2023 CX-5 Emblem / Badge Removal Warning

GTXT23

LightFoot
I putchased a new 2023 CX5 recenty and have had a boatload of Mazdas in the past -
TWO (2) - Reasons for this post - help others , and get suggestions on this topic!

As newer CX5 owners are aware ...there are multiple badges on the rear hatch.... CX-5 ( which are 4 seperate pieces , AWD - which are (3) and on pax side skyactive G - (1)
On turbos possibly another-?

I was going to remove all these badges while the vehicle is new so its a nice clean smooth colormatched hatch with no emblems - clean simple -
Have done this on prior vehicles with dental floss and a hair dryer as they are pretty easy to get off when new -instead of later when the bonding adhesive hardens up , and the paint fades around them - but Mazda got smart this year and put a peg on / behind each plastic chrome piece which threads thru a fully painted hole behind it !
Yes - this means if you remove them you have a series of unsightly holes where each badge was . Not a rust issue , but water can certainly enter thru them and it will look like cr-p .
I dont want to go to a body shop
to get them filled ,blended and painted..clear coated etc to match . kinda miffs me a bit -so I left them on -
But knowing the crafty nature of Mazda owners - someone might have a good suggestion to accomplish this feat - without exposing holes in the hatch and matching the color -
Thanx fellow M drivers !

Its like this for quite few years. Some of the badges have pins in the rear panel. Mazda forver :) You can look for plastic plugs but whatever you do will be obvious.

You can also get colour-matched vinyl stickers to place over the holes. A bit less unsightly than the plugs or the holes, but they'll still be visible to anyone paying attention.

You didn't say what color your car is but you could paint them to a color that matches so they will be less noticeable, great for white and also very dark colors. Just a suggestion. I have machine grey body color and painted all the emblems black... about all I could do. Good Luck.

My wifes Carbon CX5 AWD Turbo has 5 badges on the back. My
Plan is to buy all 5, have them professionally painted and
switch them out.

they are expensive btw.
The other option mentioned was to hyperdip or plastidip then if your car is dark colour. May be even on the white it would look ok.

My wifes Carbon CX5 AWD Turbo has 5 badges on the back. My
Plan is to buy all 5, have them professionally painted and
switch them out.
Curious how much --approx - Im guessing 5 Ben's to get it done well -- if I had the scratch I would do exactly the same - -- possibly a B4 and AFTA pic ??

they are expensive btw.
The other option mentioned was to hyperdip or plastidip then if your car is dark colour. May be even on the white it would look ok.
great info - Thnx ! the head scratcher on this one is I already paid $600 xtra 4 the Rohid White
... so I either go full on body shop OE color or nada- Im concerned years down the line those holes bubble out with bondo ? not going to try my hand at body work -- wife would poison my coffee if I f'd it up ..appreciate the options , great forum !

Some examples of black emblems on a white CX-5 and a white Highlander. Not a perfect representation, but you get the idea. Keep in mind that if you black out the rear emblems, you should also consider doing the front emblem (if possible).

maxresdefault.jpg

165790.jpg

If it were me, I'd probably opt to have it done professionally, but I would also try to DIY it first. Might as well, if a body shop is going to do it anyway.

Hmmm, today I pulled into my parkade and saw something shiny in my spot, it was this .... 2024 sig week n half old
1707262331945.jpeg

Last edited:
I really want to know if the CX-5 has pins or not. I mean, after I picked it off the ground I thought, this would look alot better with all this crap gone

I really want to know if the CX-5 has pins or not. I mean, after I picked it off the ground I thought, this would look alot better with all this crap gone

Pretty sure only the center Mazda logo has pins. At least on my 2019 and also my 2023 CX-50.

Hmmm, today I pulled into my parkade and saw something shiny in my spot, it was this .... 2024 sig week n half old
Looking at that, it seems the double-sided tape was for separate "A W D" letters, and they stuck the all-in-one AWD badge over it. Bizzarre!

Back