A Little More Power? 2015 CX-5

:
2015 CX-5 GT
Is there something I can adjust, turn, push, add to get another 3-5 horsepower? If it would downshift a little better, that would help. I noticed that when I had a 2017 loaner, I didn't have that feeling of needing more power. It seems like with the same displacement, my 184 hp should be upgradeable to 187 hp.

Also, it resists downshifting, at times, until I go ahead and step down further than normal. I don't remember it being that way when it was new(er).

The previous gen is actually just a tad bit faster than the current non-turbo CX-5.

To answer your question, you can switch the OEM engine air filter for a K&N one. The K&N filter is less restrictive, so there will be a slight increase in power (but I doubt you'd be able to feel it via butt dyno). Also, the less restrictive filter means that finer particles will make it past the filter (compared to OEM). This is something to seriously consider if you live in a dusty climate.

I think the best option for you is a throttle controller like the Sprint Booster or the Pedal Commander. Neither of these options add power, but they modify the throttle sensitivity so that you don't have to depress the pedal as far to get the desired effect. I have a Sprint Booster on my car, and for me, it satisfies the want for more power until the JB4 becomes available.

"I use an AEM Dryflow air filter. Similar to K&N but none of the oil getting sucked into the intake system as there is no oil."

Oh, okay. Thanks for the tip, Nevada CX5! I will be taking note of that. Thank you very much!

I have a 2015 Touring with 84,000 miles on it, and I have not noticed anything like that. I believe that using premium gas gives you a few more horsepower, have you tried that? I am satisfied with the performance on regular, so I have not.

Is there something I can adjust, turn, push, add to get another 3-5 horsepower? If it would downshift a little better, that would help. I noticed that when I had a 2017 loaner, I didn't have that feeling of needing more power. It seems like with the same displacement, my 184 hp should be upgradeable to 187 hp.

Also, it resists downshifting, at times, until I go ahead and step down further than normal. I don't remember it being that way when it was new(er).
I'd be very impressed if you could feel a 1.6% difference in horsepower in blind testing.

I'd be very impressed if you could feel a 1.6% difference in horsepower in blind testing.
Exactly. 3-5 hp? That would do absolutely nothing as far as performance. The suggestions above for a throttle controller are the ticket. Better yet- trade to a 2019-21 with the turbo if you want to feel a serious difference in power....

Or, disconnect the battery for a while. Then, when you reconnect it the trans will have to "learn" your driving style, just as it had to when your CX-5 was new. Be sure to change the air filter, clean the MAF sensor, change the oil and change the plugs (if you haven't yet) before the battery disconnect. Then drive it the way you want it to learn your style.

I use an AEM Dryflow air filter. Similar to K&N but none of the oil getting sucked into the intake system as there is no oil.
I use one of these as well and really like it.
I have a 2015 Touring with 84,000 miles on it, and I have not noticed anything like that. I believe that using premium gas gives you a few more horsepower, have you tried that? I am satisfied with the performance on regular, so I have not.
Premium will get you more horsepower in the turbo model. In the NA engine, the only difference you'll notice is to your wallet. Both engines are designed for 87 octane. Use higher octane in the turbo if you want.

OP how many miles do you have on your 2015? maybe fresh fluids and filter changes would bring back the old peppiness of the car.

Or how about resetting the ecu to erase the “learned” driving behavior?

Running premium wont get you more power but it may prevent you from losing power if the engine senses knock on 87 and starts pulling timing. my 2014 felt sluggish and hesitant to respond when the outside temp was above 95F with 87 octane fuel. i switched to running 93 octane in the summer but you can probably try 89.

With the ecu tuned I run 93 now all the time and enjoy the claimed “20+ hp” increase.

With the ecu tuned I run 93 now all the time and enjoy the claimed “20+ hp” increase.
Has this been varified on a dyno? I find it doubtful you could extract 20hp from an NA motor with a tune alone. I have heard of folks getting more out of the 2.0 in the ND Miata, but it is a pretty extensive process.

Does the 2015 have a Sport button? It doesn't give you any more power but it feels as if it does, just a bit as it holds the gears longer before shifting. It does feel a bit more 'sporty'.

YMMV

Does the 2015 have a Sport button? It doesn't give you any more power but it feels as if it does, just a bit as it holds the gears longer before shifting. It does feel a bit more 'sporty'.

YMMV
I don't believe so. Think that started with the 2016.

Has this been varified on a dyno? I find it doubtful you could extract 20hp from an NA motor with a tune alone. I have heard of folks getting more out of the 2.0 in the ND Miata, but it is a pretty extensive process.
He did say “claimed ‘20+ hp‘ increase”.

here you go:

now we all know that dynos numbers can vary, but there is a definite felt increase of power, better throttle response, and drivability.

plus its cheaper than an intake and exhaust.

there’s also this chinese supercharger that some mazda6 folks are running. im saving my pennies for this:

i also looked into electric supercharging and decided its not practical at this time.

OP: I hate to be "that guy", but no one else has said it yet, so I will. If you want more power, buy a different car.

You can pick up a well worn 4th gen Camaro or Firebird with an LT1 or even LS1 that will absolutely blow even the "fastest" CX-5 off of the road for absolutely dirt cheap. Like, a couple thousand dollars at the most. Plus, there are GOBS of cheap power upgrades available for even more power that are easily installed.

Get yourself a toy for the weekend that you can beat on and have fun with, and just leave your absolutely excellent and reliable CX-5 alone.

I too hate to be that guy, but the OP isn’t looking for a weekend toy with 330 hp. All he wants is to add a bit of power so that his CX drives like his loaner did. He probably doesn’t have $3000 to spend on a clapped-out Chivvy, fuel, insurance and the obvious maintenance…

Back