

Oh, and by the way... coin purse???? really????? Who under the age of 90 carries a coin purse? He's talking about a small pocket within his clothing. It all relates to the outdoor activities and use of technology that you've made it clear you can't relate to.
I made my points on the Tesla, precipitated by you. If you stop counterpointing I'll stop replying.

There's more to it than some simple Mazda connect tweak when getting some other manufacturers device to interface with the vehicle. That's why BMW has partnered with Google (excuse me, Alphabet) to get Android to talk to their cars in the fashion the OP desires, and that's $'s. The device must speak the language of the car, so to speak.

Coin purse, coin pocket, who cares? See, right there, you introduced yet another counterpoint. Stop of if you don't want a replay. Anyway, a manual key was the suggestion and that fits the case either way, pocket or purse. While the OP is more digitalist that his claim to minimalism, my solution might resonate with some minimalist bone in his body.

His last idea involved baking the fob internals inside his phone?! And he was prepared to trash a fob in the process but not concerned about the phone!? You may want to urge him on, like "let Mikey try it," another anachronistic reference, but his wife is the reasonable one in that discussion.

You don't like the big fob? I don't blame you. I'm not fond of it either. Beats hair in my paint, though. There are third world problems and there and first world problems. I like to joke with my own wider scale--this one's a 1/32 world problem. Doors that don't close are not even acceptable in the third world but guess you can punch out anything you like if you call it a "beta version".

I mean, have you seen the modern con purse Zoom21? Pretty fancy these days!
Kors even makes one now! :D
Sure, and Coach makes a fanny pack. Or google "Mazda logo coin purse", lol. There's something for everybody in life's rich pageant except an iWatch that will unlock your Mazda door.

I made my points on the Tesla, precipitated by you. If you stop counterpointing I'll stop replying.

There's more to it than some simple Mazda connect tweak when getting some other manufacturers device to interface with the vehicle. That's why BMW has partnered with Google (excuse me, Alphabet) to get Android to talk to their cars in the fashion the OP desires, and that's $'s. The device must speak the language of the car, so to speak.

Coin purse, coin pocket, who cares? See, right there, you introduced yet another counterpoint. Stop of if you don't want a replay. Anyway, a manual key was the suggestion and that fits the case either way, pocket or purse. While the OP is more digitalist that his claim to minimalism, my solution might resonate with some minimalist bone in his body.

His last idea involved baking the fob internals inside his phone?! And he was prepared to trash a fob in the process but not concerned about the phone!? You may want to urge him on, like "let Mikey try it," another anachronistic reference, but his wife is the reasonable one in that discussion.

You don't like the big fob? I don't blame you. I'm not fond of it either. Beats hair in my paint, though. There are third world problems and there and first world problems. I like to joke with my own wider scale--this one's a 1/32 world problem. Doors that don't close are not even acceptable in the third world but guess you can punch out anything you like if you call it a "beta version".
You clearly have not read or comprehended what the OP has said in this thread, since you’ve incorrectly stated what he has said multiple times.

No further counterpoints, so feel free to leave the conversation as you promised.

This post reminds me of Christopher Walken. Just not sure if it’s more Pulp Fiction, or more True Romance. 😁

Yes, I was referencing your questioning what happens if the watch battery goes dead.

Just because you brought up the point, doesn't mean the discussion then only focuses on you. The rest of us can continue to elaborate on the subject even if you personally haven't worn any kind of watch in 36 years. Not sure why you brought up the watch battery topic if you didn't want anyone to discuss it.
I must have missed something? Where did I say that I didn't want anyone to discuss this subject?

I brought up the subject for exactly that, so that it can be discussed. Isn't that why we're here?

Just to clarify, he said he wanted to try baking the fob internals into his phone case, not actually within his phone. Personally, if I was interested in pursuing this, I'd try taping the internals to the back of the phone case to make sure it functions properly first. Just to make sure the phone itself doesn't interfere with or hamper the keyfob signal.

If that does work, then there are some phone cases out there that are a little more bulky, but have space dedicated to bank card/photo ID storage, and there are also "wallet" style cases. These options might have enough space in them to work with.

Back