5 gets T-boned by an H3

JingChuan

Vitriolist
:
2012 Mazda 5 GT
I guess this would be more of a capital T, as we got hit only in the very front end... thank God.

20afcwm.png

The H3 hit us going 30-35mph just barely ahead of the front wheel - maybe right at the front of the front wheel. Due to the low height and crumpleyness (!) of the Mazda, and the height and clearance of the H3, his front end actually went airborne over our front end (wow) which ended up causing the only apparent damage to the Hummer - a small cut / slow leak in the tire. That's it.

15xocba.png

The little Mazda didn't fare quite so well. I got slammed against the door pretty well (no airbags deployed, btw) and the microvan got spun 90 degrees which clearly was only 90 degrees since the H3 more or less went over us. My son was in the 3rd row, and he barely flinched. When I got my bearings, I turned around to check on him, and he was already back to reading his Minecraft book. (rolleyes) The other folks were already out of the H3, and checking on us. No injuries there, just a bit shook up. But back to the 5 - the hood was separated from the mounts, and was hanging on by a thread. I actually picked it up and laid it back on the top. The frame rails were bent pretty severely - maybe 90 degrees on the driver's side and the shock tower was separated from the unibody. The trans selector was way off. A cop asked me if I could move the 5 out of traffic, but it wouldn't go into any gear but reverse and that's when I had the selector in Drive. And that was lurching horribly. None of the other gear selections worked. There was a growing puddle of oil and/or trans fluid in the street in addition to the leaking coolant of course. So at the minimum there is some engine/trans leak, if not an outright crack. The passenger side fender was pushed out enough to prevent the passenger door from opening.

3128l0g.png

As I mentioned before, even though this sucks, I'm still thankful as it could have been way worse. Had this collision been more of a "+" than a "T" I would likely not be in any condition to be typing right now. I'd say much of the energy of the impact glanced off and over the 5 rather than into it. A couple feet forward and that H3 would've been in my lap.

We can still get around no problem though, since I still have Ol' Reliable in the garage - my gen 1 Tacoma. My kids are still small enough to fit in the back comfortably, and the wife takes public transportation to work anyway, so there shouldn't be much disruption in the transportation department at our house.

ziwvx3.jpg

Naturally this happens on a holiday weekend, so there will be a delay getting the adjuster to come out and see the van. Sorry I didn't get more pics of the engine bay, but I was understandably shook up a bit, and wasn't thinking of my display for the Mazda forum ;) I'll be sure to update when the adjuster comes out. He is supposed to call me so I can go to the storage lot and get more pics.

Otherwise - Happy Memorial Day, y'all. Remember the veterans who gave it all! (usa)

Well, obviously they blew the stop sign. New 5 to you! glad everyone is ok. Same thing with my accident. MASS always wins. I got hit head on on the highway by an elantra out of control, I was in an F150, I walked away, they never.

Well that sucks. Happy you and especially the little one are ok. You should still get checked out, to be on the safe. Will you be getting another 5?

Thanks for the well-wishes. I think we're both fine. The funny thing is, we were just talking about getting rid of the truck, since my construction project is done and we almost never use it anymore (about 3k miles/year for the last couple years) and the 5 was such a good multi-purpose vehicle, even for truck-type duties. I even attached a hitch for pulling a small trailer / rear luggage rack. There really wasn't much that the 5 couldn't do for the average small family, which continually makes me wonder why it has no real competition in the US.

All that being said, I think we might try to live life as a one car, umm one truck, family for now. Since both our vehicles are paid for, we sure got used to having no monthly payment, and if we don't really need another vehicle, why bother? Having multiple cars in the city can get to be a hassle.

Glad you are ok.
So what are you replacing the 5 with, another 5 or something new?
Or just gonna cash out the sale of the 5 and keep the cash for other projects?

Just the sort of impact that engineers cannot design a structure to absorb. Very glad the car did its job and protected you and yours.

Well after further review, the 5 is definitely a total. According to the inspector, the trans/engine were dislodged from their cradle, the two forward facing subframe members were way out of wack, one strut tower was separated from its part of the subframe, the block may have been cracked (leaked a bunch of oil) and the trans was most definitely opened up; I actually touched the trans fluid on the street. Regardless, the title has been signed over to the insurance co., and the check has been received. For your reference, it came in a hair under $17k, which I found to be acceptable for a 2012 GT with 37k miles, especially considering I already have an offer from my Mazda dealer on a new '15 GT for 22k; and I didn't even go shopping for one. My salesguy just threw that out when we were looking at the CX5. Who knows, we might get into another new (albeit outdated) 5 anyway. I mean, if he comes to the table at 22k, I'm sure there's more room there to play...(lol2)

That's not a T-bone, but still sucks. Sorry for you, bud.

Another vehicle head on struck the side of my 5. That vehicle was traveling at a 90 degree angle to my direction of travel. Drawing that out, it forms a "T," which I further qualified as "more of a capital T." Hence, the term "T bone."

Back