7800 Whp

ghetto waggon

:
2003 Protege5, Yellow.
Had a friend that works on the crew for a top fuel racing team, invited me out for a behind the scenes visit to MIR last weekend.

Always interesting to witness 80x the power that we put out!

4 sec qtr mile
Burns 80 gal of Nitromethane in 1 mile
Engine rebuild every run
Titanium everything
Clutch alone costs $200,000

_MG_1062.jpg

_MG_1121.jpg

_MG_1128.jpg

Goofy (crowd-pleasing) truck with jet engine attached to its ass

_MG_1196.jpg

_MG_1236.jpg

lol I love the first picture where they're all wearing gas masks. That's how you know there's some serious s*** in there.

I have respect for anything that makes that much power. Only problem is it'll only make that for about 5 seconds. Sometimes less. Like the old addage goes, if you ain't got 2 minutes, you ain't got no game! ;)

super cool... an nhra event is on my must do list... i went to ihra a couple years ago but they didn't have top fuel then and it was more of a show then a race if you ask me...

they are definitely less organized than NHRA, but no doubt there was some serious competition.

Scotty's son set the world record for the pro-mod class on Saturday I believe.

Thanks for the pics and the factoids.

Reminds me of the old racers proverb: "To make a small fortune in racing, you must start with an even larger one"

20 gallons of fuel, engine rebuild, clutch, tires, other parts, etc. So how much does it cost for a single 4 second pass down the strip?

80 gal to the mile? (uhm)

Makes me wonder what performance car/truck/vehicle has the best power to MPG rating?

Last edited:
I imagine it will be less than 5 years before the show stoppers are hybrids and hydro powered.

But yes, $23 per gallon for the fuel, 20 gallons for the 1/4 run

...somebody has money

isn't that stuff basically liquid high explosive that they run through the things? Crazyness

Hey I was there Sat. Man I should've called you. Are you going to Petersburg this Saturday for the race?

Hey I was there Sat. Man I should've called you. Are you going to Petersburg this Saturday for the race?

sorry i missed you!

we were planning on going to NHRA this weekend in Richmond to follow the team, but they blew the engine and caused over $100,000 in damage, so theyre not going to run.

The truck ran a mid 7 qtr.

Back