255/50R20 or 255/45R20?

nhokt

Hi, looking to size up to a 255 but can't decide between the 50 or 45 sidewall. I saw the other thread on the 255/50's anyone tried 255/45's? Pictures would be super helpful!

Thanks

Several points against 255/45 side wall
- diameter too small - affect odometer accuracy
- danger of wheel damage increases
- even more difficult to find tire chains (already so for 245/50R20) - danger of scratching the wheels

The difference in diameter between a 255/50 vs 245/50 is very small. I would do that if 245 is not available somehow.

Hi, looking to size up to a 255 but can't decide between the 50 or 45 sidewall. I saw the other thread on the 255/50's anyone tried 255/45's? Pictures would be super helpful!

Thanks

I went with the Mich Latitude Tour HP in 255/50R-20. The ride is great and the handling is super. I think going down to 45R will jeopardize the ride a bit along with looks. Contrary to some on the forum, I like Michelin tires.

BTW. They are NOT directional as many of the other tires are. Therefore I can rotate then as recommended.

My .02c

Tom

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just ordered up a set of Yok's in 255/50R20 from Discount Tire. Used the price match option and got them to beat Tire Rack. Can't wait to get rid of the Duelers before it snows!

How are the 255s versus the 245s that come with the GT? Any rubbing issues?

I have had the 255s on for over a year. I have found no rubbing nor any other problems with them. I keep them inflated to 35psi and they are wearing well and even.

Any unusual tracking issues with the 255s? I had not considered them before now. I was always looking at the 245s. It is easier to find 255s in stock. Just one small dumb question. The 255s also will fit on the stock rim correct?

Any unusual tracking issues with the 255s? I had not considered them before now. I was always looking at the 245s. It is easier to find 255s in stock. Just one small dumb question. The 255s also will fit on the stock rim correct?

No tracking problems at all and yes they fit on the stock 20" rim.

I have always though tracking problems could be caused by the tread pattern, but I have not had any problem with the Mich.

If at all possible, try to order the 245's. Yes, the 255's will work, and the speedo error will be under 3%, but to avoid potential wear issues that might only become obvious over time, go with the OE size. I doubt it will be any more expensive to get the factory size, just give yourself the extra few days for the tire dealer to locate them.

That said, you'll really like these Yokohama tires. They truly transform the vehicle.

I called around looking for the Yok's in the stock 245/50R20 size but kept hearing that they were on national backorder and that they may end up being dropped since some or most of the Parada line had already been. The 255/45R20 really needs a wider rim the the CX-9 offers and is actually off more than the 255/50. As a data point, Discount Tire matched Tire Rack on the price of the 255/50's and gave free shipping, just use the "Found a lower price" link and they will call you back with an offer. If you are thinking of getting the Parada's I would do it now in case the do get discontinued.

ps - speedo difference is 1.3% to slow.

Last edited:
I got the 255/50R20s because the 245/50R20s were not available and I had to wait too long. No rubbing issues so far. With regards to speedo, I used my GPS and observed a very small difference in speed (1 -2 mph more than GPS speed displayed). I think it's really not much to worry about. If I didn't have to wait the 2 weeks or more for the 245/50R20, I would have gotten them. but since I did not have a choice, I went with the 255/50R20s which are better than the duellers anytime.

Last question. When doing a "test" order from tire rack I input my vehicle info after selecting tire by size. I received a warning for the 255/50R20 yoko. It said "the load rating is higher for this tire than the original tire. This may cause a stiffer/noisier ride". I understand this is their blanket warning statement, but anyone experience a stiffer, filling rattling, ride or any extra road noise? My guess is not.

I did not experience the OEM duelers for long because I traded them in when i bought the car. As far as I can tell, there's really not much noticeable difference, at least not enough to bother me anyway. I'm satisfied with how it's performing. Looking forward to the first snow fall.

Back