2019 CX-9 Need help removing trim around shifter

skidmarc11

'19 CX-9 GT
Hello Mazdas 247 community, my wife and I just purchased a 2019 CX-9 GT 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. One of the very few things that irk us is how easily the piano black trim pieces show scratches. I got a roll of dark wood vinyl that I would like to wrap the piano back pieces in but I cannot figure out a way to remove the center console properly without damaging any of the trim pieces. I found a video on YT where someone explains how to do, but doesn't actually do it. My question is, does anyone have a diagram or instructions on how to remove the center console section (where the commander knob and shifter are)?

I actually was looking to do the same, so I collected all the necessary documents for the various trim removal. I will send you the documents, check you private messages. I haven't got to it yet though (lack of time and it isn't too scratched up yet.) It doesn't seem too hard but I would definitely invest in some trim removal tools.

If you do go through with it, I would be very interested to see pictures of the results, (and a How-to on this forum would be great as well).

Upvote 0
I actually was looking to do the same, so I collected all the necessary documents for the various trim removal. I will send you the documents, check you private messages. I haven't got to it yet though (lack of time and it isn't too scratched up yet.) It doesn't seem too hard but I would definitely invest in some trim removal tools.

If you do go through with it, I would be very interested to see pictures of the results, (and a How-to on this forum would be great as well).

@youri if you wouldn't mind, could you send me those documents as well? :)

Upvote 0

Add me to the list of interested parties please. Mine came pre scratched and I’ve been trying to live with it but I don’t think I can

Upvote 0
Since there seems to be quite a few people interested, anyone have an idea on what to do with the shifter letters? I don’t particularly need them to show, but to be as OEM looking as possible, I’d think they would need to be cut out

Upvote 0
I was thinking it would need to be cut out in the vinyl wrap In a similar way that the carid covers do. I remember someone on this forum had done a kit similar to this, but the cutout wasn’t lining up perfectly, and these are fairly thick. Wasn’t sure if i was a big fan of the thickness.

Edit: not sure why my link shows up as “security check”. It works but if you don’t trust it you can google “carid dash kit”

Upvote 0
I was thinking it would need to be cut out in the vinyl wrap In a similar way that the carid covers do. I remember someone on this forum had done a kit similar to this, but the cutout wasn’t lining up perfectly, and these are fairly thick. Wasn’t sure if i was a big fan of the thickness.

Edit: not sure why my link shows up as “security check”. It works but if you don’t trust it you can google “carid dash kit”
Holy crap that looks horrible 😂 I can see the cutout though. That makes sense. Having wrapped interior panels before, I think getting a cutout to line up with the letters will be hard. Maybe a thin piece of cardboard/plastic a little smaller than the final cutout will be can be taped over the letters and vinyl wrapped over top of and then trimmed around after the fact?

Upvote 0
It would be tough to make the cutout look clean enough to pass as OEM, so I think I would actually just cover it up completely and either get some vinyl stickers to put on top of the wrap, or just use the digital readout in the instrument cluster to see what gear I'm in.

Upvote 0
I don’t have much experience with wrapping but we might be able to get something good looking by using knifeless tape to do the cutout in the wrap

Upvote 0
I don’t have much experience with wrapping but we might be able to get something good looking by using knifeless tape to do the cutout in the wrap

I’ve used knifeless tape. You’d have to have an edge to start it from. I don’t think it’ll work well in this situation. I think @sm1ke is right. New letters would look best

Upvote 0
Hard to explain, but i was thinking to do a rough cut in the middle of the area to cut out, start my line there and “ circle around”. Or you could open the side closest to the shifter (do a 3 sided cutout). Would i have enough skill to apply the knife tape in a straight line ? Probably not.

Sm1ke ideas is pretty good. I don’t remember if the letters are illuminated at night, that would be the only issue ( although not that big of an issue with overhead ambient light and the dash displayed gear selection)

Upvote 0
I think I know what you're trying to explain @youri. I didn't even think of that, but I think it could work. I have some knifeless tape, just haven't gotten around to using it for anything yet.

On my 2018, the letters are not illuminated, but there is an indicator light beside each letter that illuminates as you move the shift lever.

Upvote 0
The letters on my 2016 seem to light up when the dash illuminates. There’s also the orange lights next to them. I wonder if I am seeing just the overhead light and white letters or if it’s something they removed in later years

Upvote 0
The letters on my 2016 seem to light up when the dash illuminates. There’s also the orange lights next to them. I wonder if I am seeing just the overhead light and white letters or if it’s something they removed in later years

Oh, I didn't bother to check with the low beam headlights on and while I was in the dark. Maybe they do light up?

Upvote 0
Back